Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 29, 2011, 06:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default 1500 Eyefinity Build

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
Work mostly with some light gaming. I'm building this for my boss who is a geologist so he looks at maps all day and always has 20 windows open so eyefinity is for seeing more at once.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
$1500 or less, this is with tax and monitors in, pretty much any money that isn't spent on the computer will go to monitors.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
Canada, pricematching to NCIX

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.
No preferences but this will probably be an i5 2500k build.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
None

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
I have searched long and hard.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
It would be a crime to not overclock

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Before the end of July

9. What resolution do you use?
it'll probably be 1920x1080 but 1680x1050 is fine as long as the monitor is atleast 21 inches.

What I have is
i5 2500k
Asus p8p67-m
Zalman Z9 Plus (small fan controller is key)
Seasonic 520w
500gb WD caviar Black
4gb 1600 cl9 ram (I haven't picked any specific RAM but I know I can get this for around $40)
DVD burner

For GPU I'm not sure what to get, It won't really be for gaming except for some light single screen stuff so I was thinking an HD 6770 but I don't know if this will cause his computer to be slow so this is pretty much why I'm asking.

Also should I go 8 gb of Ram?

Monitors I was thinking 3xBenQ G2222HDL

Windows 7: $100

$1133w/o tax

Total: $1280.29 (approximately) with tax in

So with the build I have layed out here I have some wiggle room I can upgrade RAM and GPU or the monitors.

Suggestions? Actually my boss just told me he needs 2 tb external storage so that leaves $100 in the budget, Seems we can upgrade RAM or GPU or I can get NCIX to build it for me. Which gets him a 1 year warranty which could be good because he lives in Sudbury and I live in Thunder Bay and sometimes Newmarket so I can't fix it for him.

Last edited by JJThomp; June 29, 2011 at 06:53 AM.
Old June 29, 2011, 06:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I would recommend getting a much more powerful GPU then a 6770 if you're planning on running eyefinity with graphics at a decent level. I had two 6870s in crossfire and they at times struggled at highest settings across three 1920 x 1080 21.5" monitors. Even running just one (6870) of them I had to typically put the graphic settings down to about medium to get decent frames. Also, there is no real need in 8GB of ram unless you're folding or doing quite a bit of graphical editing.
Old June 29, 2011, 07:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Looks like you have it sorted really,

However
I would go 8 gig if he is a multi-tasker..

As for the GPU..
It's a lil on the wimpy side and will depend on how good you want the gaming experience to be and obviously what kind of games the system will be running.
I would advise something with a bit more kick, but then, as said, it's down to what the use is gonna be.
it "should" run the 3 monitors ok for general apps and work etc but others will have more experience with eyefinity than me (only tried it out on an old card while at a friends)

The monitors,
If screen real-estate is a premium (even with 3 screens) I would go a bit bigger. 24" is a nice step up from the 21.5".
Working on a 23" monitor myself at the moment and after the initial phase of size difference to my previous one, I now wish I'd gotten a 24" or even a bit larger for general use.
I would suggest going to a monitor that had a 1920 X 1200 res, but that would be beyond your budget.

Gl with the build. :)
Old June 29, 2011, 07:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
I would recommend getting a much more powerful GPU then a 6770 if you're planning on running eyefinity with graphics at a decent level. I had two 6870s in crossfire and they at times struggled at highest settings across three 1920 x 1080 21.5" monitors. Even running just one (6870) of them I had to typically put the graphic settings down to about medium to get decent frames. Also, there is no real need in 8GB of ram unless you're folding or doing quite a bit of graphical editing.

Not sure if your talking about gaming with eyefinity here, but the OP wasn't looking for that.

Also win 7 with just chrome and a few other bits and bobs open I am currently using near 3 gig of my ram. If they are multi-tasking like he says, then 8 gig will be very, very useful.

Also, I don't see an after-market cooler listed there. If "it's a crime to not OC" then you'll be wanting one.

Last edited by Dzzope; June 29, 2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old June 29, 2011, 08:34 AM
Banned
F@H

even if you wont be pushing games,as per above,do get something more beefy.

the last thing you want is an application(3d) to tax your gpu and see waves.
Old June 30, 2011, 08:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks for the rsponses guys

At this point I think upgrading the monitors bigger than 21.5 inches is out of the budget.

As for custom coolers I was just gonna go to about 4.1 ghz which should be just fine on the stock cooler.

I think I'll bump up to 8gb of ram and up to a 6850 and that should be the entire budget.

Sound good?

The most used program is Google Earth and then second most used is a claim map thing which is easy to run he just has a lot of instances.

Last edited by JJThomp; June 30, 2011 at 08:45 AM.