Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 26, 2011, 12:45 PM
Allstar
F@H

I have a soft spot for some reason in making a SFF beast. Something about having someone look at some little unassuming box that can pump out WU's and gaming performance better than some friends' prebuid Acer and Dell pieces of crap ;) SB-E is something that would be nice, but it all depends on Intel - If there are some kickass mATX boards for LGA2011 I'd go for it, assuming the Sandy Bridge Hexacores aren't all extreme edition and $1,000 per proc. Still trying to hash out the watercooling right now, keeping a 570 at stock is no big deal, but a 4GHz 970 on the same small loop with a dual rad could be tricky. They do run rather cool though, I guess I'm just hoping for the best in regards to that.

The 354 is a pretty neat looking case, but I don't like the setup inside. I'd eventually like to cut the panels on the case and put some lexan over so there's a nice view of the guts - the 354's PSU would block all the sexy cramped innards more than I would like to deal with though. Either way the project should be fun. The Nehalem hexacores provide enough power, and even though they're slowly becoming dated due to Sandy Bridge, something that small that can pump out 65k PPD is just fine by me.
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old May 26, 2011, 01:36 PM
Banned
F@H

2600k right now...or...wait for dozer?

8 core with split cores should kill :) maybe good ppd,maybe very good ppd

Tags
folding@home , gaming , hexacore , sff , watercooling