Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Planning the new beast! (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/43561-planning-new-beast.html)

Neolithium_Wpg May 25, 2011 04:22 PM

Planning the new beast!

Its been about a year since I abandoned my last build idea, seeing as how Ive been moving base to base, and wont be permanently posted until around the end of the year I figured I would stick with desktop replacement notebooks for the time being or perhaps even longer. Unfortunately I keep reading HWC and seeing new builds pop up regularly, and the unusual twitch in my eye has returned, you know, the kind that makes people wonder what in the world is going on in that head? GOT IT BACK! This will be getting started once I get posted to my next base (Which will be the permanent one where I wont be stuck living in shacks), maybe a few people will be interested in seeing how this evolves over the next few months.

My uses for the new design will be gaming, and of course folding 24/7, maybe some movies from time to time but if I really get a HD collection going Ill just build a small HTPC for the family (I smell another thread sometime in the future!) Initially I had my heart set on a dual CPU build, but after putting a rough outline together and getting everything all laid out, planned and priced I promptly went upstairs and changed my shorts, then came back down to re-evaluate the whole idea of a pair of Xeons on an SR2. Ive decided to resurrect my old SFF idea though there have been a few changes to it, and after browsing through a bunch of forums and Google images (Im still trying to decide if this is going to work well or be a giant pain in the ass, but time will tell).

Im still rather torn between cases, the Lian Li PC-V351B has been rather proven to show that it can be WCd (Both the CPU and GPU), though the new Silverstone Sugo SG07 looks like it could potentially fit the bill better, though the power supply that comes with it may not be adequate for what I have in mind and finding a 650 or better watt power supply that is 140mm long is rather annoying at best when youre looking for modular. Im hoping a dual rad will be enough for a 4GHz overclock on the hexacore, and the GTX 570 (Or its future equivalent). All my computer parts will be pricematched and purchased from NCIX, the WC gear will be coming from Dazmode. Any suggestions to help resolve my aforementioned confusion would be greatly appreciated!

Enough rambling on my part, ON WITH THE LIST OF PARTS BABY!

System Components
CPU Intel Core i7 970 (Cheaper than the 980x/990x, and should pull close to the same PPD)
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Gene (One of, if not the best mATX X58 motherboards around)
RAM 3x4GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600 (Cheap and Reliable)
GPU Asus GTX 570 (Not a high end card, but for my uses it works just fine)
OS/HDD 450GB WD Velociraptor (SSD $/GB isn't low enough for my needs)
2TB Western Digital Caviar Green (Storage space)
PSU Corsair AX750 (Need to find out how to shorten the cables a few inches to make them fit fabulously in an SFF Case)
Case Lian Li PC-V351B (May go with the Sugo SG07 but I doubt 600W is enough power)

WC Gear
CPU Block Koolance CPU-370
GPU Block Koolance VID-NX580
Radiator XPSC RS240 Dual 120mm Rad
Pump Swiftech MCP355 w/ Some Res Top (Top TBD)
Tubing 3/8 ID tubing (Id like but I have a feeling it will look too cramped)
Fittings Compression & 45 degree fittings.
Fans Who knows. Probably Scythe Gentle Typhoons depending on space.
Peripherals Will be determined later. Probably something 24 1900x1200 and a Logitech KB/Mouse.

Estimated Cost - Current market value totals up to <$3000. WOO!

Man Im twitching about building this thing, unfortunately I gotta wait for a while longer, its just too pointless until I have somewhere a little more permanent to live. Hope you like it! Always open to suggestions for the WCing, Case/PSU issue or monitor suggestions.

_dangtx_ May 25, 2011 04:26 PM

i would actually go with a sb system,that is till we know how bd does.
and a 16 core bd will pull some folding numbers i reckon :)

not a big fan of 570's.
why not green for storage? just set the parking timer at 5 mins.

have fun maite!

Neolithium_Wpg May 25, 2011 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dangtx_ (Post 517842)
i would actually go with a sb system,that is till we know how bd does.
and a 16 core bd will pull some folding numbers i reckon :)

not a big fan of 570's.
why not green for storage? just set the parking timer at 5 mins.

have fun maite!

