Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 6, 2011, 12:56 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addictedtokaos View Post
+1^^^^^^^ Dude, Windows 7 will boot with all new hardware but for the love of g0d, do a fresh install!

Also, get off that WD HDD as your boot drive. I did a test the other day. I have Black ops on my Sata 6gbps SSD and to load the new maps takes maybe 2-4 seconds. I transfered it to my RAID1 WD Blacks and the load time was easily 3x-4x longer.

So what Im getting at first reusing your window install is most likely causing your major performance issues (did you reuse windows install for the 775 system?!?! and then for the 1156?)
Next your HD is acting as a bottleneck for your system.
If you're not the kind of person who has over 9000 services and processes attempt to simultaneously start up on log in, using a WD Black isn't really that much of a problem.

If he was perfectly fine with the speed of the WDBlack before he upgraded, I'm sure he'll be fine with it after he reinstalls Windows.

If you absolutely need to have your maps load in 2-4 seconds, you need to slow down. Seriously.
Old June 6, 2011, 06:00 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

hahaha too funny.
i could care less about load times for games i usually get up and go do something while waiting for load screens but when the system needs to be turned on IT NEEDS TO BE ON ASAP
so what i'll do first is a bios update
it will be some time before i get a new hdd. i have 900+ gb's of movies and games on my boot drive.
my 2tb drive stores xbox 360 images of games... yeah... im a pirate.
hey; my 2tb green drive with 64mb cache has literally twice as much bandwidth as my black 1tb with32mb cache... is that normal?
I am seriously considering buying one for a boot drive! people call me crazy but my file transfers on my 2tb are 100-120MB's a second! "MB's" not "Mbps"
un-rarring items onto my 2tb is way faster than unzipping on my 1tb could be because of the load already on my black drive tho..
Old June 6, 2011, 07:43 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickmagnet19 View Post
hahaha too funny.
i could care less about load times for games i usually get up and go do something while waiting for load screens but when the system needs to be turned on IT NEEDS TO BE ON ASAP
so what i'll do first is a bios update
it will be some time before i get a new hdd. i have 900+ gb's of movies and games on my boot drive.
my 2tb drive stores xbox 360 images of games... yeah... im a pirate.
hey; my 2tb green drive with 64mb cache has literally twice as much bandwidth as my black 1tb with32mb cache... is that normal?
I am seriously considering buying one for a boot drive! people call me crazy but my file transfers on my 2tb are 100-120MB's a second! "MB's" not "Mbps"
un-rarring items onto my 2tb is way faster than unzipping on my 1tb could be because of the load already on my black drive tho..
I believe the dual processor on the black will out perform the extra cache on the green drive...you want the best start ups then stay away from a green drive for a boot and save up for a nice little ssd.
Old June 7, 2011, 05:40 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

hey there maybe someone can help me.
I cannot figure out how to update my bios on my evga classified 3way sli.
the links on evga's site are broken!
btw; overclocked cpu to 3.5 ghz and my 960 i7 is finally scoring higher than my 4.0ghz 775 did in 3d mark 06! :)
Old June 7, 2011, 06:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

EVGA BIOS updates takes some getting used to.

I have found it best from CD.

Down load bios .
burn an ISO disk On a CD.

Set optical as first boot device. in Bios

Load defalts in bios.

Cold start system. Hit escape as soon as it beeps.
Shiould get chose boot device
chose drive cd drive
Let it Flash

shuit it doun. hit switch at back. Un plug and wait a minute.

Plug back in turn on. reboot. Load defalts.

Flashing on EVGA X58 IS fun
Old June 7, 2011, 08:23 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I think ive had some good numbers in 3d mark with my evga setup. higher than i had with a 5870 and a qx9650.
heres some picks. there was 3 stages i did. i am using a stock cooler which is why my temps are so high.
tried hitting 4.0ghz with a lower vcore and it froze lol ill try again later.
Attached Images

Old June 9, 2011, 03:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addictedtokaos View Post
Next your HD is acting as a bottleneck for your system.
Right, we don't see no SSD in there and it will help a lot with reboot and shutdowns, not to mention game levels loading.
Old June 9, 2011, 08:44 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

I did not re-install windows i just plugged in hdd and went on installing drivers after removing old ones lol.

is the red flag.
Old June 10, 2011, 05:45 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

hey guys i am informing you all that I have ordered a new 2tb green drive and will be using it as my new boot drive.
I am in need of much more tb's and i was not happy with my caviar black drive for speeds. my current green drive has twice as fast transfer speeds at a consistent rate.(green116MBps>black56MBps)
what i may do if everyone insists is keep my black drive as a boot drive but transfer everything to my second green.
I have personally seen a huge performance boost with the green. I actually had my heart set on waiting for a 3tb green to come down in price but i dont think that will happen anytime soon.
higher density platters means faster searches etc.
my two drives are struggling for space so it had to be done. an ssd at this point would not be money well spent.
I am all ears to know which ssd is a good investment for price/performance for my next paycheck tho lol.
something in the 200+MBps area would be great! :)
Old June 10, 2011, 06:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you're gonna kill a green drive if you use it as a boot drive.. parks it self after 5 secs iirc.