Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 3, 2011, 10:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
right now i would go amd for the new low low power solution as per the above link

intel for the rest.
Which AMD? I need to research bulldozer. I am not up to speed on the newest tech. :) I just wanted an excuse to move to the newer tech. especially DDR3 RAM. :)

I have a case I can still use and was going for lower power/wattage stuff so I don't have to upgrade my PSU yet.
Old May 3, 2011, 10:44 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
it depends on what performance you need it at.

check this : Every Watt Counts: AMD E-350 vs. Intel Core i3-2100T - X-bit labs

but for i3's,overclocking gives you more bang for the older 1156,even though at stock its slower.
4-4.2 is very easy to get at. like anyone can do it lol.
that one. best bang per buck when it comes to sipping juice :

dozer,from the clocks thats supposed to be seen,should be a decent banger. now comes the price point..:)
theyll need a sub 200 dollar 4c/8t monster that can clock(bus,multi,or both) to go vs the 2500k and so on.

also,if you go sb, the lower end i5's are a little moe expensive than the i3's,but in certain apss theyll do much better

Old May 3, 2011, 10:50 AM
MVP

My System Specs

As of now there are a lot of speculations about Bulldozer. AMD kept the info pretty tight and there is yet concrete results that shows the performance of Bulldozer. The ES samples are leaked and the speeds are promising but the performance relative to SB has yet to be tested. DDR2 to DDR3 will not give you a significant boost but it is only a necessary part since most motherboards that you can find now supports DDR3.

June 7th onwards FX lineup(Bulldozer) will be shown at E3. It is only a month away and I think it is worth the wait as you have more choices by then.
Old May 3, 2011, 01:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I personally dont think BD will outperform SNB, except in one category; Built in GPU.

If this is a HTPC build or the like home computer (World of Warcraft Box, etc) I suspect BD will be the best bang for the buck as it'll save you a discreet GPU.

This is all just my opinion with out a shred of fact. Im actually hoping that BD is the next AMD thing to put Intel back a generation...but I have my doubts.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old May 3, 2011, 01:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
I personally dont think BD will outperform SNB, except in one category; Built in GPU.

If this is a HTPC build or the like home computer (World of Warcraft Box, etc) I suspect BD will be the best bang for the buck as it'll save you a discreet GPU.

This is all just my opinion with out a shred of fact. Im actually hoping that BD is the next AMD thing to put Intel back a generation...but I have my doubts.
I don't have loyalty towards either; I just want the best bang for buck but if one is better in a power efficient/temps way, I'd choose that.

I don't need a discrete gpu but I'll take it if it is not adding to the price. If it's ATI, then I have a Linux issue since it is sometimes a problem. But, I guess you can always disable the onboard gpu and they're getting more efficient?

The only thing I would guess about Intel, though, is it seems to always offer the best performance overall in comparable benchmarks. I figure if you start with a low priced system, you can upgrade to a faster cpu while others move on to the next architecture/generation. I usually don't keep up and go to the next one but I am not sure I want to be too far behind. I just think that DDR2 RAM is getting too expensive and I would like 8GB for a virtual machine but that's going to be expensive. If I go to SNB or BD, I can get the 8GB of DDR3 and a newer, more up-to-date system.
Old May 3, 2011, 01:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sounds to me like you have all your thoughts in the right place and ordered well.

I would wait to see (as mentioned previously) the prelims on BD performance vs iX v2 and make the call in June.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old May 3, 2011, 02:15 PM
Banned
F@H

or sell the lot like i had,build cheap i3's and then wait for main riggie? :)

the dozer vs sb will be a close battle..pritty close. i still expect intel to beat it in some stuff,but in gaming itll be close.
specially the multithreaded ones. ive only seen low clocked es at work,at first you think its crap but then
you look at the clocks again and go 'hmmm' :D

im still amazed that mac-chan or brother sky cant get there hands on es chippies. sure itll be a pain to find a board that'll
properly clock them,but wth :)
Old May 3, 2011, 06:53 PM
Banned

Bulldozer benchmarks (updated) won't be until the first week of June, though, right?

What will the price of my current components be then? :) Last thing I want, I think, is that I wait until June and bulldozer is great and everyone wants it so they start unloading LGA775 parts and there's so many, I can only get peanuts for my stuff? :)

OTOH, maybe I have money then so who knows.

Yeah, Dan, that was the idea... build a cheapo i3 and at least the build is up to date and running at less power and more upgradeable than a LGA 775 build. Cheaper to upgrade, at least.

But, if bulldozer is really good, maybe I am uttering profanities at myself. :)

Maybe I will see how much my current system annoys me or whether I get desperate for new stuff or get so curious to see how my stuff sells. If I can wait until June, I can see how bulldozer looks.

I like some of the new boards, the MSI, in particular (I think MSI?), has some cheap 1155 H67 boards that have the SATA connectors at right angles and I like that design. A small, unimportant thing but when I am planning a cable management improvement with my current system, that benefit/plus is already done for me. :)
Old May 3, 2011, 07:00 PM
Banned
F@H

on the cheap end go giga,asus,biostar. in no particular order. although i really like biostar's offerings
Old May 3, 2011, 08:44 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Three Bulldozer motherboards leaked
AMD Bulldozer and Llano Fusion APU's Launching in June - Legit Reviews
Quote:
On 12th June AMD's Llano APU and Sabine platform will be launched for the Asian markets. Around the same time, at the AMD Fusion Developer Summit, AMD will interact with developers to develop software that's tailor made for the Fusion architecture (x86 with increased use of serial computational loads over GPGPU). June 14 2011 is the most important date. Called the AMD 2011 Client Launch Event, this event will be the launchpad for AMD's FX-series processors and A-Series APUs. Sabine platform will launched to the rest of the world's markets.
June 14th for the launch of Bulldozer. Maybe by then you could make a better decision on which camp is better at that moment.

My speculation is that Bulldozer will be better than SB in terms of multithreaded applications but will lose out slightly when it comes to single threaded applications.