If Bulldozer does make some leaps and bounds above AMD's current desktop performance and manages to have a couple of companies fire out a nice mATX board I'll be all over that. I would seriously dive on a Crosshair V Gene so fast it would make my bank account scream. And whoops, the Caviar Black was a typo, I'm so used to choosing those for friends builds now LOL. :thumb:

roh_ultima May 26, 2011 01:47 AM

i would also suggest the sandy bridge

an i5 in that performs extremely well, makes the extra money for the i7 seem a silly waste for such little gain

plus they over clock obscenely. have a friend at 4.5 ghz

some reviews of the i5 2500 and the more expensive 980x and such

for gaming. the extra 2 cores do not add much to the table yet
i've only have a small handfull of games that actually like 3 or more cores

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...review-11.html

AnandTech - AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Review

considering the 970 is almost 600.00 while even a i5 2500K is just over 200.00.
at this time. 6 core is overkill and won't give you any huge benefits. not for what you described what you want your computer to be used for. the folding at home can run on the gtx 570 and do 10 times the amount the cpu could every hope to achieve...if not more

plus the i7 motherboard is about 100.00 more as well.

also just wondering why those design of cases ?
looks rather compact and small. i still have to read up on them and see
just from the images i quickly looked at

JJThomp May 26, 2011 05:19 AM

I believe when overclocked the i7 2600k beats the i7 970. I know it definately comes damn close to the 990x but the 2600k will save you $300 as well.

Arinoth May 26, 2011 05:27 AM

You are both forgetting that he's looking for the system to provided the most PPD possible and well i'm fairly certain the 6 core, 12 thread CPU will yield more PPD then anything sandy bridge and AMD has to currently offer.

roh_ultima May 26, 2011 09:17 AM

no i covered that. i said if he used his 570 to fold

the money he saves, he could buy a second budget computer with another nvidia video card and have it fold 24/7

Neolithium_Wpg May 26, 2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roh_ultima (Post 518003)
no i covered that. i said if he used his 570 to fold

the money he saves, he could buy a second budget computer with another nvidia video card and have it fold 24/7

Overclocked 570s pull around 20k PPD. 4GHz Intel hexacores can easily pound out 65k, the amount of GPU's to cram into a tower to pull that on the same single rig would be a power hungry space heater. I may consider the Sandy Bridge hexacores when they come out in Q4 (Assuming Intel doesn't dick around any longer with LGA2011). Other than basically what I have above, the only other consideration coming to mind right now is the upcoming bulldozer Octacores, which I'm going to be very intrigued to see some folding numbers on those babies....16 threads for under $400? HELLO!

I'm quite aware the PC-V351 is small, that's the fun part about it. There aren't many people around who bother to take a SFF case and WC the CPU & GPU inside it. Someone asked George Mallory why he wanted to climb Mount Everest, the simple reply summed it up best - "Because it's there"

chubaka May 26, 2011 12:17 PM

looking forward to your build. HWC needs moar sff rigs imho..That v351 is a classic for water cooling. I still prefer the looks of this case over the newer v354. BTW sg07 is made for mitx not matx.

dma0991 May 26, 2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neolithium_Wpg (Post 518010)
Other than basically what I have above, the only other consideration coming to mind right now is the upcoming bulldozer Octacores, which I'm going to be very intrigued to see some folding numbers on those babies....16 threads for under $400? HELLO!

There are no 16 threads on the 8 core flagship FX-8130P from AMD. It would be 4 modules or 8 cores and there is no similar implementation of HT like Intel as AMD wants to compete with Intel's HT with real cores.

Quote:

Sandy Bridge Extreme Edition : 6 cores / 12 threads, 3.3GHz clock, 15MB L3 cache (2.5MB per core), Max. OC
Sandy Bridge E : 6 cores / 12 threads, 3.2GHz clock, 12MB L3 cache (2MB per core), Max. OC
Sandy Bridge E : 4 cores / 8 threads, 3.6GHz clock, 10MB L3 cache (2.5MB per core), Limited OC
If you could spend the money on a SB-E would be a way better choice then spending it on the current SB or Bulldozer as performance figures are still unknown and most likely SB-E will still be better.