Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 12, 2011, 05:17 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Planning new rack server

Hey there, I'm going to be building a new server and was looking for comments / suggestions on the following:

Case: Super Micro 2U - Rackmount 825TQ-R720LPB 2U 720W 8x3.5Hot-swap SAS/SATA ATX Black Retail

Board: ASUS P8B WS

CPU: Xeon E3-1230

Raid 5: Adaptec RAID 6805 KIT

HD: 3 x Seagate Cheetah 15K.7 300GB SAS 6BP/S 3.5IN 15000RPM

Mem: 2 x Kingston 4GB DDR3 1333MHz ECC Registered CL9 DIMM 1.5V Server Memory

Cooler: Zalman CNPS8000A Heatsink Fan

O/S: Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS

Thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited by Entilza; June 12, 2011 at 05:26 AM.
Old June 13, 2011, 11:17 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I can't find any faults in the setup.
Those are badass drives.. most of my clients opt for the 7200rpm drives when they mount them in a backplane. But that will get you where you need to be - fast! :)

I'm guessing you're going to RAID5 the three drives? I always prefer to RAID1 two drives for the OS, then RAID5 the data drives. It's another drive, but "better" fault tolerance, as RAID 5 recovery can be sketchy sometimes. At 300GB, you should be fine though.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old June 13, 2011, 12:22 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hey there, thanks for the thumbs up.

I've always just used RAID 5 on the entire thing. I never thought to do what you suggested, it would require 5 drives then instead of the 3 though?

O/S - RAID 1 (2 drives)
Data - RAID 5 (3 Drives)

The performance would be definitely better in that setup.

These SAS drives are pricey, the Seagates seem reasonable though so we're going for the 300 or 450 sizes.. I liked that the controller has online capacity increase. So you can add another drive in future and increase the raid capacity without formatting... I have yet to try it sounds real cool.

Would you believe we're still running on a Pentium III server right now? :P We do have a raid 5 setup which is what is keeping the system going as our software is mostly I/O Intensive. But this server should be an insane increase in performance.
Old June 13, 2011, 12:36 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Ah right, yeah it is two extra drives, not one.
I do onsite IT support for small/medium business' in a small town now, so a PIII isn't hard to envision - I deal with a mix of older and newer hardware all day.

That setup will be light years ahead of what you're currently running, considering PIII's were "new" in 1999-2002 ish.
There's nothing wrong with having a RAID5 OS drive, but I personally like to separate the OS and data for security and fault tolerance reasons.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.