Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 14, 2011, 04:10 AM
Rookie

Default Home server build?

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

Virtualization, mostly a host machine that will enable me to build multiple VMs. Need to test client/server applications, deployment, etc. O/S is going to be 2008 R2 + Hyper-V.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

300 (expandable)

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

Canada

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

None

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

None

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

Yes

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

No o/c

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

Asap

9. What resolution do you use?

Headless

-----------------

I'm mostly stuck at the CPU/Mobo part hehe.

1090T for 150 or PIIX4900E for 50$? Seems like the 900E retails for ~200$.

A server needs more core and ram. Just seeing if I can build one on 4 cores and still get good enough perf.

As stated, it'll be running 2008 R2 + Hyper-V. VMs are mostly going to be 2008 with SharePoint or Team Foundation Server, a Debian server in-between. XP client + 7 Pro client (VMs also).

It won't be running 24/7 also. Up times are probably when I need to run tests on it from my main client (i7 920).

OR, convert my current i7 920 (x58 reiii formula, 12gb) and build a new dev machine based on sandy?

Thanks! :P
Old May 17, 2011, 06:42 AM
Banned

A server doesn't have to be that powerful? I would just make sure to have the four memory slots so you can always add more RAM. Get as much RAM as you can, 8GB should be fine to start with and then a cheap mobo/cpu (but most powerful for the budget) should do.

Whatever the entry level quad core is, is probably good enough if you need the power.