Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 2, 2011, 08:16 AM
Banned
F@H

well, look up what two cards eat at peak/maximum power, then factor in the rest of your system,then give it another

bit of overhead(50-150 watts to be sure) and then make your choice. we're talking 12v watts here, so look up a review or specs of a

good psu like corsair,seasonic, antec...and then get it

if you are sure about a second card, long term its cheaper to get an 850 now then a 600 now and an 850 later.

edit : that xeon is priced nicely, so if you dont oc itll be a killer for the casho, but not all boards take em i hear
Old August 2, 2011, 08:18 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

A PSU will draw the power it needs. However, the more ineffecient a psu is, the more power it has to draw to meet the demands of the system. Which is why it is best to get a psu that is 80+...that means at least 80% of the power it draws is converted to power the system. The rest is given off as heat. A more efficient psu means less waste and less heat.

Your video card needs a minimum 450W supply, with two your going to need more power obviously. A good one...(Seasonic, Corsair, XFX are the ones you will see most recommended on these forums) that is 80+ in the 600W to 650 W range should be sufficient to run two cards.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old August 2, 2011, 02:51 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
we're talking 12v watts here, so look up a review or specs of a good psu like corsair,seasonic, antec...and then get it

if you are sure about a second card, long term its cheaper to get an 850 now then a 600 now and an 850 later.

edit : that xeon is priced nicely, so if you dont oc itll be a killer for the casho, but not all boards take em i hear
I totally agree here. First time for everything :p

If you are going to SLI the GTX 460 later i'd just go with the Thermaltake XT 775 now.

Like was posted, the PSU only uses the wattage the system needs at any given time. So at idle it's only pulling a few watts. All PSU are most efficient between 45%-60% of their rated wattage. They will last longer and create less heat (waste less electricity) when in this range.

The barebones min wattage for your rig is like 350watts, but virtually no PSU could sustain 100% draw for any period of time. That's why the GTX 460 says 450 watts required
Old August 3, 2011, 02:32 PM
Rookie

So you guys said XFX was good right? What about this one? It seems to be a good price

XFX 750W PRO750W Core Edition
NCIX.com - Buy XFX 750W PRO750W Core Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 62A 24PIN ATX Power Supply 80PLUS Bronze PSU - XFX - P1750SNLB9 - in Canada

Also what stores to you recommend for buying parts? So far I've been looking at: Tiger Direct, Newegg, Canada Computers, NCIX, Infonec, Direct Canada and Best Direct. Is there other suppliers I should try? Also it would be nice if the store had a location for pick up in the GTA. Let me know if you guys know any good store. Thanks again
Old August 3, 2011, 02:35 PM
Banned
F@H

meh at the mir..but if it comes in thats good. yup,decent unit.

stick to the big stores,pricematch if you can and youll be fine.

where exactly you buying from again?
Old August 3, 2011, 02:52 PM
Rookie

So far I've only bought from Tiger Direct and Newegg but I have been looking at purchasing from Canada Computers, NCIX, Infonec, Direct Canada or Best Direct. Here are my reasons for considering these sites.

Canada Computers/Infonec
Reason: Local to my area (which is around the GTA and Toronto) so I can drop in and pick up the item to avoid shipping charges
Websites:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/
Infonec Computers - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPUs and much more

Direct Canada/Best Direct
Reason: Cheap prices and if the order is over a certain amount they sometimes drop the shipping charges
Websites:
Buy Computer Parts, Computer Hardware, PC Parts at Best Online Computer Shop - DirectCanada
BestDirect.ca - Canada's Technology Source

NCIX/Tiger Direct/Newegg
Reason: Sometimes have good sale prices and seem reasonably well known
Websites:
NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Online PC Discount Store, Buy Computer Accessories
TigerDirect.ca- Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Accessories, PC Components & Electronics
Newegg Canada - Computer Products, Laptops, Electronics, HDTVs, Digital Cameras, Cellphones and More!
Old August 3, 2011, 03:13 PM
Banned
F@H

go with your wallet,like a bud says. whatever is cheapest.

sometimes waiting a week in shipping is worth it,other times not quite when its a 2 dollar difference.

love the feeling of walking in a pc store, feel like a 3 yo lol in a toy store.
Old August 3, 2011, 03:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hey hey Dan..... I did get my XFX rebate back for $30....

I say go for the XFX unit :)

-Plato
Old August 3, 2011, 03:45 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

NCIX and Direct Canada are owned by the same group. Your best bet is to shop around with a site like Shopbot.ca and price match everything. You can usually save yourself some money on every item. Direct Canada gives you free shipping over $50 generally and they are pretty decent....at least i haven't had any issues with them.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old August 4, 2011, 09:57 AM
Rookie

Yep comparison shopping is a must and I'm pretty decent at it. I think the XFX deal is over and I missed it but I found another deal with cooler master. Is cooler master good enough to trust at power supplies? Here is the deal.

Coolermaster GX 750W
http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=028287

I also saw another deal for a Thermaltake modular power supply and I'm wondering whether I can trust them as well.

Thermaltake TRX-750M
Infonec Computers - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPUs and much more : THERMALTAKE 750W MODULAR 14CM FAN, ATX 12V 2.3, 4X PCI-E, 7X SATA CONNECTOR, 80+ STANDARD

One more brand I wasn't sure I could trust was OCZ I saw this deal but I'm not sure if I should go for it

OCZ OCZ750FTY 750W Fatal1ty Series Power Supply
OCZ FATAL1TY Series 750W ATX 24PIN SLI Ready Modular Cables 135mm Red Fan 80+ Bronze Power Supply - DirectCanada

Right now I'm leaning towards the OCZ deal.

Last edited by sstrucel; August 5, 2011 at 09:40 AM.

Tags
budget , build , hard drive , power supply