Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 31, 2011, 06:08 PM
MVP

Yeah, you only need/can have one CPU cooler...but stay away from the H60 or any of the hydro series/ALC units...they are all overpriced/underperforming/and for the most part quite loud...

I only suggested the A70 (Air series) as its currently on special at 30$ (instead of the usual overpriced 65$) and the A70 happens to be better than the H212+ which costs 30$ also!

As for reorganizing fans, its not that big of a deal. you could either do it urself or ask ncix if they can do it for you. either way its not even that important, just me being anal about dust
Old May 31, 2011, 06:36 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalGreen View Post
As for reorganizing fans, its not that big of a deal. you could either do it urself or ask ncix if they can do it for you. either way its not even that important, just me being anal about dust
I like your suggestion about "positive pressure case", I'm not very good at keep my computer clean, and my oooooooooooold PC had dust cover the back panel completely.
Old June 1, 2011, 05:02 AM
Rookie

also, what's the best way to price macth? I've been looking up Part Number on www.pricebat.ca. (I hope this doesn't break any rules here)
do you have any other ways that can find bette price watch?

thanks.
Old June 1, 2011, 06:42 AM
Allstar
F@H

I haven't bought anything in a while online, but I always used to use PriceCanada.com: Search. Compare. Buy. - Canadian Online Shopping Search and Comparison!
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old June 1, 2011, 07:31 AM
Rookie

I did try pricecanada, but I found they don't have a lot of the parts I'm looking for. maybe I'm doing something wrong
Old June 1, 2011, 02:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Use the price-matcher here, pricecanada.com, shopbot.ca and canadapost.ca. I find Canada Post's to be the most up-to-date and useful.

What I do is google the product number and then select "pages from Canada." This brings up various Canadian retailers and the price sites I just listed with whatever product number you googled. Sometimes you have to go three or four pages deep to get all of the sites, but it's worth the time and effort. I just right-click on the various links and open them all up in tabs and then search for the lowest price I can find.

Also, one site I find to have the lowest price sometimes but doesn't show up in the price sites that often is Bewawa. FYI.
Old June 1, 2011, 05:39 PM
Rookie

thank, I will try this.
but canada post? how do you do price match on canada post?

also, any suggestions on monitors?
something cheap but not wasting the performance of my PC
Old June 1, 2011, 07:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by loseindream View Post
thank, I will try this.
but canada post? how do you do price match on canada post?
Canada Post Comparison Shopper - Xbox, PS3, Wii, PSP, Digital Camera & Camcorders, Laptops, Netbooks, Servers, Tablet PCs, Speakers, Toys, Movies, Furniture, Clothing - Boxers, Dresses, Cosmetics, Yoga & More
Quote:
also, any suggestions on monitors?
something cheap but not wasting the performance of my PC
LG W2442PA-BF - LCD display - TFT - 24" - widescreen - 1920 x 1080 - 300 cd/m2 - 10000:1 - 2 ms - 0.277 mm HDMI, DVI-D, VGA - speakers: Amazon.ca: Electronics

You won't find a better 60Hz TN monitor for your money, or perhaps at any price for that matter. Links to some reviews:

LG W2442PA Review
PRAD | Review LG Flatron W2442PA-SF

Make sure to get it from Amazon.ca if you go for this particular unit. Amazon not only has the cheapest price for this monitor but they also have free shipping. Furthermore, their return policy is amazing. They'll pay for return shipping even for the slightest defect and send a replacement out to you ASAP express. They are out of stock right now, but they come in stock pretty quick.
Old June 1, 2011, 07:33 PM
Rookie

do these two mobo differ by much?
Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 ATX LGA1155 Z68 DDR3 1PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 2PCI HDMI SLI SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard and ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Z68 LGA1155 ATX 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2 PCI B3 Motherboard

also compare to my current video card ASUS GeForce 570 GTX DirectCU II Fermi 742MHZ 1280MB 3.8 GHz GDDR5 2XDVI HDMI PCI-E Video Card,
are these two better: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 Fermi 732MHZ 1280MB GDDR5 2XDVI Mini-HDMI PCI-E Video Card and EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD Fermi 732MHZ 1280MB GDDR5 2XDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card?

I'm trying to save some money using this week's special at NCIX.
thanks in advance
Old June 2, 2011, 05:31 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by loseindream View Post
EVGA GeForce GTX 570 Fermi 732MHZ 1280MB GDDR5 2XDVI Mini-HDMI PCI-E Video Card and EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD Fermi 732MHZ 1280MB GDDR5 2XDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card?
if you are trying to save money keep in mind those prices on NCIX for the EVGA cards are after 40$ MIRs, but NCIX forgot to post the 30$ MIR on the ASUS card. So imo all things considered the ASUS pricematched is still the better choice!

As for motherboards go, between those 2 boards the ASUS one wins once again but honestly you don't need a Z68 board...a P67 for the same money could get you much better for ur use or u could get same performance with cheaper, either way which ever you prefer its still a win for you!

Edit: here is a better pricematch link, also P.S. this weeks sale doesn't look that great