Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 5, 2011, 10:49 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Gf's quiet PC

Quote:
1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

9. What resolution do you use?
Well, I figured I should get come input on a build I'm nearly finished with - you guys seem to have a really great grasp on what works best. This is my third computer I've built myself, so I'm still fairly new to things, but have learned a lot on this particular build.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

This is a PC for my girlfriend, who will most likely use it for gaming, photoshop, video editing/rendering, and light coding.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

Coming into this build, I originally thought I'd scavenge a few parts from my PC till bulldozer came along. now that it's delayed, I've ordered most of the parts - with around a 1000 - 1200 $ price tag at the end, thanks to NCIX and Dazmode deals.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

Canada exclusively.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

Since this was to be partly scavenged from my current AMD system, anything AMD and ATI. As for the case, the entire quiet PC is mounted in a Fractal Define R3 case.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

As mentioned, intended on using my MSI 890fx board, as well as my 1100t - but plans fell through with the bulldozer delay.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

Browsed quite a few - I see I'm not the only one who's been delayed by the Bulldozer!

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

This is a good question - Ideally I would say yes, but silence and stability is the heart of this build. I want something low maintenance, sturdy, and versatile all while being whisper quiet for the mrs.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

Most of it is already done - but I'd like to finish it as soon as possible.

9. What resolution do you use?

I think she'd be using 1920 x 1080.

Onto the particular parts now. I scavenged most of these through NCIX and Daz over the past 2 months.

Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Black - A NCIX bundle with the Coolit ECO ALC cooler esentially free.

PSU: Corsair TX650V2 - wishing I went with something modular.

Mobo: Asus M4A89TD Pro - picked it up for really cheap with another Asus GPU (below) at NCIX.

GPU: Asus EAH6850 - non-reference HD6850 with a decent cooler on it.

CPU: AMD 1090t - I feel more comfortable with the Black chips like my 1100t, so I figured I should bite the bullet and grab a 1090t.

HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB - she has several externals as well, so storage isn't a big issue.

CPU cooler: Coolit Eco ALC - came with the R3 case in a bundle, and was essentially free. I think I payed 5 dollars for it, so I figured I'd try it out. Low maintenance, and I heard it was a good performer.

RAM - Corsair Dominator 1600 8gb (4x2gb) DDR3

ODD: Samsung dvd writer - she won't be watching blu-rays.

Fans: Feser Triebwerk lowspeed 120-55cm radiator fan - really impressed by this thing, and I figured I'd try one out on her computer since it's a "quiet" build and all. I was hoping to mount this onto the Coolit Eco ALC, but the specialized screws aren't compatible unfortunately. I've still found a use for it however!
Old June 5, 2011, 12:03 PM
Banned
F@H

get a 2500 non k on an h67 mobo?

hr-02 for fanless operation. not that the stock intel is loud or anything

thats a ncie quiet psu. or a seasonic fanless? :)

case wise thats nice.
Old June 5, 2011, 03:23 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

WD Blacks are not quiet. Strongly suggest purchasing a 60GB SSD in its place.
Old June 5, 2011, 04:13 PM
Top Prospect

I really don't see the point of using an ECO ALC with a non k processor, If you do decide to go non-k, pick up a quieter air cooler.

Pick up an SSD, or a caviar blue at least, because, as mentioned above, the blacks aren't really quiet.