i7 2600k at @4.2 now (auto)
Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3
hd 6870
8GB ddr3 1600 at 1.25v
Coolit Eco R120
AX750

cpu-z validation:
CPU-Z Validator 3.1

I want to push it further. however, I need answers for the following (need to make sure I am doing it right as I am kind of a noob)

got two yate loon d12sl-12 for push-pull setup with the Eco R120 (quiet strong fans suggestion welcomes, <$15)

following is 30 mins prime95 result

are the temps good? comment? suggestions?

I am still not sure the following:
1) do i still need to reseat the cooler?

2) touchbios's vcore accurate? 1.28v is the highest I am getting. however, from the thread below, in auto mode, the vcore for 4-4.3 should be around 1.3-1.325v in Gigabyte boards. (bios check shown 1.296v)
The ULTIMATE Sandy Bridge OC Guide + P67A-UD7 Performance Review - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

Last edited by skydealseeker; June 30, 2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old June 30, 2011, 08:00 PM
MVP

My System Specs

1. Not necessary at all. The temps looks fine and 60C for full load with an overclocked SB is quite good actually.
2. You don't have to follow strict guidelines that your CPU at this clock speed must be at this Vcore range. The lower Vcore your CPU can achieve for a certain amount of clock speed, the better the quality of the binning for your CPU. In fact having a CPU that requires lower voltage is a good thing.
Old June 30, 2011, 08:33 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0991 View Post
1. Not necessary at all. The temps looks fine and 60C for full load with an overclocked SB is quite good actually.
2. You don't have to follow strict guidelines that your CPU at this clock speed must be at this Vcore range. The lower Vcore your CPU can achieve for a certain amount of clock speed, the better the quality of the binning for your CPU. In fact having a CPU that requires lower voltage is a good thing.
thank you for the answer first.

the temps I am getting right now is after the push-pull setup. if I were using the stock fan only for eco r120, I am getting high 60 to low 70 for prime95, and 78 C for IBT (max wtih 8 thread). that is why I am asking if I need to reseat the cooler.

back to question 2: as cpuz can't recognize the vcore for gigabyte z68 motherboards atm. the only way I can check it is through touchbios, can I rely on it?

Last edited by skydealseeker; June 30, 2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old July 1, 2011, 02:07 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Usually that kind of temps is normal after overclocked. In a situation where the waterblock does not contact with the CPU properly you would be getting about >50C idle or at least that is what happens when you have poor contact with the CPU. A build that I made a while ago had a Core i7 2600 + Hyper212+ and the temps are about 60C+ max load, mind you that this is a not an overclockable CPU.

The mounting mechanism for CoolIT is quite good and easy to assemble, so improper mounting is unlikely when you compare mounting mechanisms from the Corsair H50 and H70. You can't really expect a AIO liquid cooling unit to actually perform as good as a custom WC. There are even air coolers like the Noctua which outperforms almost all AIO WC units.

Unless you want to take a digital multimeter and probe the motherboard for a very accurate reading, the TouchBIOS is about as accurate as it gets. It is Gigabyte's proprietary monitoring software and it would be a shame if their software does not show the accurate Vcore within a small margin of error.
Old July 1, 2011, 05:35 AM
Rookie

thank you for the info.

I might give it a try at 4.5:)

quite stale now at 4.2 and no really need higher clock atm
Old July 1, 2011, 11:56 AM
Rookie

tried 4.5ghz today.

only changed multiples and load line.
auto level 1 level 2
5 tests
IBT (max with 8 threads) failed passed H vcore, did 2 tests and stopped
IBT (very high with auto) passed passed passed (all high 70 C)
prime95: not tested 35mins not tested due to high vcore

the room temp right now for me is high (27C) and the other tests I have posted are tested btw 20-22C. how much degree would I gain if I do the test at 22? I will probably do more test tonight or when the room temp down to 20C. vcore is 1.33. and I don't know why the ram volt bumps to 1.34v from 1.25v, I didn't touch it in the bios. (from my previous 4.2 tests, the ram volt stayed at 1.25v)

prime95 35 mins test:

are these temps acceptable? I set almost everything enable. suggestion/comment plz everyone.