Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 3, 2011, 08:06 AM
Banned

Default speculating, just curious

I was looking at a thread in which the value is discussed of a LGA 775/P35 build. If it's about $100 to $150, give or take, is it possible to take the funds and build a cheap Sandy Bridge system? I know you can do it but I was wondering whether the cost is worth it in the long run. How much can one expect to receive for these components and from where (kijiji or ebay? here?).

Or is AMD the way to go?

I'm just curious.

Is it best to keep an outdated older architecture at this time if that's what you have or upgrade? I guess there will always be some demand for people who keep older hardware and maybe one component has gone bad?

I have: P45 mobo, Q6600 and 4GB of DDR2 RAM.

I checked ebay and these components are still selling. Someone in the UK sold their similar hardware for $300 (Cdn - equivalent). I don't expect to get that.

I thought maybe $200 at least?

I looked at Sandy Bridge and an i3 2100T is $134.00 so Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 mobo is $115 and DDR3 RAM would be $80?

Math time: $330

That means I only have to come up with $100 thereabouts to have a more up-to-date system? Does this make sense? Is it doable? Am I dreaming? Should I consider doing this or hang on to my stuff? What would you do?

I'd like a lower wattage system (if SB or equivalent AMD system) as my PSU is a Corsair HX520W and I need to keep my upgraded components to a min. for affordability.

I guess I'm just speculating and curious as this is fun to do but a lot more fun when you have more money to play with, I'm sure!

I like the designs of the newer motherboards, too. It would help with my cable management and overall operation (wouldn't run as hot or with as high power consumption) so there's a few benefits to cause one to really think about it.

I appreciate anyone's input! Thanks for any feedback.
Old May 3, 2011, 08:42 AM
Banned
F@H

yup,sell now,wait for dozer or go the i3/i5 route

if you will be clocking,then 1156.
no clocking,1155.
Old May 3, 2011, 09:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
yup,sell now,wait for dozer or go the i3/i5 route

if you will be clocking,then 1156.
no clocking,1155.
Thanks for the feedback, Dan! I thought no one would reply.

Dozer? Well, since I was inquiring about a low wattage system to start with and low budget, I don't think I'd be overclocking, probably not?

Edit: Another question. What do you think of the micro motherboards?

MSI P55A-G55 P55 ATX LGA1156 DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 3PCI SLI CrossFireX SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard - DirectCanada

or

Buy ASUS [P7H55-M LX] ASUS P7H55-M LX mATX H55 DDR3 LGA1156 PCI-E16 PCI-E1 2PCI DVI VGA GBLAN Motherboard

I thought: P55 or H55 mobo: ($80*), DDR3 RAM: $80, cpu i3: $134

Still $300 so I probably need to have $100 on hand to add to my sale?

Last edited by Borg; May 3, 2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old May 3, 2011, 09:44 AM
Banned
F@H

it depends on what performance you need it at.

check this : Every Watt Counts: AMD E-350 vs. Intel Core i3-2100T - X-bit labs

but for i3's,overclocking gives you more bang for the older 1156,even though at stock its slower.
4-4.2 is very easy to get at. like anyone can do it lol.
Old May 3, 2011, 09:45 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

@ op - are you planning to use this SB based system for browsing ?
are you planning to sell the q6600 setup? why mate ?
Old May 3, 2011, 09:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

$160 - 175 would be about the most for that gear.

I only say that because i've seen Q9XXX series Quads (with the 12MB cache) go for that price with higher end boards and better RAM.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 3, 2011, 09:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Right now I would go for a SB system for bang for buck they beat out AMD's offerings, I think 200 is a little high I would say more 150ish.for your used parts though.
Another thing is if you can sell now when BD comes out you will probably see a bunch of used systems/parts in the FS section, if you are on a budget that might be the better way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old May 3, 2011, 10:03 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I am kind of in the same situation right now. I started looking to see what I can do to my five year old Dell E520 system. I started looking for a cpu, psu and video card as a start for my upgrades. For what I do I could get another three to fours out of those upgrades. Then as I did more digging, I realized I would need a whole new mobo. Since the new mobo wouldn't fit in my case, a new case would be needed. So the project just kept growing. Now I have a brand new HAF 912, and 8gb of 1600 mhz DDR3 on the way.

I am still stuck on the fence...do I go 1155 or AMD? For my current situation and budget wise the AMD makes a whole lot more sense for me. Bulldozer chips mean nothing to me really, I rarely do anything that needs more than 2 or even 4 cores.

I am seriously looking at the 1155 sandy bridge build as for me it holds more appeal. Is it more future proof with the new Intel socket(s) on their way? I am not knowledgable to tell you that.

In the end it comes down to what you want, and what you will be satisfied with. Budget wise the AMD route is much less expensive, at least the current cpus are...no idea where the bulldozers will be priced at when they arrive.

Not sure how much that helps you out.
Old May 3, 2011, 10:04 AM
Banned

I don't need high performance. I thought I'd get a low priced, low wattage/power system to start with. I would try to pick a mobo that allows the most options, though, if possible.

That's why I thought i3-2100T.

Dan, I took a quick look at that link even before you posted it. :) I was leaning towards the i3-2100T unless someone suggested reasons why to consider something else.

I was wondering if I could get $200 for the bundle because I noticed on ebay, the Q6600 going for around $100 on some completed listings. This is from UK and U.S. sellers, though. I am not sure what they are going for on here. I would ask if anyone wanted it here, though.

The same motherboards were about $80 to $100. Maybe they are able to offer low shipping, not sure. My Ram is pretty good. Not generic.

I'm not planning anything, not a plan to sell yet, just inquiring. I think I should upgrade or plan for it in the near future but I know I would need spare cash to complete the new build.
Old May 3, 2011, 10:05 AM
Banned
F@H

right now i would go amd for the new low low power solution as per the above link

intel for the rest.