Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 2, 2011, 05:42 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalGreen View Post
if you are trying to save money keep in mind those prices on NCIX for the EVGA cards are after 40$ MIRs, but NCIX forgot to post the 30$ MIR on the ASUS card. So imo all things considered the ASUS pricematched is still the better choice!

As for motherboards go, between those 2 boards the ASUS one wins once again but honestly you don't need a Z68 board...a P67 for the same money could get you much better for ur use or u could get same performance with cheaper, either way which ever you prefer its still a win for you!

Edit: here is a better pricematch link, also P.S. this weeks sale doesn't look that great
thanks.
I guess I will stay with ASUS.
as for Z68, the only reason is that I was told Z68 give me the option for RAID and it's only $20 with price match.

edit:
for price match, I saved around $200, is that a common amount? I'm sure there's more saves if I wait or keep digging around, but I don't want to be greed, $200 seems a lot of saving to me, but again, I don't know this market very well.
do you guys think $200 is a small saving when it come to computer parts. if so, I can keep looking.

Last edited by loseindream; June 2, 2011 at 06:06 AM.
Old June 2, 2011, 06:19 AM
MVP

p67 can do raid0 just as well as z68!

there are only 3 differences between p67 and z68:

1. integrated graphics (you will never use this since u have a dedicated gtx 570, also not even all z68 boards come with video out so this feature isn't even usable on all the boards and the simultaneous use of both actually hurts performance so forget the lucid virtu)...
2. smart response (this is not compatible with raid, requires an SSD and even if you had an SSD you would get better performance by just making your SSD your boot drive)
3. identity protection technology (who even cares?)

everything else on the chipsets are exactly identical

I'd suggest pricematching the ASRock Extreme4 @ 165$ (done it b4 with this link they count the 5$MIR as part of the price for once ) bang for buck, nothing even comes close!

Also, with the money you save here you might as well get the the best cooler out there atm, the NH-D14 since the A70 is no longer on special...however if you do, you wont be able to change your mind on the ram to any model with any taller heatspreaders, but then again those things are gimicks!

Last edited by BrutalGreen; June 2, 2011 at 06:29 AM.
Old June 4, 2011, 08:32 PM
Rookie

for 1200 you could get a i7 on a cheap z68 with any vid card with say 2 500gb hd for raid 0 8 gigs of decent ram. all you have to do is pick it out yourself.
Old June 4, 2011, 08:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Forget RAID-0, I'm not sure why people are still suggesting that option. Get a 60/64GB SSD for OS, apps and a few games (your favorite games and/or games that benefit from an SSD) and a single mechanical drive for storage and other "extra" games.
Old June 4, 2011, 09:02 PM
Rookie

security issue with ssd "applies to a small amount of people", high rate of failure "ive seen more ssd fail within 2 years" could just be me on this one, limited OS space "some may exceed the 60ish gigs". the performance is about 3-4x over the raid setup at the cost of security, size, and reliability. the option is up to the end user.
Old June 5, 2011, 10:03 PM
Rookie

I'd go with Intel but it depends I guess. As for the video card, I think you could save a lot buy simply buying second hand. Up to you I guess.