Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 29, 2011, 01:14 PM
Rookie

Default Budget motherboard + CPU recommendations

Hey everyone, I'm the one with the fried motherboard/PSU in the troubleshooting section (thanks again for all the advice over there :) )

I've decided to just do a small internal overhaul of my computer. Not planning to spend too much, just something to hold me over until I get a new computer in two years.

Here's where I am:
- All I need is a motherboard and a CPU, around $140 combined or less. Preferably something available at NCIX since it's the closest computer store near me, but I'm open to any store in Vancouver.

- I have the Thermaltake TR-2 430W (Thermaltakeusa**Power Supply**400W - 600W**TR2 Standard 430W PSU : TR2 Standard 430W PSU W0070RUC) and I'm planning to get either the 4gb or 8gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 ram so has to be compatible with those.

- This computer is mostly for productivity, mostly Internet and Word. Won't be gaming on this, so things like crossfire, SLI, overclocking etc aren't that important.

* One thing that did bug me before is that I do have a 1080i camcorder and find playback and editing video was very choppy with my old processor (Intel D 805 with 2gb ram). So something at least fast enough to handle 1080i and basic video editing would be nice.

- Not much of a preference in brands, Intel, AMD, Gigabyte, Asus . . as long as it's reliable enough to last at least 2 years, hopefully more since I'll be handing this over to the parents eventually.

Oh and I may have to purchase them by tomorrow or the latest next week, wish I could wait for price drops after Bulldozer but I have to get this computer up and working again asap!

Thanks in advance!
Old July 29, 2011, 06:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

that's not enough of a budget for a basic video editing build.. or really any new build at all.
Old July 29, 2011, 07:03 PM
Banned
F@H

you need an i3,sandy bridge preferably if you wont oc. ncix has a special on a combo,see to that..but its about 80 bones outside your budget.
Old July 29, 2011, 10:26 PM
Rookie

Thanks, well when I'm talking basic editing, I mean the basic-est of basics. Like Microsoft Movie Maker level. I was actually able to use Movie Maker and a basic Sony Vegas Movie Studio when I was using the 805, it stuttered a bit but I could get through. I'm thinking just a quarter or half bump up should do it.

The new computer I'm getting in two years will be for serious movie editing. :)
Old July 29, 2011, 10:27 PM
Banned
F@H

its gonna be a hell of a bump vs your old d and worth every penny

plus its going to help out in the psu department as well
Old July 30, 2011, 12:14 AM
Banned

I'd honestly look at a Liano AMD setup, top end cpu & board would also probly be another $80 then what ur looking to spend. FM1 is at least gurenteed 2 years support vs a intel sandy bridge's platform.
Old July 30, 2011, 06:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Maybe a phenom ii 555 and pick up a cheap board with a core unlocker, this is the only way I really see you being able to stay in budget and get something decent.

This *might* be able to unlock to a 3 or 4 core CPU which would give you pertty good performance.

AMD Phenom

NCIX.com - Buy MSI 870-G45 ATX AM3 870 DDR3 2PCI-E16 PCI-E1 3PCI SATA2 GBLAN Audio CrossFireX Motherboard - MSI/MicroStar - 870-G45 - in Canada

Oh yeah but I recommend upgrading to sandy bridge as well.

Last edited by JJThomp; July 30, 2011 at 06:13 AM.
Old July 30, 2011, 06:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

NCIX has a different "value bundle" each week that you should take a look at. I don't like this week's bundle though because it's a refurb motherboard.
At your price point and your short-term goal, you may be better off trying to buy up a used Socket 1156 i3 or i5 bundle.
Old July 30, 2011, 09:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you would need at least an athlon II X3 or X4, or phenom Ii X2 BE (555 is the ideal candidate) unlockable to 4 cores for videoediting
Old July 30, 2011, 03:58 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the advice again everyone. I finally got around to doing a bunch of research, looking at benchmarks, store availability, etc. and I'm leaning toward the Athlon X2 260 + Asus M4A78LT-M LE. If my price matching goes through, will be about $110. Or I may go for the X3 455 for $20 more, but it's sold out at my store so I may have to wait another week. I think the benchmarks are close enough that I'm not too worried. I should add that my video editing is also really casual at the moment, only a few times a year or less, was just hoping it would be good enough if I ever need it.

JJThomp, I like your build suggestion too, I'll take a look at that a bit more later.

I was also hoping to save my two DVD drives which still work fine, but they use PATA and I couldn't find any budget Sandy Bridge motherboards that have PATA. Many of the AM3 boards do have it, which is why I may be going with AMD, but if anyone knows of a good budget board with PATA, let me know. Thanks again!