Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 29, 2011, 12:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Desktop Overhaul

About 2 years ago I bought my desktop. I was planning on building my own, but I got a super great deal on a pre-built, so I ended up going that road instead. Got a Gateway Desktop with i7 920, 12GB RAM, GTX 285, 1TB HDD for $1000. I'm starting to have cooling issues with it now and stuff. I don't have a lot of money to spare, but I'm looking at slowly upgrading over the next few months. I've come here as I need help deciding on what components to get.

Case: Upgrading my case is my first priority at the moment. The current case is utter shit. It has one 80mm fan in the rear that doesn't seem to be doing a whole heck of a lot. I've been eyeing the Cooler Master 690 II, and the Fractal Core 3000 as possible cases. Looking for possible suggestions here.

CPU Cooler: The CPU cooler that came with the PC is alright. Idle temps are in the mid 30's, and under load around 60. I can live with the CPU cooler for now, but eventually I'd like to upgrade it. I want to go with one of Corsair's all in one water cooling set up's. I thought about going with the H60, but then noticed the H100. I'm tempted to go for the H100 once it's released, but I've heard rumors that despite it being a 240MM rad, it won't fit in cases where dual 120MM fans are supposed, such as in the roof of both cases I was eyeing.

Motherboard: The motherboard is some generic Gateway motherboard. It works, but I want something better. I won't have any spare cash to upgrade the motherboard for another 3 months or so, but I'm still looking for suggestions. I haven't really been looking at motherboards too much, but the one that's caught my eye so far are the Asus X58 Sabertooth, and Asus P6TX58D-E

RAM: I'm in no great rush to upgrade the RAM, but I do want to upgrade it eventually. The current stuff is some crappy Kingston Value RAM. Eventually I'd like to upgrade to something of a better quality, not sure what though. Need some suggestions here.

PSU: More or less the same deal as the RAM. I'm in no great rush to upgrade the PSU. The current one is a Delta Electronics 850W. Eventually I'd like to upgrade to something of a better quality, not sure what though. Need some suggestions here.

Everything else such as the hard drive, optical drive, CPU and graphics card I'm going to re-use. I mainly use my PC for gaming, but I do some school work on it as well. I never bothered to venture into overlocking before since I wasn't able to, although I'll probably look into it in the future once I get a new motherboard. I don't really have a set budget for my upgrade, but I'm trying to go ask cheap as I can. Any Canadian retailers are fine.

Any help and suggestions are appreciated. :)

Last edited by Flemminr; June 29, 2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old June 29, 2011, 05:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Delta Electronics is the OEM building the Antec PSUs, pretty good. They also make the PSUs for the HP XW workstations. For case I would go with an Antec 900 or 1200.
Old June 29, 2011, 06:12 PM
Banned
F@H

those deltas are built like tanks. i put my lunch money on them before anything else,or almost.

seasonic perhaps being one. but in high heat,cramped scenarios? ive seen little 300 something watt deltas push quad cores
and the occasional g92 upgrade dude put in with the molex to pci-e adapter of course :)

edit : case could be a good idea,look at the 912? cheap,very good.
gpu,maybe one 6950? or stay with that till the next iteration pops out

and psu too if you want, maybe a seasonic 850 watter? just for later on
headroom if you add dual cards + oc that i7 :)
Old June 30, 2011, 06:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The 690II is a nice case to build with.. really clean, high airflow and well made.

If your only starting to worry about temps now, it may be worth taking the thing apart and cleaning it all (heatsinks etc) for dust etc

I wouldn't bother upgrading your psu from whats said above, and TBH unless you really want to try ocing, I'd stick with the ram and mobo too and change when your thinking of a new cpu
Old July 3, 2011, 07:45 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Okay, so after a bit of looking around, I've decided to go with the Cooler Master 690 II Advanced and Corsair H60. I was going to order from NCIX, but I've stumbled across BestDirect.ca and determined I can save about $20 on my order there and get free shipping. I've never really heard of them before though. Doesn't anyone have any experiences with them, or know if they're a reputable company? Additionally, does anyone know of any other retailers where I may be able to get my parts cheaply?
Old July 3, 2011, 07:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Best Direct is owned by the same company that owns NCIX, they're good.

As for your first post. RAM is fine, you're going to gain next to nothing going to "better" RAM in my opinion. Some people actually have gotten nice overclocks on KVR, and I use the stuff at work almost exclusively. As said, that Delta PSU is most likely a tank.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Last edited by Lpfan4ever; July 3, 2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old July 3, 2011, 08:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Much like everyone else has echoed on here, the Delta PSU is very solid. Antec uses them almost exclusively and they are built to make it the distance.
For RAM, I'm a bit torn, I do believe it makes a difference to a degree from what I've done.
That being said, you don't have to spend a fortune. My G.Skill Ripjaws have served my computers very well.

For a Cooler, I can't see why the H60 would suffice. It is good at what it does, though the H100 will net better performance, the question is really how hard do you intend to push your CPU to warrant it?

Case wise a lot of it is up to personal Choice, style and such.
I would suggest checking out a few differnet ones to see which one suits your style the most.
Coolermaster has a lot of good cases available (Enforcer, CM690II, Storm). You could take a look at the ThermalTake A90 Armor, I use this with my X6 and GTX580 and it keeps things nice and cool with my yate loons.

That would be at least, where I would start.
For GPU's its subjective.
I , along with a few friends and staff members here have had our fair share of ATI Driver issues. If you can stand that, the 6950 is a good start.
Otherwise a 560TI would be a good choice.

For motherboards, EVGA has some nice X58 ones. My own has lasted since it launched, with very little downtime from anything. Or as an alternate you could go with the Saber, they are good as any other really. X58 boards (with the exception of Saphire's) are pretty refined with solid BIOS support and such.
So find one that is within your budget and go with that.

ST

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 3, 2011, 08:29 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
For a Cooler, I can't see why the H60 would suffice. It is good at what it does, though the H100 will net better performance, the question is really how hard do you intend to push your CPU to warrant it?
ST
I've thought long and hard about the CPU cooler. I mean, I'd love to have an H100, but at the end of the day, I don't really think it's necessary for what I'll be doing, and it's an additional $50. Because of my PC being a pre-built, I wasn't able to get into OCing with it, so I have no knowledge of it whatsoever. Once I get a new motherboard, I do intend to get into it though. As I said, I don't have any knowledge of OCing, so I don't intend to be trying to get any mammoth overclocks, so I just don't think I'd really need the H100. When is the H100 supposed to be released?

As for the case, I love the look of the CM 690, and it has lots of great features for the price, which is in my price range.

@Lpfan4ever: Thanks for the info on that website.
Old July 3, 2011, 11:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Since you are just getting into over clocking that cooler should be good to start with. It should keep things nice and stable with a mild clock, which would be recommended to start.

I'm glad you decided on the 690II. I've built two systems in that case so far, and for the price, you can't go wrong. Cable management is a breeze, there's a million cooling options, and it looks good too.
Old July 4, 2011, 11:32 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I've been checking out DirectCanada. Anyone have any experiences with them? The prices are great and they've got free shipping.

I've been looking around there, and here's what I've put together.

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - $79.69
CoolIt Systems Eco C240 - $88.56

Total: $168.25 + free shipping

Being able to get those for $170, I'm pretty damn impressed. I was a little unsure on the CoolIT Eco C240, but it's only $30 more than the H60, so I figured why not. I've read some reviews on it, and it seems to be a great set-up. Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on this? I'll probably end up going with this.