Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 23, 2011, 07:24 PM
Top Prospect

Default Buy it or make it?

I saw this gaming system at Canada Computers and I thought that for the price it wasn't 1/2 bad.
Prodigy PR-1055T-R1 - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T with Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Cooler / Asus M4A88T-M/USB3 Socket AM3 AMD 880G + SB710 Chipset / Corsair DDR3 1600MHz 8GB (2x4GB) / 1TB 7200RPM SATA2 HDD / AMD Radeon 6870 1GB GDDR5 / Asus 24x DVD+/-R/RW Wr

And I am now wondering if I could really save a decent sum if I were to build it myself. I did the math roughly and I calculated that I could save $170, but the shipping cost of all the parts would be around $10 each and that would be another $100, so in reality buying it pre-build would be about $70 more expensive than building it myself(if my math is correct). Now here is the problem, I built a computer from scratch in High School for my CISCO class and back when I had a PC (have a laptop now) I would open the case to clean it, and I would normally take out the RAM and Video Card to clean every corner, but that was a while ago and I am a little out of practice now, so for my 1st decent gaming computer should I buy it pre-build or should I build it myself? :S I don't really have any thermal paste, even tho is like $10, anyways what do you guys think?

Also this one looked good as well Newegg.ca - iBUYPOWER Gamer Extreme 554SLC Desktop PC Phenom II X6 1090T(3.2GHz) 8GB DDR3 2TB HDD Capacity NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 1GB Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Btw what's better a GTX560 or a HD Radeon 6870? THX!
Old June 23, 2011, 07:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Location? You could always buy parts from local shops...

-Plato
Old June 23, 2011, 07:45 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
Location? You could always buy parts from local shops...
Brampton Canada, they have a Canada Computers relatively close, but idk if they have all the parts I am looking for. The parts and prices I saw were from new egg, most of them anyways.
Old June 23, 2011, 07:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Did you know you can price your own PC at NCIX and pay the extra $50 for assembly and testing?

Make sure you Price Match.

Both of those are Decent PC. It is all personally choice. Most of us here would build there own, it does take some time and effort. But at the end of the day it is well worth the trouble.

The 1090 + gtx 560 is a much better deal.
Old June 23, 2011, 08:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If you can find it built (with info on model of parts such as ram, mobo, gpu, psu, hdd) for about the same as parts.. I say buy it..

You get a warranty on the build and it's hassle free...
I wouldn't buy a pre-built if the mobo etc aren't named (as you don't know what cheap pos they are gonna fit to save on parts)

Last edited by Dzzope; June 23, 2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old June 23, 2011, 08:33 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvgearx View Post
Did you know you can price your own PC at NCIX and pay the extra $50 for assembly and testing?

Make sure you Price Match.

Both of those are Decent PC. It is all personally choice. Most of us here would build there own, it does take some time and effort. But at the end of the day it is well worth the trouble.

The 1090 + gtx 560 is a much better deal.
Hmmm, I went to NCIX.com and I was dead on with the price (forgot to include the price of the Windows) now that I added the windows the total price went up to about $960, so the shipping price of some components will surely make the price go over $999. Now, when you are building the computer(on the website) are all the parts already compatible? I mean if I were to pay $50 would they be like "ops this motherboard doesn't support the cpu you picked, sorry for the inconvenience, you still owes $50 tho..." Also I think that the 1090 + the GTX560 might be a bit better, but since they don't mention some of the components that are included (motherboard,fan,PSU,etc) I can only assume that they are gonna be very cheap and modest, and that's a risk I don't want to take. I am still not sure if the GTX560 is better than the HD6870 because in the reviews I have seen the 6870 seems to better, now I think that the GTX560 Ti is much better, but that's not the one they are offering me. :S One more thing, I can actually order the PC I build on NCIX, correct?
Old June 23, 2011, 08:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Basically most places that offer a custom build service will look at your list and let you know if there are any glaring problems before they start building..

I've delt with a company in the UK that seems like the English version of ncix (Overclockers.co.uk) and they wouldn't let you order stuff that doesn't fit together in a build they were doing.

That said, I've never delt with NCIX(though I doubt they would be different in this reguard) but a phone call is cheap and can avoid mix-ups..

As for your concerns of building a pc... if anything it's gotten easier.. (though custom coolers can be fiddly but not very complicated)
Old June 23, 2011, 08:51 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

As Dzzope said, you have to be careful with prebuilds. Look carefully at the iBUYPOWER that you linked. When you look at the specs of that pc there are a couple of things they don't identify....like the motherboard and the psu. The only thing you know about the psu is that it stated to supply 700w. There are quite a few psu manufacturers out there that produce garbage at any size. The power supply is something you definitely do not want to go cheap on, if it dies it tends to take parts with it. There is a bit more information on the motherboard, but not enough for me to tell you what brand it is, therefore whether it is any good.

In the end, its what you are comfortable with. I personally will never purchase a prebuild for myself ever again.

edit....ooooohhhhh 100th post I know, but I had to.
Old June 23, 2011, 08:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

make it mate...for 1000 $ you can easily make a intel SB based system .
Old June 23, 2011, 09:09 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryC View Post
As Dzzope said, you have to be careful with prebuilds. Look carefully at the iBUYPOWER that you linked. When you look at the specs of that pc there are a couple of things they don't identify....like the motherboard and the psu. The only thing you know about the psu is that it stated to supply 700w. There are quite a few psu manufacturers out there that produce garbage at any size. The power supply is something you definitely do not want to go cheap on, if it dies it tends to take parts with it. There is a bit more information on the motherboard, but not enough for me to tell you what brand it is, therefore whether it is any good.

In the end, its what you are comfortable with. I personally will never purchase a prebuild for myself ever again.

edit....ooooohhhhh 100th post I know, but I had to.
What about the one at Canada Computers, it kinda goes into detail. :S