Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 27, 2011, 05:42 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default New "long term" build for gaming/video editing

Hi ! I'm currently looking to replace my current 5 years old PC. This is my second build and this time I'm looking for a build that will last me another 5 years. I will be using this PC (in frequency order) for general purposes, gaming, music recording, 720p video editing, programming.

I'm actually running two monitors at 1440x900 but will be upgrading to two 1920x1080 in about a year.

Budget is around 1500-1600$. I'll be buying in around a month or two.

I do not plan on overclocking for now. Maybe I'll try it later on, but right now I'm not comfortable with the idea.

So here's the build I assembled, tell me if I did something wrong or anything. Thanks !

Processor
Intel Core i7 2600K
I need something that should last me a few years, so I guess I'm better with a powerful CPU.

Graphic card
XFX Radeon HD 6950 XXX 830MHZ 2GB
This is the one I'm not sure. Since I don't plan on overclocking, I figured I should get a "pre-overclocked" card. I prefer ATI to NVidia and I choose XFX since they have a kick-ass warranty, which is something I like.

Motherboard
ASUS Sabertooth P67
I was going with the P8P67 Pro, but this one seems more reliable on the long run for 20 bucks.

RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
Never had G.Skill before, but I heard good things about them.

Hard Drives
Corsair Force 3 Series 120GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB SATA3
Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB SATA2
The Corsair is for OS, most used applications, editing, etc.
Big WD fan here, the Caviar Black is for storage and the Green will be used as a backup for the two othe drives.

Power supply
XFX 750W PRO750W XXX Edition
I was looking for a modular power supply, this one seems to do the job. Not sure about the wattage, do I need more ? I don't plan on going Crossfire or anything.

Case
Corsair Obsidian Series 650D
I don't like those shiny alien-looking LED-glowing gaming cases, so I went with something a little more understated. I'm open to suggestions here, but keep in mind my budget for a case is around 150 bucks. I don't like all-grill cases like the Antec Nine Hundred and I would love a front USB 3.0, since it's a "futureproof" build.

So, what do you guys think ?

Last edited by jessydiamond; July 27, 2011 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Added a few details
Old July 27, 2011, 06:15 AM
Banned
F@H

besides giving the haf 912 for a third of your choice price a try?

looking good. if you build this moment. i would get at least one of the monitors right now though.

night and day difference.

also some may say get the z68 version of the mobo you chose.

edit where are my manners. welcome aboard
Old July 27, 2011, 06:24 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
besides giving the haf 912 for a third of your choice price a try?
Nah, I don't like it. Not sleek enough.

Quote:
also some may say get the z68 version of the mobo you chose.
The Sabertooth is not available with the Z68 chipset. I would have to go with the P8Z68-V PRO.

Quote:
where are my manners. welcome aboard
Thanks !
Old July 27, 2011, 06:33 AM
Banned
F@H

i guess click on checkout then? :)

but not before looking for another 6950,perhaps with a rebate(mir's i hate lol)

also i wouldve gone with a pair of 2tb greens vs 1 black and 2 green. dont forget to do the widle3 park thing
Old July 28, 2011, 04:54 PM
Rookie

Sounds like my PC!

I went with the Corsair 600T special edition case: NCIX.com - Buy Corsair Graphite Series 600T Special Edition White Mid-Tower Case ATX 4X5.25 6X3.5INT USB 1394 No PS - Corsair - CC600TMW-WHITE - in Canada
It's similar in price to the one you've picked out. I really like the white look; more than I expected.

I opted for the P8Z68-V Pro.

Same processor and video card; and I've been very happy with both. Honestly, I'm not sure what I can throw at this processor to get it above 50%!

I did cheap out on the hard drives; only going for a 1TB 7200 RPM drive. I think SSD would make a noticeable difference in performance. I also decided to go with a non-modular power supply... which was a mistake but not a huge one. If I was doing it again I would've gone with a modular power supply.

Overall; you've basically picked what I would've if I was doing it all over again.
Old August 15, 2011, 04:06 PM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Just wondering how this build went? I am about to order the same thing debating on what graphics card to get though?
Im a bit out of the loop, but how does the HD 6950 compare to and equivalent nvidia card , which im assuming would be the 570 or 580?

If someone could comment and help me out and then I can put my order in :D.... also what would be a recommended CPU cooler please.

Thanks guys
Old August 15, 2011, 06:18 PM
Top Prospect

Whats your budget?

You could go for a 560Ti or 570 and for a cooler I'd recommend a Cooler master V6GT, Thermaltake Frio or Thermalright Venomous X
Old August 15, 2011, 11:34 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessydiamond View Post
Power supply
XFX 750W PRO750W XXX Edition
I was looking for a modular power supply, this one seems to do the job. Not sure about the wattage, do I need more ? I don't plan on going Crossfire or anything.

So, what do you guys think ?
If you sure about not adding another GPU, a good 550W will handle your system no problem, lets say a corsair CX/GS600 for a bit of headroom?

For case go for 912 as Dan suggested :)
Old August 16, 2011, 12:32 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Id go with a modular Corsair PSU after reading extensive benchmarks about power supplies. The 750W (HX-750) modular PSU from Corsair is under rated too, and is putting out about 913W at max load according to several benchmarks. As for efficiency, its rating around 90-93% which is amazing to say the least. The price on it is pretty cheap too for how efficient it is, and the output in wattage it can do as well. Just something to keep in mind in case down the road you want to crossfire your cards, you would be more then properly prepared. Although I think your PSU you have selected is fine as well, and 750W for your system is definitely overkill by a lot. Only thing would be to keep in mind is 2 video cards down the road like I mentioned.

Here is the review;
Overclock3D :: Review :: Corsair HX750w (750w) ATX PSU :: Introduction & Specifications

And heres the PSU on sale @ NCIX;
NCIX.com - Buy Corsair Professional HX750W 750W ATX 12V 62A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply Active PFC 140MM Fan - Corsair - CMPSU-750HX - in Canada

Cheers, and good luck!

Old August 16, 2011, 01:09 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Not sure if cooling is a big as a matter to you as me, but would also look at the Silverstone cases such as FT03 and Raven Series. I have a Raven02-Evolution and saw the temps drop, great cable routing and quick HD swapping when needed. Although mine doesn't have the USB 3.0 ports, Raven 03 does.

It is a bit more but I tend to find that good cases can last several builds so why not spend a bit more and get a nice one.