Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 4, 2011, 07:28 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Smile Upgrade bug has bitten. Hard.

Want to go for 2500K + Asus Sabertooh P67. (current rig in system specs)
I really would like to know your opinions guys, whether I'll really notice any benefit from that?
Main use is heavy gaming. I do some photoshopping & video editing as well, but performance benefits concerned only for gaming.

As usual, thanks a lot in advance :)
Old July 4, 2011, 08:02 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

IDK Man, for one 580 your current system looks fine TBH. Especially at 2560X1440.
Old July 4, 2011, 08:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Rather then changing out Mobo, Ram and CPU, you could also consider adding an SSD for your Boot Drive and a 2nd 580. I only would consider this as you do have a Quad Core running at 4Ghz.

That monitor you have (same as me), really likes any good HW you can throw at it, also yes, a SB running at 4-4.4 Ghz will also be a benefit, bit again at that Res it will also benefit with a 2nd 580.

I'm waiting for the new 2011 Socket, nothing less than a 6 core of course, if your into Video Encoding (ripping/burning), you'll see a benefit with more Cores ;)

Old July 4, 2011, 08:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I'm with Phill on this one. I think your gaming results will be negligible, with a few increases here and there. I think the biggest area of effect will be in your work with photoshop and video editing, but you're not concerned about those.

Since you are only concerned with gaming, (and you won't see a drastic change in that area) my suggestion would be to wait until Bulldozer is released before making your decision. Then see which way you want to jump. The worst that could happen is that you save a bit of money as the current gen i7's will likely get a price drop to compete in the market.

*EDIT*
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Rather then changing out Mobo, Ram and CPU, you could also consider adding an SSD for your Boot Drive and a 2nd 580. I only would consider this as you do have a Quad Core running at 4Ghz.
His current board doesn't support multi-way GPU's. I suppose that may be worth the upgrade if he's planning on running SLI in the future. But +1 to the SSD.
Old July 4, 2011, 08:27 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the info guys! Adding an another 580 would have been nice, but my mobo does not supports it, and buying a good 775 one is a waste I think.
Probably I should wait a bit more for Bulldozer and maybe even for the 2011 socket..
Old July 4, 2011, 08:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I have to say that this is one area that Intel really sucks... upgrades. With an AMD platform, I'm almost always able to leapfrog technology with portions of my system to make upgrading a bit more affordable due to chipset backwards compatibility. (Buy a new board and keep the old CPU or vice versa) But with Intel, each generation of cpu's seems to need a new MB. It's very much a pain in the arse. Maybe Intel plans it that way for a sales boost, but it's incredibly annoying. And really, it's one of the biggest reasons I don't end up going Intel.
Old July 4, 2011, 09:31 AM
Banned
F@H

yup,that 580 is bottlenecked as we speak.
Old July 4, 2011, 09:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Look for "cheaper/used" multi PCI E Board, then your set for another 580, what's that Board gonna cost?

As for Bulldozer 8 Core......read a preliminary review yesterday (it was a section of Evga forums) comparing Bulldozer to present SB and Bloomfield / Gulftown, poor results for Bulldozer, when Im on my PC I'll see if I can find those results.

Personally I won't waste my $$ on AMD CPU's for obvious reasons, they always seem to be way behind Intel as far as performance goes.......I've had a1366 X58 for at least 3 yrs now having only paid $280 for my 920....3 yrs for PC HW is pretty damn good,

Old July 4, 2011, 10:01 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
yup,that 580 is bottlenecked as we speak.
Seriously? People tell me to add another one, and sir you say the one I've got is already bottlenecked?
Old July 4, 2011, 10:05 AM
Banned
F@H

for dual 580's you better clock your sb way past 4 towards 5ghz or so they say

had a link somewhere with 4.5 vs 5 ghz on the 2500 or 2600k...:)

amd cards are more forgiving on the gpu powering side,for some reason.

Q9650@4GHz VS 2500K@4GHz - Page 2 - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

not the one link but close