Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 4, 2011, 10:58 AM
Banned

Thanks, dma. I've read a bit about bulldozer now.

I am not sure what to do. I don't need the latest and greatest and going on a budget if I bought now. Not sure what is going on in terms of budget in June.

I guess part of it depends on how much I can get for the current hardware if I try to upgrade. I also have another P35 mobo that is a spare. I could try and sell that, too, perhaps. I was going to keep one of them to replace an aging IBM NetVista that is probably overheating or something (fans start spinning really fast and you can hear it!!!). But, the P45 system is probably the best chance for getting some $$ for an upgrade.

The links I read show the cheapest bulldozer mobo being $130/$140? Is that right? Or is that just the one chipset? That's a bit expensive since I need to buy the cpu and RAM still. I'm still using DDR2 RAM so it's a brand new system regarding main components. :-/ I have hard drives, psu and the case but the other stuff would still need to be purchased.
Old May 4, 2011, 11:15 AM
MVP

My System Specs

That price might be exclusive to the 900 series chipset motherboards. Some high end AM3 boards also cost about as much as that.

There will be cheaper alternatives as motherboard manufacturers are changing some of their 800 series motherboards with AM3+ sockets. It should be slightly cheaper compared to the 900 series chipset motherboards.