Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 25, 2011, 04:36 PM
Rookie

Default New Intel-based build

Current PC is 3 years old so I believe its time for a completely new build. Im planning on buying the parts from NCIX because I got my previous build from there, so heres my list.

CPU cooler: NCIX.com - Buy Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance CPU Cooler System LGA775 1366 1156 AM2 AM3 - Corsair - CWCH100 - in Canada
I just want a small closed loop system, not an uber custom built one. Any other recommendations? Im leaning towards water cooling because its more efficient for heat dissipation.

CPU : NCIX.com - Buy Intel Core i7 960 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 3.2GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA1366 4.8GT/S Retail Box - Intel - BX80601960 - in Canada
My friend said for some reason the 960 is more overclockable than the 950? Not sure whats up with that, but this is the one im planning on getting I guess.

MOBO : NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte X58-USB3 ATX LGA1366 X58 DDR3 3PCI-EX16 3PCI-EX1 PCI USB3 SATA2 CrossFireX SLI Motherboard - Gigabyte - GA-X58-USB3 - in Canada
Wanted a dependable brand, not really planning on crossfiring or SLI'ing.

RAM : NCIX.com - Buy Corsair Vengeance CMZ6GX3M3A1600C9 6GB 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Triple Channel Memory Kit - Corsair - CMZ6GX3M3A1600C9 - in Canada
Im mostly gonna be gaming, so I dont need an excessive amount of RAM, this seems good for the price.

OS : NCIX.com - Buy Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT DVD OEM - Microsoft - GFC-00599 - in Canada
Because 64 bit can recognize more RAM than 32 bit

PSU : NCIX.com - Buy Silverstone Strider 750 Plus 750W Modular Power Supply ATX 24PIN 135mm Fan 60A 80+ Silver Black - Silverstone Technology - ST75F-P - in Canada
A modular PSU, high efficiency, not looking to SLI or crossfire.

HDD : NCIX.com - Buy Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 32MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM - Western Digital WD - WD5002AALX - in Canada
Was debating on whether to get this or the velociraptor... I only use around 150GB currently. I want something that has a decent amount of performance.

CASE : NCIX.com - Buy Cooler Master Haf 932 Advanced Full Tower EATX Case 7X5.25 2X3.5 5X3.5INT USB3.0 eSATA 1394 Black - COOLERMASTER - RC-932-KKN5-GP - in Canada
Im looking to get a full tower case mainly for air flow and such. Was thinking between this and the antec 1200.

Now, im gonna be transfering the 5850 I currently have (I got this from a friend) and am not looking to upgrade my vid card too soon.

Couple of things that I may be looking to change, the mobo/cpu/ram combo, I was thinking of maybe getting the intel 2500k with an appropriate motherboard to be cheaper than the i7 combination, but im not sure if itll last as long as the i7 build, some benchmarks [/url]I looked at the i5 2500k mopped the floor, but it doesnt have hyperthreading (is that even needed for gaming, if not, then it might be a better choice).

And for the HDD choices, if there are any better recommendations let me know.

Also, I dont know which brand is best for CD/DVD read/writers.

I also would use newegg or any other dependable site.
Old July 25, 2011, 05:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

nonono, go for the 2500k on a P67 - hyperthreading is absolutely not needed for gaming. Don't bother with buying a new X58 platform at this point. you'll need dual channel ram as well.

I'd also hit up a TB black drive.. it shouldn't be too much more then 500 GB, the price per GB is much better, and the drive should be slightly quicker.
Old July 25, 2011, 05:10 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
nonono, go for the 2500k on a P67 - hyperthreading is absolutely not needed for gaming. Don't bother with buying a new X58 platform at this point. you'll need dual channel ram as well.

I'd also hit up a TB black drive.. it shouldn't be too much more then 500 GB, the price per GB is much better, and the drive should be slightly quicker.
+1

also, look into getting a good air cooler; SB can overclock like a beast on air, and it could save you some money
Old July 25, 2011, 05:10 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I would say go with a 2500k build. Most games right now don't really take advantage of hyperthreading that well. There will be people tell you to grab a ssd for your OS, then a 1TB for storage.

Now thats not say I don't think you wouldn't enjoy the build you listed.

edit...guess I was too slow
Old July 25, 2011, 05:21 PM
Banned
F@H

2500k ftw.

choice of mobo is yours,anywhere from the p67 to the z68 mobos.

besides try the cheap but great 912 for case, i dont see much to add on top of the above gent's
Old July 25, 2011, 07:52 PM
Rookie

any recommendations for the dvd/cd drive?

As I also said, I barely use 150GB right now... so I dont need a boat load of storage. MAy consider an SSD
Old July 25, 2011, 08:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredkruge View Post

As I also said, I barely use 150GB right now... so I dont need a boat load of storage. MAy consider an SSD
Go with a small ssd and a storage hdd IMO, you get the speed of the ssd with at least some storage, you might not use much storage now but it does tend to build up.

Have not bought a optical drive in years but I would say Pioneer or Sammies keeping in mind it has been awhile since I bought one. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old July 26, 2011, 02:18 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredkruge View Post
All more or less are same crap, and the Samsungs are very loud. The best for was the Asus (which I use now) - Quiet and works very well so far.
Old July 26, 2011, 05:19 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Definately an SSD + for the price a 2TB Seagate SATA3 for storage.
I prefer PC Power & Cooling over Silverstone but both are great PSUs.
I just don't like that case, I really like the Corsair cases.

As mentioned above I agree on going with a 2500k instead of the 960 for gaming.

I know this isn't the place but I have an unopened 2600k that I have decided I don't need atm that I would part with for somewhere between the price of both CPUs, shipped anywhere in Canada.