Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 1, 2011, 07:46 AM
Hall Of Fame

Oh man so many of you in here are not getting the point.

Gift or not she is your wife and if you can't be honest with your wife then what that saying about the relationship? If I bought something for my gf/wife and she wasn't happy with it and wanted to return it so be it, but the thing is if you buy something that they want to return either that means you suck at getting gifts or don't know what they truly want.

My gf would never buy be something like this cause she knows how particular I am and unless I make specifics of what I do want she is still hesitant.

Personally the machine will suit you just fine but if you don't think you can be happy with it then suck it up and be honest with her.
Old June 1, 2011, 09:34 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I agree with enaberif, she is your wife be honest with her, if you don't and she finds out you did not like it can make it worse. If your not happy with it just tell her she is your wife she will understand honesty is the best policy. You both take it back together and then show her what you wanted to do and buy.
Old June 1, 2011, 10:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think I agree with Ena. (Oh god what have I done )

Maybe bring her with you to get parts or even get her to help build it? Show her you're thankful for the thought and you're not just being picky.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old June 1, 2011, 10:30 AM
Rookie

I've been getting a lot of help with building computers from this forum, but I never expected to learn so much about building a good relationship as well.
Old June 1, 2011, 11:41 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilauea View Post
It is not an easy situation I agree, but isn't communication an important part of marriage ?
If you can't express yourself on such a matter, what would it be with a more important one. I would try and find a way to thank my wife, but also mention that you wish to try to build your own computer, it is actually a very fun activity to do. It doesn't mean you don't appreciate her actions, far from it and you mentioned this right off the bat, its just that you would like something a little different. You could even ask her advice in the process of building your own computer (ie, what case).
That!
Otherwise, you might end up in the same situation when your bench grinder dies, or when your shoes take a crap, or whenever you need to buy something new to replace something you often use.
Old June 1, 2011, 12:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

last thing wife would buy me is a pc lol

and if she bought me that one it would go back asap

evga e760 +920 4.8 water5.0+ on phase linx stable
gtx285 tri-sli
dfi ut-p35 lt
e8600@4.6 1.38v
too much ram
Old June 1, 2011, 01:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Nice thread.

A question to the OP, did she pay with the family credit card ? Meaning you kind of paid a PC you dont want, nice !

Truth be told, I would agree with AKG and Jacky. This computer is plenty for your use, maybe some new GPU. I would try it with the regular HDD first and then see if you find it to slow.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old June 1, 2011, 07:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Return the Machine

Hi there,

I dunno how sensitive your wife is, but I am sure in a relationship honesty counts.
I mean when my bf saw that I wanted to buy a computer, he made sure I saw all the options out there aside from those we see from Big Corporate Retailers.

I know it might hurt her, but you can explain your point and show her this amazing Lian Li case I ended up getting. I don't know much about computers so I do not know about the upgrades you are about to make, but I am sure she might be interested and you get to build your computer to your liking and she gets something relatively compact cute and contemporary.

I hope this helps.

Edit: The above was posted by my gf.

Last edited by Kilauea; June 1, 2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old June 1, 2011, 11:56 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I'm with AkG on this matter. That CPU can pretty much do anything a regular user could do. Drop in a 60GB SSD and a mid range GPU like the GTX560 Ti or HD6870 and you have a decent rig there. I'd say what your wife gave was half decent but still it is a gift and its the thought that counts.
Old June 2, 2011, 06:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I guess I'm a heartless bastard but I would return it.

However, I'm quite sure that the situation would not happen to begin with. People typically just stick to buying me tools I need or will use in the future.

edit: Just confirmed with the woman.... I asked her "would you buy me a TV or a computer?" She said "You? No way. I'm sure I wouldn't buy the right thing."