Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 11, 2011, 02:15 PM
Banned

Default LGA1155: cpu, mobo, ddr3

I'm just trying to figure out if it's feasible/affordable to upgrade from my LGA775 parts. I figure I can get a total of $240 so if I sell, I just need about $60 to budget $300.

I have only two preferences.

1) I would like a mobo with the right-angle SATA connectors if possible. Anything possible under $140? I found a few for $120. Any comments/opinions on them and if is there any more choices?

2) need four RAM slots - I would like memory upgrade options

I was going to go cheap on the cpu since I thought I'd wait until parts got cheaper.

So:

cpu: Intel Core i3-2100T - $130.00

mobo: Gigabyte P67X-UD3-B3 - $145

RAM: DDR3 - $90 (2 sticks of 4GB??)

I know the above is over budget but there's a similar MSI board:
MSI P67A-GD55

I'm just using those as examples. I would prefer cheaper boards but the right-angle SATA brackets/ports are good if I keep my crummy Antec 300 case.

I can drill holes if I keep the case but the angled SATA ports on the mobo will still help with cable management and I like the design. Not sure why more boards aren't manufactured like that. I guess it depends if they can design it like that?

I think it's better to sell parts separately since a complete system adds to shipping. Right? So, it's more likely I'll be selling LGA775 mobo, DDR2 RAM, CPU separately.

Anyway, all these scenarios and intangibles are making my head hurt... LOL!

I thought an outside perspective might help.

I know I could wait until June and probably will but the word on the grapevine is that it might still be preferable to have Intel SNB if you use a SSD. I would like to think I'm anticipating a SSD purchase sometime... ;)

Any thoughts (other than I'm making this post too long?!?

P.S. I'll even consider H67 boards...

I don't necessarily need to overclock. I just want the option of switching to a faster cpu later on. Also, my dedicated video card sucks so it's not like I wouldn't buy a video card later on but it might have to wait depending on what other parts I'd get.

PSU is fine, video card sucks but it can be used... case is previously mentioned if I keep it.

Maybe this gets too expensive but if I compromise on the cpu or various parts, maybe it can be included... dunno...

Should I chuck this stuff by June or in June or try to get electrocuted so I don't have to wonder anymore?
Old May 11, 2011, 05:11 PM
Banned
F@H

if i were you id go 1156 and clock it way high,easy

i3 sb is stronger at stock,but not much clocking,so clocked 1156 i3=better

or youre a month away or such from more choice,from the green side? :)
Old May 11, 2011, 06:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Do you plan on overclocking a future chip upgrade? If not, then save ~$50 by skipping the P67.
Old May 11, 2011, 08:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
Do you plan on overclocking a future chip upgrade? If not, then save ~$50 by skipping the P67.
Skip to what? Can you be more specific?

Dan, I thought 1156 was getting phased out so upgrades will be really limited. Probably more expensive, too, I'm guessing. Won't they? Same thing what happened to LGA775?

I don't need to be totally up to date w/ hardware but it's cost/budget dependent. I think I want to stay with Intel unless it's that much cheaper. Not sure what bulldozer will bring or IvyBridge but those will probably be expensive relative? Maybe SDB will go down but I probably won't be buying anything in the next two weeks. However, 'never know. I have to look at whether to sell my current hardware now or later. :)

Overclocking isn't a priority but I don't know what I should be comparing it to.

I have a crappy laptop to last me but I'd need to ensure I can get $200+ on what I have. I don't want to be w/o my desktop (whichever it is) for too long. :)

P.S. 'Was looking at P67 or H67 mobo (1155) also since my psu is only a Corsair HX520W so my strategy was to get relatively cheap mobo/cpu and can upgrade if need be to 'better' stuff later. If 1155 parts go cheaper, then I can either sell the 'old stuff' or use for a HTPC. That's why I was considering a i3-2100T cpu. This is a budget build for now. So, 'need to decide if this will stay as a budget build (permanent HTPC/all-purpose) or will be upgraded later (keep one of mobo or cpu etc.).

Or better strategies I can go with?

Last edited by Borg; May 11, 2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old May 11, 2011, 08:33 PM
Banned
F@H

for i3,1156 is still the way to go,if,and tahts a big IF,you overclock

and upgrade,yes,limited. if you know for sure youll drop an i5 or i7 in there?
then perhaps youre getting the wrong budget merry go around! i5's are like 50 or so buckers more than i3's. for an sb,thats a no brainer
for the previous gen? i told them to bugger off,and built i3 OR i7.
Old May 11, 2011, 08:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg View Post
Skip to what? Can you be more specific?
Sorry. I meant opt for H67 specifically.
Old May 12, 2011, 03:51 AM
Banned

What about this for a budget board?:
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-Z68A-D3-B3 (rev. 1.0)

It's $120. The P67 version is $110 but the Z68 is supposed to have some extra features? If I pair it first with a i3-2100T for $130 or save up $70 more for the i5-2600T for overclocking, it's not a bad setup?

This comes to $300 but RAM will put it to almost $400.

Any thoughts?

I am not sure but are the H67 boards any cheaper? I'm mostly concerned about the designs (maybe not as good) and you can't overclock if you wanted (eliminates such option).
Old May 12, 2011, 11:12 AM
Banned

If I go to cheaper boards and choose a i3-2100T cpu, with the idea of basing on DDR3 RAM thinking at least the memory can move to the next gen., is that any good for a strategy? With Ivy Bridge and Bulldozer, will it be using current (gen.) of DDR3 RAM?