Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 28, 2011, 06:01 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Bits of desk in PC

So I was helping someone build a new PC this weekend. We were building on a particleboard Ikea desk, and while moving the case and side panels around we put a few deep scratches in the desk. I noticed that some bits of the desk (particleboard, epoxy, paint, or whatever it is Ikea desks are made of) may have gotten on the screwdriver and so may have gotten inside the case.

I checked inside the case and didn't see any bits of the desk-material inside. I was a bit worried that maybe some of these particles might cause issues with the PC. I'm thinking that this is highly unlikely, since particleboard, epoxy, paint, are not conductive, and the chance of these things clogging up a fan or something is quite small given there was only a few around anyway. But I asked around and someone said that this is a serious risk, and so now I'm not sure what to believe.

I would use compressed air to blow out the case, but I don't see any lurking around there. But maybe there are some underneath the motherboard, and I don't really want to remove everything and start from scratch.

Thoughts? Am I being paranoid (as usual)?
Old June 28, 2011, 06:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

It should be okay but if it helps your peace of mind get a can of compressed air. It wont go to waste, they are always handy to have around.
Old June 28, 2011, 07:32 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Make sure everything ia secure list the case up and give it a good old fashioned blow with ur lungs (hold the spit ) ...and stop being paranoid
Old June 28, 2011, 08:03 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks guys, I'll turn it upside down and give it a blast with compressed air tonight. My friend tells me that the epoxy from the desk is going to melt in my PC and short something out. I'm calling BS on that. Does that make sense?
Old June 28, 2011, 08:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

It would make sense if you PC was 150 degrees inside... if it is that hot I'd say you have other problems.
Old June 28, 2011, 08:22 AM
Banned
F@H

it shouldnt short it out,although if they go near high temp places they could let off a crazy smell :)
Old June 28, 2011, 08:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Duuuuude! Be careful man. That shit's totally gonna just **** up everything. You should tear your computer apart and bathe it in 99% Isopropanol to make sure there's absolutely no chance that something could cause damage. You don't want that epoxy heating up and catching fire now.

(And if you think I'm an ass, check out this guy's previous threads. It's all the same stuff, just trollin)
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old June 28, 2011, 08:31 AM
Hall Of Fame