Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 1, 2011, 12:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
Also why the hate against OEM computers. Most consumers would be JUST fine with them, and in fact they are. Just having a self-built computer doesn't grant any superiority over others because when you take a step back and look at the differences, it might just be a few seconds off of decompressing something. I'm truly shocked at how inconsiderate some of you are.
for me, it's not so much the hating on the hardware, but the 3+ tons of bloat ware that you either have to remove or can't remove. and the overpricing of the same hardware just for a name.
if someone is talking about buying a prebuilt computer, I generally try and convince them to buy components and build the computer themselves. just get someone to check over the list before buying to make sure it all fits. you have to admit that aside from better prices, the feeling after getting a computer you just built posts and boots up is great.
Old June 1, 2011, 12:20 AM
F@H

My System Specs

5% of us like that feeling. The other 95% of the population just want the damn thing to work when they hit the power button.
Old June 1, 2011, 12:30 AM
Banned
F@H

although you got to admit it....its easy to pop the cd in and its bran sprankin fresh new again! :)

for family and people who tend to spend 3 weeks on the phone with ya, the perfect system.
especially since i had no nada whatsoever in building it.
Old June 1, 2011, 02:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
5% of us like that feeling. The other 95% of the population just want the damn thing to work when they hit the power button.
I agree Gord for most of the pop a Prebuild is just the ticket, what you trade off in performance you gain in support and lets face it most ppl that have a prebuild need that support at one time or the other.
No need to upgrade the CPU but if you game then yes the 6450 is going to be lacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old June 1, 2011, 03:50 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post

dont return it,thatt'd be bad.

although you dont want this to happen again soo...hmm...

tough choice buddy
It's not an accessory, or an item that reflects someone's taste or personality. Be honest and say it in a nice way like (It's so fast but the hard drive is mechanical honey! Graphics are so good but it won't anti alias this game, you can think of something that will make her feel happy, proud and confused altogether) Return the PC and build a better one brother!
Old June 1, 2011, 04:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It is not an easy situation I agree, but isn't communication an important part of marriage ?
If you can't express yourself on such a matter, what would it be with a more important one. I would try and find a way to thank my wife, but also mention that you wish to try to build your own computer, it is actually a very fun activity to do. It doesn't mean you don't appreciate her actions, far from it and you mentioned this right off the bat, its just that you would like something a little different. You could even ask her advice in the process of building your own computer (ie, what case).
Old June 1, 2011, 05:58 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

A) You have a wonderful (and very considerate) wife. Congrats. You are a lucky man.

B) Drop a SSD in there, yank the GPU and stick in a decent one and you will have a very decent system.

No need to hurt your wife's feelings, no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater, etc etc., by starting from scratch. Your CPU is more than good enough for 99% of things. The SSD will add some pep and the better GPU will make things better looking...AND you still get to keep your HP warranty.

YMMV but that is how I would handle the situation. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 1, 2011, 06:12 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I agree with AkG, you really don't need a more powerful processor unless you are doing video rendering or something that really tasks the processor 24/7. Gaming, web browsing, and word processing won't really push the processor that HP comes with to its limits really.

You also need just upgrade that graphics card to something less sad.
Old June 1, 2011, 06:20 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I rather have a cheesy computer and a great wife then a great computer and a cheesy wife.....I think.
Old June 1, 2011, 07:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I rather have a cheesy computer and a great wife then a great computer and a cheesy wife.....I think.

Well said, I would follow AKG's advice.