Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 17, 2011, 10:06 PM
Rookie

Default cooling question

OK. so im building my first system and ive everything ready to go. i was going to use a obsidian 700d for my case but then i saw the 600t white and passed out due to sheer obsession. im probably going to get it anyway but there is one factor i wonder if i can fix with the 600t. i will be replacing the 120mm and 200mm fan on the back and top of the 600t with four low dba fans that fit the look of the case better. 2 fans for the h60 and two fans for the top exhaust. the 120mm replacement fans are ZALMAN SF3 120mm Shark's Fin Blades. they go really well with the look and they are quieter than the fans that come with. As for my dilemma, im installing a msi 560ti hawk in my build and the exhaust, like the exhaust from most other cards, is fired right into the 200mm intake fan on the front of the 600t. there is no bottom intake fan option to push that heat upward, into the place where the two top fans can spit it out. Am i worrying about this too much? Should i just reverse the front fan to pull the exhaust out? Can i do something to mount a fan at the bottom to pull air and push it up? Should i get a different case? (id hate to not get the 600t over this one thing) i feel like this isnt that big a deal. but any help would be great.
Old June 17, 2011, 11:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The 560Ti Hawk is what I'd consider a large card and an obstruction to airflow with the added bonus of internal exhaust. In that case I would set up my case airflow for high positive pressure, if dust isn't an issue I would set all the fans except the rear 120mm to intake. If your room is dusty, I would set all but the top 200mm and get extra filters. This would make it so both the H60 and Hawk are exhausting hot air in the case and I can't be 100% sure on the benefits of positive air pressure vs negative pressure in a case with only the GPU being an obstruction, so it's best for you to just test different fan configs.
Old June 18, 2011, 05:05 AM
Top Prospect

MAybe you could set the psu to intake the gpu air, and pull it away.

Also, may be able to use some 5.25'' drive bays for a fan.

there is the nice way, Scythe SCKB-1000BK Kama Bay 5.25inch System Cooler - Black

and there is the ghetto way, which is to just zip tie the fan in place. The 600T has drive bay covers that are holy already I believe, so just zip tie it in.
Old June 18, 2011, 08:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think you might be over thinking it a bit. Yes, a GPU dumping hot air in to your case isn't 'ideal'. But a single 560 Hawk is not going to create so much hot air as to be a problem. The 5xx series are relatively good for that. Also remember that the hot air from the GPU will naturally rise enough to be caught in the air cycle from the front intake. And if you follow the previous advice and set your cooler to intake, then you'll assist that upwards current.
Old June 18, 2011, 08:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile New Build

Great suggestions so far. The only thing I would recommend is 2 make sure you get high cfm fans for case intake and exhaust, and add filters if there aren't any or enough. My results were about 6cv

drop in temps.

The +ive pres.in a case reduces dust intake and essentially forces air out of the case. With good exhaust fans, it allows air 2 constantly flow through. This prevents stale air and excess heat, 2 a

degree. If heat still seems 2 b an issue, then consider a gpu fan and pull 1 or 2 blades from the expansion slots 2 allow increased air flow. Using a gpu fan allowed me 2 touch a 480s tubing after an hour

of Prime 95 without any noticeable heat. 90 cfm fan @ 16dbs, supposedly.

The experts on this site will have some great advice, so u should b able to allay any fears, but I don't think you need 2 b concerned with heat, by simply changing your fans.