Upgrade time Me-thinks
Been a few years since I put anything into my PC so i was thinking it is time. Here is what I have now
4 gigs Mushkin ddr-1066
ocz gamerExtreme 700W
I have been good up until now, but I just got Portal II and Witcher 2 and they are not playing that well.
I was thinking about 600 bucks Canadian could be spared right now.
Go now for a 569/570/6970/6950, and wait till you can save some more cash for the entire build. A 600$ rig won't be worth it for gaming...
My opinion :)
Wow, it wasn't that long ago that a GTX 280 was a top shelf video card. I second GT7R's recommendation for changing video card only.
It is as I feared. I basically need an entire new build, MB, CPU, RAM, and GPU?
Thanx guys. How much on an increase should I expect from just a GPU upgrade?
A 570 will give you 170% of the 280 performance. If your resolution is above 1920x1200, a 6970 will handle a bit better (especially with AA on).
You can leave the 280 for physx, but I'm not sure this psu will do.
Unlike the others, I think that it would be better to upgrade from 775, but keep your GPU. Two years ago I would have suggested keeping the E8600, but more and more games are using more than 2 cores.
Depending on how much you feel you need, and whether or not ram prices will drop even lower, pick either 4, or 8GBs of RAM:
4GB ($45): Newegg.ca - WINTEC AMPX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 3AXH1600C8WS4GK
8GB ($83): Newegg.ca - Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K2/8G
Also, decide between AMD/Phenom X6/X4 or Intel/Sandy Bridge AMD will cost less, but Intel will perform better. There is also the choice on whether or not to wait for bulldozer from AMD. If you buy now, you will be able to sell your current items for more, if you wait they will sell for less. If you get a good enough price for your current things you may even be able to upgrade from the 280, to something like a 6950.
Mobo 1 ($135): Newegg.ca - GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Mobo 2 ($140): Newegg.ca - MSI 890FXA-GD65 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU (x6) ($180): Newegg.ca - AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX
CPU (x4) ($115): Newegg.ca - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX
Mobo 1 ($200):Newegg.ca - ASUS P8P67 EVO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Mobo 2 ($135): Newegg.ca - MSI P67A-G43 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Mobo 3 ($130): Newegg.ca - GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD3-B3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU ($210): Newegg.ca - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
Add shipping, handling and taxes too.
Edit: A 6950 2GB, Phenom II X4, MSI 890FX, and 4GB comes to $640 after taxes/shipping. If you sell the your current CPU/Mobo/ram/gpu can use that to bump yourself up to an x6, and 8GB.
Edit #2: If you buy from the B/S/T here you can save even more. There is an ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 motherboard for sale. It is for AMD, and has the 890GX chipset. It is pretty good, it saves you $35+taxes, and it's slightly better. Anyways, think about buying used.
start with psu and gpu. say a nice corsair 500 watter and up? just in case your ocz decides to go.
and a 6950. 1/2gb. or a 560 ti
if your on stock clocks its not worth it to dump into the better gpu as i am on a 260 216 and bought a 6950 just to see the difference. most games performed the same like SC2 of which gained about 5% increase given its more cpu dependent. other games barely had a increase as well. would just wait until ivy bridge is released next year and try to aim for that. under some worst case conditions there was a noticeable increase but still unplayable as would be with the 260 "assuming game needs patch". if anything if you can sli the 280 would probably be your best bet and getting a quad core to last you another 1-2 years. cheapest solution i believe would be that. a 560 non ti would also be decent priced and could be in sli later. as nix said many games are quad core optimized and the cpu will be bottle necking the gpu.
I am not sure what I will do now. Maybe is best to try and save a bit more money.
You could look into a quad core, and then gpu. Both would make a nice step up from what u have now. More and more games r starting 2
make use of multiple cores 4 a better gaming experience. I also agree with dang about another psu, possibly modular. I found a Q8400 on
Newegg.ca. About $200 2 bump up including taxes.
Agree with the others, 560...580. Keep an eye on the BST 4 great deals on gpus,....While it's not necessary, think about bumping up your OS 2
Win7 if not already using it, later on of course.
Good luck and enjoy, whichever way u go!
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:56 AM.|