Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Static Control (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/43910-static-control.html)

Reyzac June 4, 2011 07:28 AM

Static Control

Hey all,

After so much time dealing with computer parts that feel like they were molded out of sh!t, I finally have some parts on the way for a new rig, that I'm christening "Project Panama." But after losing two builds to ESD, I am really leery this time around and want to ensure that NOTHING goes wrong. The nature of my place means I must build while standing on a carpeted surface (although on a wood table with metal legs). I will be wearing rubber-soled flip-flops, but I feel like I need to go further. I feel like I need a pair of nitrile gloves ('cause I hear nitrile is naturally static-resistant) and an anti-static wrist strap. Or more. Do I really need all this? Is there a better way? Am I being paranoid? Any input appreciated. Just wanting to not fry my brand-new rig.

EDIT: Also, I just realized, to my disdain, that my GPU doesn't come with a DVI-to-VGA adapter. How much do these generally run? Prefer to buy one local, not interested in paying like $30 in shipping.

Dr_BenD_over June 4, 2011 07:49 AM

A wriststrap at a minimum should be enough. Being barefoot might be better than the flip flops.

Reyzac June 4, 2011 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over (Post 521199)
A wriststrap at a minimum should be enough. Being barefoot might be better than the flip flops.

Even on carpet?

Dr_BenD_over June 4, 2011 08:07 AM

In my experience, yes. But the wriststrap should be enough on it's own for consumer electronics.

jcmaz June 4, 2011 08:12 AM

Just ask the manufacturer to send you one. I know XFX does this for sure since they sent me a HDMI-DVI and a VGA-DVI adapters in two separate occasions. However, your mileage may vary.

As for static electricity, i just touch my case before I start working on it. So far, all is well.

Reyzac June 4, 2011 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmaz (Post 521206)
Just ask the manufacturer to send you one. I know XFX does this for sure since they sent me a HDMI-DVI and a VGA-DVI adapters in two separate occasions. However, your mileage may vary.

As for static electricity, i just touch my case before I start working on it. So far, all is well.

Do they really do that? Hmm, should check that out.

Yeah, I built a rig for a friend where that's all I did, and it was stellar, but then again he had hardwood.

sswilson June 4, 2011 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reyzac (Post 521207)
Do they really do that? Hmm, should check that out.

Yeah, I built a rig for a friend where that's all I did, and it was stellar, but then again he had hardwood.

It's the movement on the carpet that causes the static build-up, not the carpet itself. Just be sure to touch the case every time you move around and your potential (difference in electrical charge between you and the components) will be neutral.

jcmaz June 4, 2011 08:23 AM

I build my PC's on my carpetted floor coz I don't have space on my tables. But that hasn't killed any PC parts yet. (Knock on wood)

Reyzac June 4, 2011 08:26 AM

All right then, I'll make sure to do all that (but I'm still wearing a wrist strap.) :haha:

Reyzac June 4, 2011 01:19 PM

One more thing: How do I tell which port is a DVI-I and which is a DVI-D on my vid card?
Sorry for the double post.