Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 21, 2011, 03:01 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Problems with my new build/Freezes on MB Logo

Hi guys, just to start off, I totally dig this site :)

I finally built my new computer today (speccs will be listed below) and I encountered a problem which I haven't gotten around to fix. Alright, so I installed the motherboard and installed all the parts. This was a rather painless procedure and when I was done I tried to start up the computer. Here's when it get's fishy... As I start it up I can't get past the motherboard logo it just freezes on "GIGABYTE bla bla bla" and never goes past it. I've tried to enter BIOS and all the other functions but it simply doesn't work.. and if I manage to actually pass the Gigabyte logo I either get a black screen or the computer restarts it self.. over and over again. The Motherboard is not new (probably only a year old) but it supports all the parts (I bought it from a friend) It's an AM3 motherboard so.. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated :)

Computer Speccs:
AMD Phenom II X6 (Six Core) Black Edition 1100T
8GB (2x 4GB) Corsair DDR3 Ram @ 1600 Mhz
ATI Radeon 4890 1GB DDR5
Regular Bluray/HD-DVD SATA Burner/Drive
2x 500GB SATA HDD's
GIGABYTE MA785GT-UD3H Motherboard
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit (Was gonna change to Windows 7 Ultimate but nothing boots up or works so..)
Antec Ninehundred two tower
750W Corsair power supply.
Old June 21, 2011, 03:47 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

10 Step "No Post" BIOS Recovery Guide

Take board out of case, install only cpu, hsf, 1 stick of ram in slot closest to cpu. connect psu and GPU. NO USB, no HDD. If that doesn't work, time to use a second rig (kwown to be fully functional) and start swapping parts.

Good luck.
Old June 22, 2011, 05:32 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
10 Step "No Post" BIOS Recovery Guide

Take board out of case, install only cpu, hsf, 1 stick of ram in slot closest to cpu. connect psu and GPU. NO USB, no HDD. If that doesn't work, time to use a second rig (kwown to be fully functional) and start swapping parts.

Good luck.
I tried something as random as pulling out the Keyboard and Mouse and it got past the motherboard logo screen, but now it's on another screen "Verifying DMI Pool Data..........." Is what this screen basically says.
Old June 22, 2011, 06:58 AM
Banned
F@H

you might want to borrow an older cpu to flash bios? perhaps.

did you hook up the extra power to the board?

edit : that may look like a corrupt bios. sometimes bad/incompatible ram,can do that as well.
Old June 22, 2011, 07:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Try and get ahold of a athlon II, or phenom II x4, your bios most likely needs to be flashed to support 6 core CPUs.
Old June 22, 2011, 08:22 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
Try and get ahold of a athlon II, or phenom II x4, your bios most likely needs to be flashed to support 6 core CPUs.
You're really on something there mate, I've checked the compability of the Motherboard and it says it should support 6 core CPU's -after- a BIOS update.. hmm.. So you don't think it is the ram (brand new) or the HDD's that's faulty?
Old June 22, 2011, 10:47 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
Alright Supafly you were right I talked to a computer expert who lives in close to me and he said that I should borrow my friends AMD processor (4 cores) and then update the bios to support 6 cores.

Now.. is this an easy procedure?
Old June 22, 2011, 11:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwarburton View Post
Alright Supafly you were right I talked to a computer expert who lives in close to me and he said that I should borrow my friends AMD processor (4 cores) and then update the bios to support 6 cores.

Now.. is this an easy procedure?
Easy peasy.

Drop the processor in and the bios can be updated through the bios itself via a USB stick.
Old June 23, 2011, 11:25 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Easy peasy.

Drop the processor in and the bios can be updated through the bios itself via a USB stick.
Okay. I've borrowed an AMD Athlon x2 from my friend, I am currently on my way home so.. Well. When I put it in, and hopefully this will be a painless "task" and it boots up as normal and I get into the computer as normal, where do I go from here? I am not very familiar with BIOS and stuff like that, but you said it was easy peasy so.. I was just wondering, if you could perhaps enlighten me abit on the subject of "flashing" bios..

Any help or suggestions would be highly appreciated :)
Old June 23, 2011, 11:27 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Confirm which BIOS version is installed; latest is F9B. GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3 - GA-MA785GT-UD3H (rev. 1.1)

@Bios: @BIOS

This is through Windows. I did it a few times, no issues. But others will chime in and recommend to download the BIOS on a bootable USB stick, and flash using DOS.