Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 22, 2011, 08:27 AM
Rookie

Default Advice on new Monitors+vid card

Hey everyone,

About 2 years ago, I built myself a new i7 rig which was a pretty good (and decently priced) rig at the time. However, I've been living abroad for the past year and my computer is just sitting at home gathering dust. Well, I'm heading back at the beginning of August and I want to upgrade my monitors and potentially my video card.

When I built my rig, I wanted to get a good video card for the 19" monitor that I had. I'm not into heavy gaming, but I do enjoy casually playing MMOs and FPS. The main use of my computer is watching movies, coding and design work as I am a web developer. So I bought a GeForce GTX 275 and overclocked it slightly. It's been really great on my 19" monitor.

Now that I'm coming back, starting a new job, and focusing much more on web development, I want to have dual monitors. I'm leaning towards the ViewSonic VG2428wm 24", because its reasonably priced, has gotten decent reviews, and the swivel is really good for coding and reading documentation. I'm also interested in playing a new MMO, Blade and Soul when it comes out. So here's what I'm wondering;

1) Are these decent monitors? Any other suggestions on suitable monitors for my needs?

2) Would my 2yr old GTX 275 (OC) be good enough to continue using? If not, I'd like to run another new GeForce card in SLI along with my GTX 275. What would be a good graphics card to get? (I'm eyeing the GTX 560 series).

I have a moderate budget so keep that in mind.

Thanks!
Old June 22, 2011, 09:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Just to let you know, you cannot run cards from different generations, or different models within the same generation (ie 550 and 560) in SLI together, at most you can run the lower end card as a dedicated physx card.
Old June 22, 2011, 09:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't know much about that monitor specifically, but I know that Viewsonic as a brand is stellar.

As stated already, SLI won't work for you. And realistically, your 275 will still work fine for what you're doing. (Besides the lack of DX11.) However, you may want to look in to getting a 6950. Not only are the ATI cards great for multimedia, but that card is an excellent purchase for the price and will be a nice bump in performance. And they're great OC'rs if you're so inclined.
Old June 22, 2011, 10:04 AM
F@H

My System Specs

To add on Caldezar's recommendation of a card, the 6950 would allow you to drive 3 monitors off of the single card as well either for multiple monitor gaming, or just to have three displays to work on and have different applications viewable at the same time (I absolutely love my 3 monitor set up for gaming and for work)
Old June 22, 2011, 10:07 AM
Banned
F@H

as per above, get one faster card.

6950's come in 1 and 2gb versions. get the latter for multi screen.
Old June 22, 2011, 03:09 PM
Rookie

I guess I had misunderstood how SLI worked.

Thanks for the suggestions. Is there any particular brand of the 6950's that would be recommended?
Old June 22, 2011, 03:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'd suggest you watch for deals and grab whatever works for you. XFX is usually priced well and has a great warranty. But they usually don't have the greatest track record for OC results. If you want to OC, maybe grab an MSI or ASUS?

But whatever you do, make sure you grab a 2GB model, NOT a 1GB model. There's a bit of a price premium, but it's more than worth it. Especially if you plan on running multiple monitors.
Old June 22, 2011, 06:31 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

As a fellow developer I'm sure you're well aware the love you have for multi monitor setups. If I were you, I'd pick up a 6950 2GB and do an eyefinity setup if the budget allows, if not pick up 2 21.5" monitors. There's a sale on at newegg I think for LED LCD samsungs 21.5" for like $170 each.
Old June 22, 2011, 08:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

look at 1920x1200 monitors, especially if dealing with code(and if budget allows)... 1080 is very "shallow" I find it annoying to code / browse on mine as it shows less than what I expect it to for the monitor size.

Tags
geforce , gpu , graphics card , lcd , monitor