Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 23, 2011, 08:18 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

thats the case you want
it has very good airflow

you can put cables in behind the motherboard tray
its very clean inside

its also currently on sale and free shipping

ya it does not have a hot swap bay...
if i need to hook a drive up temporarly...i just plug it into an extra sata on the inside
Old May 23, 2011, 08:43 PM
Rookie

alright so would this be a good cpu and motherboard? BIOSTAR H67MU3 LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

and yahh ill use that case instead
Old May 23, 2011, 09:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by millicol View Post
alright so would this be a good cpu and motherboard? BIOSTAR H67MU3 LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

and yahh ill use that case instead
Yeah those 2 cores will probably out perform the 4 cores of the 920 in all gaming situations. SB is a couple years ahead of phenom II right now so it's SB all the way.

Also you should always get some kind of video card. Integrated graphics are really bad and any card will outperform them.
Old May 24, 2011, 02:05 PM
Rookie

so all i need is a video card and it will be all good for like a few games and stuff?

how much is a video card usually for like a good one?
Old May 25, 2011, 04:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by millicol View Post
so all i need is a video card and it will be all good for like a few games and stuff?

how much is a video card usually for like a good one?
Well that depends on your definition of good. You can get one that will run most games on mid settings for like $100. Try to find a used GTX 460 768mb or an hd 5770. Also if you can't afford it now you can wait until later your integrated graphics might be okay to play on ultra low settings.
Old May 25, 2011, 11:55 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Call of Duty: Black Ops GPU & CPU Performance In-depth > CPU Performance - TechSpot Reviews

this was a review done for black ops because of "stutter" problems many ppl had.
the problem was having a dual core cpu. anyone with a tri or more cores had no stutter

i went from a dual core to quad. my fps on the dual was 50 max and min would hit 0. with the quad. my min was now 50...max was 130
i did not change my video card
(also my bf : bad company 2, went from minimum reduced resolution. to normal resolution and medium graphics, with 50% higher frame rates)

yes the i3 is a good performer, except he'll just have to spend more money again to upgrade to an i5 later

with BF3 and cod mw3 around the corner. i suspect they will want more cores too.