Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 21, 2011, 05:32 AM
Rookie

Default New Build just died

Last night I put together a my compter i7 2600k with Asus P8Z68 seemed everything was ok all the fans going and then I loaded on the OS and Utilities and while I was loading on Nortons it just died instantly. Two lights on the motherboard are lit, looks like reset and a red power on button, but, no fans, no case led lights, no activity at all. When this happened I pushed down on all four posts of the cpu fan and one of them clicked. I switched the PSU with a known good one and still the same thing. How can I tell if I fried my MB or CPU since I don't have another CPU to try. I'd hate to buy one or the other and find out that it was the other part that was broken. Thanks.
Old May 21, 2011, 06:11 AM
Top Prospect

Unplug the power supply, then take out the motherboard battery, it is a small flat circle.

like this:

Edit: I should have said, wait 30 seconds, then put it back in, plug the psu in, then see if anything works.

Last edited by NI3; May 21, 2011 at 06:23 AM.
Old May 21, 2011, 07:29 AM
Rookie

Tried that and nothing, no case led lights, no fans, no activity. Thanks for trying though.
Old May 21, 2011, 07:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile New Build

I would suggest taking it all apart and looking 4 any hints of problems.

Then when u put it back 2gether, make certain to engage your connections, as I've run into this a couple of times.
White screen problem I had was simply a ram issue. Removed them, re-installed and it was good 2 go, yet it had been working fine 4 days.
Turns out the person kept putting their feet on the case, eventually causing this.

Good luck!
Old May 21, 2011, 07:51 AM
Rookie

I'm not sure what white screen is FF? The monitor doesn't come on, no anything but two lights on the MB. I've unplugged all the connections and resetted them. I've tried it with one stick of ram. I've tried to remove the battery everything I do seems to result in the same thing just two lights on the MB lit and no case lights no PSU activity no fans, nothing. I've already eliminated the PSU I just don't know how to tell which is bad the CPU or motherboard. If I could tell which one is bad I could go and get a new one.
Old May 21, 2011, 08:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile New Build

I wasn't saying this was your problem, simply using it as an example how easy it can b 2 have things act up.

In another post, a member found 1 of his mounting posts was slightly longer, giving him problems by shorting out. That's why I mentioned a complete tear down and re-build, because you never know.

Hope you figure it out soon enough. Lots of smart people here will help u. Where r u located?

Be sure 2 let us know what the cause is once u do get it up and running.
Old May 21, 2011, 08:42 AM
Rookie

I'm in Aldershot near the botanical gardens. I'm wondering if I should just take it into Canada computers at Main and Dundurn.
Old May 21, 2011, 08:43 AM
Rookie

Would a burned out CPU stop all the fans and case lights, even the PSU from coming on?
Old May 21, 2011, 08:51 AM
Banned
F@H

a defective switch on your case,dead psu,and so on? yes.

dead cpu? probably not. take it out and try to power it on, something should beep,or spin the fans,then stop...
Old May 21, 2011, 09:06 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I am suspecting that the motherboard is at fault here. Although CPU can be damaged but damage from overheating is not very likely as a modern CPU will switch off automatically when it reaches its max temp threshold.