Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 29, 2011, 06:17 PM
Rookie

Default advice on NCIX gaming PC

hi,

I don't know a lot about building a PC, and I saw this on NCIX site:(NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Online PC Discount Store, Buy Computer Accessories)

AMD Phenom II X6 Processor
ATI Radeon 6870 1GB Graphics
CrossfireX Ready!
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
8 USB 2.0 Ports (2 front)
2 USB 3.0 Ports
4GB DDR3 Memory (RAM)
1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
22x DVD/CD Writer 620W Power Supply 7.1 high definition audio Onboard Gigabit Ethernet

please help me see if this is a good choice.
this build is about 1200 Canadian dollars
is this a good value?
would this play high end games, battlefield 3, witcher 2, etc on high settings?
do you think this can play good games for at least 2 years without any upgrade?
does this have good potential for future upgrade?

thanks in advance
Old May 29, 2011, 06:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You could build a better spec PC for less by picking individual parts, using price-match and then adding the $50 build option (NCIX builds your PC) to your shopping cart.

Don't bother with AMD's offerings right now, unless you're going budget dual-core. With your budget, go LGA1155 or wait for Bulldozer. I believe NCIX has a MSI P67-G45 and Intel 2500K combo deal going on right now for a little over $300.
Old May 29, 2011, 06:28 PM
MVP

I see you are going high end AMD. You need to wait. Seriously. In one week AMD 990FX is supposed to be out.
Old May 29, 2011, 06:38 PM
Rookie

I can wait. I'm not in a rush to buy.
but the thing is I don't know enough to pick each part by my self, that's why I picked one of their build which is close to my budget.

If you have any suggestion on choosing any different part, please be as specific as possible.
I really appreciate any help or advice

thanks
Old May 29, 2011, 09:36 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I think you should wait for bulldozer. No reason not too, it should be announced/released so very soon.

Then, once you know if your going to build bulldozer or sandy bridge, you can worry about the other components.
Old May 29, 2011, 10:26 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by loseindream View Post
I can wait. I'm not in a rush to buy.
but the thing is I don't know enough to pick each part by my self, that's why I picked one of their build which is close to my budget.

If you have any suggestion on choosing any different part, please be as specific as possible.
I really appreciate any help or advice

thanks
The guys above are right...this is a really bad time to get an AMD based machine with Bulldozer just around the corner.

Once Bulldozer is officially released and there are some concrete price and performance numbers, it's not too difficult to build a PC around the platform you choose (Intel vs. AMD). Make a post here when you're ready...there are a lot of good folks here that will help you part out a good machine.
Old May 30, 2011, 03:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

To answer your question on if its a good gaming rig I would say bluntly no. If you must buy now go for an intel i5 2400/2500/i7 2600 CPU and not AMD. That said, like others have mentioned, I strongly recommend you wait out just a little longer and see what AMD new bulldozer brings to the table.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old May 30, 2011, 07:16 AM
Rookie

thanks for all the input.

I'm not really building my own PC.
this is a built from NCIX as shown in the link.
so I guess it's not worth paying $1000 for it then.

I have so much to learn about choosing the parts, and do you guys know a good place to learn in a sysmetic way??
there're plenty tutorials on how to assemble PC, but not on how to choosing what parts should be used.

thanks again.
Old May 30, 2011, 07:37 AM
Allstar
F@H

Basically all I've ever done is pick the CPU/Motherboard & GPU that will suit whatever needs the computer will be designed for. For RAM I've always used G-Skill or Mushkin, Corsair Power Supplies, Seagate or WD Hard Drives (Their reliability is about the same). Cases are all dependent on the user, as well as the peripherals. All of us forum members can easily help you figure something out by either going through your own parts decisions and suggesting alternatives, or if you fire out a budget and any brand preferences since we already know your primary point is a gaming PC. :)
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old May 30, 2011, 08:09 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neolithium_Wpg View Post
Basically all I've ever done is pick the CPU/Motherboard & GPU that will suit whatever needs the computer will be designed for. For RAM I've always used G-Skill or Mushkin, Corsair Power Supplies, Seagate or WD Hard Drives (Their reliability is about the same). Cases are all dependent on the user, as well as the peripherals. All of us forum members can easily help you figure something out by either going through your own parts decisions and suggesting alternatives, or if you fire out a budget and any brand preferences since we already know your primary point is a gaming PC. :)
thanks, this is really informative.
I don't have much knowledge on all these parts, the good thing about this is that I don't have to have any particular part.

so here's the real "requirements" I have:
1.arount $1200 Canadian,
2.can play high demand games(in high settings) in at least one year without any upgrades
3.have potential for upgrade for 4 years(?), 3 years(?)
4.available to buy at NCIX (the reason for this one is that this is the only site I heard is reputable with good price and they build it for you, so if you know any other place, let me know, I'm open to anything)

I don't know if my "requirements" are even realistic, but from the little knowledge I have, that's what I come up with. please don't laugh at me if they look ridiculous (unless you can give constructive suggestions, then you can laugh at me all you want).

thanks for any input.