Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old June 1, 2011, 12:14 AM
bissa's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kelowna BC
Posts: 1,160

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
Also why the hate against OEM computers. Most consumers would be JUST fine with them, and in fact they are. Just having a self-built computer doesn't grant any superiority over others because when you take a step back and look at the differences, it might just be a few seconds off of decompressing something. I'm truly shocked at how inconsiderate some of you are.
for me, it's not so much the hating on the hardware, but the 3+ tons of bloat ware that you either have to remove or can't remove. and the overpricing of the same hardware just for a name.
if someone is talking about buying a prebuilt computer, I generally try and convince them to buy components and build the computer themselves. just get someone to check over the list before buying to make sure it all fits. you have to admit that aside from better prices, the feeling after getting a computer you just built posts and boots up is great.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old June 1, 2011, 12:20 AM
SugarJ's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Langley, BC
Posts: 6,140

My System Specs

Default

5% of us like that feeling. The other 95% of the population just want the damn thing to work when they hit the power button.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old June 1, 2011, 12:30 AM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

although you got to admit it....its easy to pop the cd in and its bran sprankin fresh new again! :)

for family and people who tend to spend 3 weeks on the phone with ya, the perfect system.
especially since i had no nada whatsoever in building it.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old June 1, 2011, 02:18 AM
Supergrover's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Okanagan Falls, British Columbia
Posts: 4,261

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
5% of us like that feeling. The other 95% of the population just want the damn thing to work when they hit the power button.
I agree Gord for most of the pop a Prebuild is just the ticket, what you trade off in performance you gain in support and lets face it most ppl that have a prebuild need that support at one time or the other.
No need to upgrade the CPU but if you game then yes the 6450 is going to be lacking.
__________________
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old June 1, 2011, 03:50 AM
Allstar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post

dont return it,thatt'd be bad.

although you dont want this to happen again soo...hmm...

tough choice buddy
It's not an accessory, or an item that reflects someone's taste or personality. Be honest and say it in a nice way like (It's so fast but the hard drive is mechanical honey! Graphics are so good but it won't anti alias this game, you can think of something that will make her feel happy, proud and confused altogether) Return the PC and build a better one brother!
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old June 1, 2011, 04:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,358

My System Specs

Default

It is not an easy situation I agree, but isn't communication an important part of marriage ?
If you can't express yourself on such a matter, what would it be with a more important one. I would try and find a way to thank my wife, but also mention that you wish to try to build your own computer, it is actually a very fun activity to do. It doesn't mean you don't appreciate her actions, far from it and you mentioned this right off the bat, its just that you would like something a little different. You could even ask her advice in the process of building your own computer (ie, what case).
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old June 1, 2011, 05:58 AM
AkG's Avatar
AkG AkG is offline
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,385
Default

A) You have a wonderful (and very considerate) wife. Congrats. You are a lucky man.

B) Drop a SSD in there, yank the GPU and stick in a decent one and you will have a very decent system.

No need to hurt your wife's feelings, no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater, etc etc., by starting from scratch. Your CPU is more than good enough for 99% of things. The SSD will add some pep and the better GPU will make things better looking...AND you still get to keep your HP warranty.

YMMV but that is how I would handle the situation. :)
__________________
"If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe." -JR

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old June 1, 2011, 06:12 AM
Arinoth's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 8,603

My System Specs

Default

I agree with AkG, you really don't need a more powerful processor unless you are doing video rendering or something that really tasks the processor 24/7. Gaming, web browsing, and word processing won't really push the processor that HP comes with to its limits really.

You also need just upgrade that graphics card to something less sad.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old June 1, 2011, 06:20 AM
Dan Dan is offline
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 87

My System Specs

Default

I rather have a cheesy computer and a great wife then a great computer and a cheesy wife.....I think.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old June 1, 2011, 07:23 AM
stoanee's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lacombe Alberta
Posts: 3,258

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I rather have a cheesy computer and a great wife then a great computer and a cheesy wife.....I think.

Well said, I would follow AKG's advice.
__________________
heatware
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wife can't join? Slik Gaming 10 May 1, 2010 07:22 PM
New AMD Computer for my Wife nwboater New Builds 9 April 18, 2010 02:14 PM
WIFE IS PISSED!!!! Wi-Fuzzy HardwareCanucks F@H Team 81 March 24, 2010 04:58 PM
help my wife KaosMage Cases 8 October 24, 2009 09:10 PM
I got into a fight with my wife Mark Off Topic 7 May 7, 2009 04:57 PM