Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 28, 2011, 11:30 AM
Rookie

Default How Do I Know if Parts Will Fit?

Hey,
I have a fairly new computer with an i5 processor and a 4 year old computer that is starting to slow down. I was thinking of upgrading to an i7 on my new computer and putting the i5 in my old one. I was also thinking of doing the same with my graphics card.

Is this doable? How does one know if the parts will fit and can function with the old parts?
Old April 28, 2011, 11:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilGames View Post
Hey,
I have a fairly new computer with an i5 processor and a 4 year old computer that is starting to slow down. I was thinking of upgrading to an i7 on my new computer and putting the i5 in my old one. I was also thinking of doing the same with my graphics card.

Is this doable? How does one know if the parts will fit and can function with the old parts?
What case? What GFX card?

Need to know that first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old April 28, 2011, 11:40 AM
Rookie

Card: GeForce 460

I guess that is a problem them haha! I bought it 4 years ago from a local computer store who built it for me. The case they sold me is no longer in stock on there website so I have no clue what it is. It does not even have a brand name on the case, it has their stores name and that is it.
Old April 28, 2011, 11:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilGames View Post
Card: GeForce 460

I guess that is a problem them haha! I bought it 4 years ago from a local computer store who built it for me. The case the sold me is no longer in stock on there website so I have no clue what it is. It does not even have a brand name on the case, it has there stores name and that is it.
Simple measure the card then and check it against the case. For those times when you are "Hmmm it looks like it should but it is pretty tight" I always make a quick mook up out of cardboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old April 28, 2011, 11:56 AM
Rookie

Thanks! First time doing my own handy work with the computer so it's a little scary :-p.

Any suggestions about the processors?
Old April 28, 2011, 03:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Your "old" computer will require at the very least a new motherboard (that's the same socket as your i5 CPU) and RAM (DDR3). I'd probably suggest a new power supply as well.
Old April 28, 2011, 03:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You should find out every part in the old computer. If there's still something perfectly good in there, then don't waste money buying a new one of it. Depending on your uses, the "old" computer's hard drive, optical drive, and maybe networking cards (if you got a PCI WiFi card) will be useable but not much else. The Internet is your friend in finding if stuff will fit / work. Get the model number of each part and look for the form factor / compatibility.

Some examples of what you'll want to know for stuff to fit:
Case: ATX or MicroATX? Full or half-height PCI slots?
Hard drive / optical drive: IDE or SATA?
Expansion cards: AGP, PCI or PCI-E?
Power supply: Standard ATX? Does it have a 20 or 24 pin main connector? (actually I'd post the exact model number on these forums so we can help determine if it's a good model or one of those PSUs that want to fry up your computer)

I doubt you'll have DDR3 RAM in a 4 year old computer because it was crazy expensive those days (or was it not even released yet?).

Take pictures and post them up here if you have troubles.

Last edited by frontier204; April 28, 2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old April 28, 2011, 03:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

Any case can fit anything.. how much do you want to mod ;)

Pictures would help a great deal here too.
Old April 28, 2011, 04:21 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
Simple measure the card then and check it against the case. For those times when you are "Hmmm it looks like it should but it is pretty tight" I always make a quick mook up out of cardboard
You read my mind.

Yeah you could do a mock part with cardboard to see if everything fits. I use to do that usually with graphic cards to see it fits in my case. Get the dimensions by Googling and cut out according to the PCB width and length and you have a mock sample.