Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 14, 2011, 04:13 PM
Top Prospect

Default I don't know much about computers, but I like 'em!

Greetings! I will be the first to admit that my knowledge level is probably lower than other forum-goers when it comes to computers. That said, I do find them interesting and have come to a point where I need a new one. So here I am.

- I will be mostly using my build for video compositing and video editing, and maybe some 3D rendering.
- I am not opposed to gaming, and would probably get more into it if I found that time; right now all I really play is Street Fighter IV.
- I use two monitors: one is 1920 x 1080, and the other is 1280 x 1024
- I don't have any brand preference, although I believe that nVidia GPUs have better hardware acceleration support in the Adobe Creative Suite so I would lean towards them
- I don't really have a budget, but I would say $2000 should be enough. I'm more interested in quality and aesthetic than price

Components I'm considering:

Motherboard:
NCIX.com - Buy ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Z68 LGA1155 ATX 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2 PCI B3 Motherboard - ASUS - P8Z68-V PRO - in Canada
CPU:
NCIX.com - Buy Intel Core i7 2600K Quad Core Unlocked Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Sandy Bridge 8MB - Intel - BX80623I72600K - in Canada
RAM:
Newegg.ca - Mushkin Enhanced Radioactive 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 997005 (or any other interesting looking kits)
GPU:
NCIX.com - Buy MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Hawk OC 950MHZ 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini-HDMI DX11 PCI-E Video Card - MSI/MicroStar - N560GTX-Ti HAWK - in Canada
HDD:
NCIX.com - Buy Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM - Western Digital WD - WD1002FAEX - in Canada
PSU:
NCIX.com - Buy Corsair Professional Series Gold AX750 CMPSU-750AX 750W ATX Fully Modular 80PLUS Gold Power Supply - Corsair - CMPSU-750AX - in Canada

Things I'm not sure about yet:

Case: This is the hardest choice because I don't find any case terribly compelling. The Corsair 650D is the best I found, but I'm open to other suggestions.
SSD: I'm thinking of getting a 120 GB for my OS and applications. I'm looking at the Intel 510 series because I hear they are reliable. Getting a smaller SSD and using Intel SRT is also an option, but I wonder if it has the same "peppiness" of using just an SSD?
CPU cooler: Maybe the Corsair H100?
Old July 14, 2011, 04:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Looks like a solid choice of components so far. Nothing I'd really change other than the video card depending how much gaming you plan to do...

If you want to go SSD, definitely get one big enough to hold Windows and your daily applications. Don't waste it on games though since I don't find the benefit that great. It helps greatly though with application load times. Don't waste your time/money on the Intel SRT stuff.

CPU cooler is unnecessary unless your overclocking really. But I guess if you're after looks, then you'll want something. You can probably find an "interesting" looking heatsink compared to the Corsair H-series watercooling systems.

For the case, how about the NZXT Phantom (comes in 4 colours). There's also the Thermaltake Level 10 GT maybe?
Old July 14, 2011, 06:00 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

have you ever taken apart or messed with a computer "mechanicly" before?
Old July 14, 2011, 06:16 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

ill add make sure you get a nvidia card with 1GB memory or greater so you can use the adobe mercury engine hack, i read it helps editing video greatly in premiere and after effects

the 560 sounds perfect for the job
Old July 14, 2011, 07:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

Pretty solid choice you got there. If you want to save a little, you can drop down to a 600W PSU with ease, if you don't plan on using SLI or Crossfire in the future. And that money you save you can push towards a nice SSD, which will definitely assist.
Old July 14, 2011, 07:57 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Looks like a good build as mentioned. The only thing that I would change would be the case. It seems like overkill if you're not going with water. Maybe it's just me, but that case is HUGE and expensive. If you are looking for quality, I'd go for something from Lian-Li.
Old July 14, 2011, 11:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Check out a silverstone rv03 for a case, good quality,great cooling, removable dust filters and it looks good.

You have made great choices personally I would go with a smaller SSD and Couple it with a 500gb caviar black drive.

The H100 is good but I'd rather go high quality air cooling than that
Old July 14, 2011, 11:59 PM
Banned
F@H

amen to that. hr-02 for cooler!
Old July 16, 2011, 09:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If price isn't a problem but aesthetic and build quality is... get an apple mac pro. you don't get tidier packages than that and as your doing video-work I'd say get used to using a mac sooner than later..

Also, have to ask, what monitors are you using?

Dual boot or run win 7 inside OSX and you'll be sorted..

As for the hardware stated.. all looks good... but there is no point getting a kseries cpu if your not gonna oc, same for cooler.. your just splashing cash for no reason.
If you plan on playing with overclocking then get both. If you want a quiet rig, drop the 2600K for a 2600 and get a nice quiet cooler.

Do you tend to, like me, have half a dozed applications open at the same time? Do you work with LARGE and high res video's?
If yes to both.. think about more ram.. Ordinarily I would say 8 is plenty.. but you may be an exception. That said, it is easily added after if you have a laggy system due to a memory shortage.

Last thing I'll say is if you don't NEED it right now... try wait for the new bits and bobs that are due out over the next 2 months (bulldozer etc etc).. Either you'll get a much better rig, or cut the cost somewhat. But if you need it now.. all else looks good.
Old July 16, 2011, 05:13 PM
Top Prospect

Hey all, thanks for the great suggestions. I should have probably stated that I definitely plan on overclocking quite aggressively. I was considering the H100 because I assumed that it would be able to outperform other air coolers. I'm okay with the tower style heatsinks as well, but from what I can tell the top-tier are around the same performance wise. I'm open to any heatsink + fan combo suggestions though.

I'm liking the case suggestions so far - more please! I should mention that I'm more partial to something with a side window and easy cable management so I can ogle my equipment!

The reason I went with the 560 Ti is because I read that Adobe's MPE supports the 550 Ti without the hack.

I'm not really interested in getting a Mac Pro. Although I do admit it looks cool, price in relation to its components is absolutely ridiculous. I don't mind paying extra sometimes but I really have to draw the line when they start charging $400 for 8 GB of RAM! Oh and I'm working on a U2311 and a 1907FP.