Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 19, 2011, 07:36 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default need a new quality MOBO

i originally purchased a asus p8z68v-pro being told it was the best one and maybey i got a dud but im sending it back and i can now choose a new motherboard. here is a list of my components, what do you think i should get that is a quaility motherboard, one thats not so new you cant even get it to dl its own bios updates without freezing in its own bios.

Intel i5-2500k
2x 4gb g-skill ripjaw 1600 ram (f3-12800cl9d-8gbxl)
evga superclocked gforce 580
western digital 1.5 tb hard drive
coolermaster haf x nvidia edition
corsair professional 850w-ax psu
Windows 7 profesional 64 bit
Old July 19, 2011, 08:52 AM
Banned

I'd recomend looking at a gigabyte or msi based on the same chipset. MANY peaple whom still go by the whole "brand loyalty" thing will ALWAYS tell u & everyone else ... " Oh Asus is always the best boards to use ". Just like many peaple will tell you u MUST buy a intel cpu. Asus for the last 6+ years or even longer has been goin down the crapper for rma's, tech support & ect ... use to have a bud whom worked for Asus's business tech support & they where told to make them call back on there charged phone support so they could force them to make more money .... tells ya what kinda shady business ethics Asus has in general. Honestly the ONLY things I'd recomend Asus for is there laptops & actualy there soundscards .... motherboards owned a few & again could care less if they had the highest preformance of the others the company is flawed & i'd rather take my chances with another known brands motherboard. But 12+ years on techie forums & my own experience with others might make my view biased by those asus supporters out there ;)

Reality in this day n age cpu's/gpu's from either big 2 will do the job for everyone period, same way as nit picking about synthetic benchmark results, driver update/preformance & ect. Motherboards nowadays are very simular you USUSALY can't go wrong with MSI, Gigabyte or even Asus(dare i actualy include them as a quality product producer) ... BUT there are also many sleeper brands like As-Rock(econo asus), Foxconn, Biostar, Jetway & ECS (owned a great lil KT266a based 1 that was nothing wrong with it & ECS does have higher quality nowadays) whom also make very good preforming lower price pointed boards. Biostar's TA-690G from a few years back was 1 of those "hidden gem" boards that gave you great oc'in on AMD cpu's at a sub $100 price point + backup igp if ur videocard died.

Anyways back to what u where asking, like I said, maybe look at the gigabyte or msi offerings, go look at any reviews that compare the 3 vs each other & then thru deductive reasoning grab what you think is best/can afford. If not, wait for the Asus to come back from rma & hopefully it will work then. :)

Also out of curiosity why haven't you purchases a up to 64 gig SSD drive to utilize the intel smart inteligence hybred ssd/hard drive configuration .... any sub $100 SSD up to 64 gigs would help you utilize it for more i/o - storage preformance ? :)
Old July 19, 2011, 09:04 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

well i have a ocz 60 gb ssd still laying in the box and needed a cable for it and just figured use the harddrive first and install the ssd later on.if i went with gig or msi should i still aim at 68 or 67?
Old July 19, 2011, 09:17 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Depends on whether you want to pay for some of the features on the Z68 chipset....like the SSD caching and the igpu. If you don't need, or don't care if you have either of those features then get yourself a P67 board.

As Terrybear said, there are lots of choices for mobos. People will say any of the brands are good, but you can get a dud from any maufacturer...it happens.

Take the time to look at the boards, read reviews...both professional and customer written
Old July 19, 2011, 09:24 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

this gig board has bassicly only a few problems compared to others and has more post than others. what do you guys think of it. i just want somehting that is gonna work : / and not make me want to tie a rope to the computer and use it as a boat ancor.

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Old July 19, 2011, 09:56 AM
Banned
F@H

give it a go

once upon a time i would buy shuttle boards for out the box peace of mind. for awhile its been giga,with msi thrown in

for good measure as of a couple years ago :)
Old July 19, 2011, 10:02 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

What was wrong with the p8z68v-pro?
Old July 19, 2011, 10:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
What was wrong with the p8z68v-pro?
Failure to realize that DOA's happen.

Its also funny to see that Post above about Asus and their support. If you replaced it with MSI it would feel more accurate.

Key things to remember:
Every Company will Have DOA's.
Every Company will have off days in their tech support as well.
You will find in the grand scheme of things all companies (with some exceptions *sapphire* *diamond*) have equally as many good experiences as bad.

That being said,
Why do you see if there is a good Intel Branded board available and go for that? The Intel branded ones have nearly as many features as the regular ones from other vendors now.
Might be something to consider.
Otherwise find a board from whomever has the setup that you want. Because in the end, if its going to fail, its going to fail. Doesn't matter who's name is on it.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 19, 2011, 07:23 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

yes should i hear what your saying- i know that each company has there dead ones it just sucks that the first time i buy a full setup my self it happens to me : / Dohhh. since the intel boards are made for the intel chip and usually thats what intel uses in there builds would they be more reliable with there products once shipped out? like few DOAS?
Old July 20, 2011, 05:26 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by john90009 View Post
yes should i hear what your saying- i know that each company has there dead ones it just sucks that the first time i buy a full setup my self it happens to me : / Dohhh. since the intel boards are made for the intel chip and usually thats what intel uses in there builds would they be more reliable with there products once shipped out? like few DOAS?
Not really at the end of the day, it is just one of those things that happens.
Either you get a replacement for the board you have under warranty and try again or you go to another manufacturer and hope it doesn't happen with them.
With Electronics, there is no 100%, and there never will be.
Personally speaking, I like the intel boards. Namely because of Longevity.
The 3 Eva Cove boards I built are still going. 3 years later.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com