Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 19, 2011, 05:41 PM
Top Prospect

Default Help w/ new build pls pls

Hello,

I can get all the help I need w/ this build. Generally I'd know how to match up all compatible parts but I've never done an AMD rig nor have I been keeping with the current technology. I am trying to make a Gaming rig which I would use for gaming but that isn't my highest priority, I just want a "gaming rig" because it is powerful.

Purpose of the build (Budget: $1000-1200 CAD)
Highest to lowest priority
  • Ruby on Rails Programming (need Linux or Mac Osx for this)
  • Designing (Web development and 3d meaning Maya, Photoshop, Zbrush; will use windows for this)
  • Reading and Writing ( I do a lot of reading and writing pdfs and docs what not; I want to use OSx for this)
  • Gaming (The goal is to play everything on highest, not a must though!)
  • Media Center (Netflix, Hulu, Youtube and the world wide web )

Brand Preference
  • AMD Processor
  • ATI Graphic card (if there is a problem w/ compatibility, then EVGA/XFX)
  • Asus mobos (again, not a must but a nice to have
  • All parts must be X86 compatible. (Don't worry about this if you do not know how to check, I can check later)

Parts reusing
  • Corsair 430W PSU
  • Hard Drive (though I might add SSDs if I have some money left over)
  • Keyboard, Mouse, Webcam, Monitor

General Questions
  • Q. Do you plan on overclocking?
    A. I might but you do not need to worry about this as I probably will not.
  • Q. When will you build?
    A. ASAP
  • Q. Where will you buy this gadgetry?
    A. I was going to buy this from Newegg.ca (Hence, currency CAD). If you have a good alternative in Canada, suggestions are welcomed.
  • Q. What other parts do you want to get?
    A. As I said, SSDs but I am definitely buying a new DVD burner/reader.

Thank you

In closing, I would like to thank you for reading the whole thread and helping me. Just reading this big post deserves a thank you from me. As I said earlier, I will be installing Mac on this if Linux gives me troubles. I know it might seem unethical (it is) but there is no other workaround for me, I am looking for a Gaming pc on and also a Mac I do not see a point in me buying two computers. If I have a Mac and put windows on it, its the same breach of EULA. I would rather install Mac on a gaming rig. I have considered everything and this seems to be the best way to move forward. Again, thanks for your help. Avoid linking any EULAs and shz I already know its a breach and I am only asking for compatible parts in the cases when Linux/Windows give me trouble.

Last edited by ziikutv; July 19, 2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old July 19, 2011, 06:13 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Just a couple of suggestions here:

Newegg.ca - AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDE00ZFBGRBOX for about $190

Newegg.ca - ASUS M5A99X EVO AM3+ AMD 990X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard for about $170

Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case for about $60. I am a huge fan of this case.

Not sure what you shoud get for a video card, especially with only a 430w psu. I would suggest going to a more powerful psu, maybe a 600-650w. That way you could get a more powerful video card for your design work.
Old July 19, 2011, 06:30 PM
Top Prospect

Thank you very much. Yes those are the parts that i picked. I wanted the Raven V1 case but seems no one has it.

Do you think I need six cores or four cores would be okay?
Old July 19, 2011, 06:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'd say 6 cores would be preferred for 3D development.
For purchasing, if you're in the GVRD or GTA I'd suggest going to NCIX and buying in store, or memex if you're in edmonton/calgary or winnipeg.
Old July 19, 2011, 06:40 PM
Top Prospect

I am in Toronto. I know NCIX, I wish I can work there :P
Can you help me with the build though?
Old July 19, 2011, 06:41 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I am not familiar with some the programs you mentioned you would be working on, so I suggested the hexacore to be safe. It won't hurt to have the extra processing power, especially if you are going to have multiple programs running at once, but you could probably get away with using a quad.

I suggested that particluar motherboard as it is built for the new bulldozer cpus going to be released in the next couple of months. A good upgrade path for you in the next year or so.

Looking again at what you are looking at doing, you are likely going to want 8 gb of ram for sure. You have any preference there?
Old July 19, 2011, 06:47 PM
Top Prospect

Are the CPUs actually called that? Bulldosers? I would like to read up on them and see what they bring to the table, if they are coming in a couple of months, I might hold off the build. I have no preference in RAM. I do use Corsair atm. I am mostly worried about GPU currently. Mac OSx are really picky on what they want to work with.

All the softwares I listed are basically same as photoshop just a little more demanding, which is why I would go with X6.

Update: Yea they are actually called Bulldozer CPUs.
Old July 19, 2011, 07:04 PM
Banned
F@H

well,preferences aside, if you are building right now look at the 2600k from intel,since you will probably use
all 8 threads. dozer should be a multithreaded monster,aka right up your alley..if you can wait :)

if you could fold with the team when not using the resources for work,would be nice too :)
Old July 19, 2011, 07:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziikutv View Post
Are the CPUs actually called that? Bulldosers? I would like to read up on them and see what they bring to the table, if they are coming in a couple of months, I might hold off the build. I have no preference in RAM. I do use Corsair atm. I am mostly worried about GPU currently. Mac OSx are really picky on what they want to work with.

All the softwares I listed are basically same as photoshop just a little more demanding, which is why I would go with X6.

Update: Yea they are actually called Bulldozer CPUs.
I don't think OSX is compatible with the 990FX chipset, or even then 890FX chipset.
Old July 19, 2011, 10:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

OSX is kinda crappy if you are building your own computer because it really limits you, if you can get away with Linux do it. Otherwise there is no point in buying AMD right now because bulldozer is right around the corner and their other CPU's just really aren't on the same level as intel right now (not even for bang/buck).