Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 2, 2011, 01:20 PM
Rookie

Default New PC build first timer

So I am building a computer for the first time for my parents. Very cheap ($300-ish) and I found the build at this website: Computer Part Selection .... I bought most or at least something similar to the hardware listed under Basic/Economical. So my question is... is there a graphics card I need to get or anything? seems like something is missing. (This computer will be used for internet browsing and Microsoft Office use only)

Thanks in advance
Old May 2, 2011, 01:30 PM
Banned
F@H

howdy

how about a dual core athlon II on a 880 mobo or a celly 3300/3400 on a g41 unit?
you wont need more than a 350 watter from sparkle,pritty cheap,to power it.
2-4 gigs of ram,its cheap.
cooler master elite case,cheap too.
gl with the build,and drop us a link where youll be buying sdo we can point them out for ya
ps welcoem aboard!
Old May 2, 2011, 04:54 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Looking at the basic/economical build on the website you linked, you don't need a discrete video card. That mobo has an integrated video, can't tell you how good it is. Although I bet it will be more than sufficient for your parents. The only thing about that particular build that I am iffy on is the Rosewill power supply, but fir what your parents are looking for it might be alright.
Old May 2, 2011, 05:53 PM
Rookie

My power supply is now: CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 CMPSU-430CX 430W ATX12V Active PFC Power Supply .. as someone told me it was better for this. I have everything put together and im wiring it now but things arent lining up so im getting frustrated. The manual for the motherboard blows and the wires for the front panel of the case aren't lining up on the motherboard like it says to. One of the power buttons is a 3 hole but it says only 2 hole. And the 24 pin power supply for the Motherboard is missing a metal slot of the 24 and one of the plastic shapes around another is all mis-shaped thanks to shipping. This isn't good =/
Old May 2, 2011, 06:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

The manual is the most accurate when it comes to wiring the front panel connectors. Unless you know what you're looking for on the motherboard itself, the manual is the best help you can get. If the connector has 3 holes but usually 2 wires will be connected to it at both end with the middle empty.

I don't understand by what you meant by metal slot. The PSU connectors are not uniform in shape and there are shapes like squares with edges trimmed off to prevent from user accidentally putting it the other way around.
Old May 2, 2011, 06:57 PM
Rookie

Basically the way the motherboard manual says is the standard. But on the case, there are 4 plugs (H.D.D LED, Power SW, Power LED, Reset SW) Power LED is a 3 slotted plug with the middle having no wire like you said. Problem is that 3 slotted one doesn't match what the motherboard goes by (seems to assume it is a 2 slotted plug rather than my 3 slotted plug). So this 3 slots, when plugged into the place the motherboard tells me, overlaps onto the Power SW slot. So I'm not sure what to do. Either I leave one plug out or? Something else.

Forget the 24 pinned thing I was talking about. Got it all figured out.
Old May 2, 2011, 07:15 PM
Banned
F@H

:)

only connect pw and rst ones. forget the others
Old May 2, 2011, 07:25 PM
Rookie

Well heres the problem, this motherboard has slots for Power LED, Power Button, HD LED, no reset button. Unless the thing saying "REST #" is it, which would leave the left pin on the "dummy" pin
Old May 2, 2011, 07:25 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I think it is more of the fault of the casing rather than the motherboard itself. Your casing's front panel connector should looks something like this. The power LED has 3 holes rather than 2.

What I have seen so far are the power LED connector is split into 1+1. The 1+1 version is more common as it fits non standard types. I have seen them on old and new cases.

You can follow what dangtx said to leave it be as it is just a LED indicator and not as important as the switches. Second option is to remove the wires from the plastic housing and using heat shrink tubing or electrical tape to insulate the individual wires and connect them directly to the motherboard.
Old May 2, 2011, 07:38 PM
Rookie

So I got it all wired with exception to the power led and it works. But... (theres always a but..) When i turn on the power, then hit the power button, it all turns on and works, but when i hit the power button again, it doesnt turn off. What does this mean? what did i do wrong?

Tags
pc build , question