Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 23, 2011, 03:24 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Leaky battery - help!

I changed a leaky alkaline battery in a remote, and then afterwards I built a new computer. The battery was crusty and white but not visibly wet. Afterwards, I read that the chemical inside alkaline batteries is potassium hydroxide, which is toxic and corrosive!

It looked a lot like this photo on Wikipedia:
File:Battery acid.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I touched my mobo, CPU, vid card, power supply, case, mouse, keyboard, monitor--i.e. everything--after handling the leaky battery. Have I seriously messed up my machine? If it is booting into Windows am I OK?

I know I should have washed my hands after handling the battery. I'm really freaked out.
Old April 23, 2011, 03:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

your flesh will burn way before your component. If you didn't lose a finger, youre component are probably fine.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old April 23, 2011, 03:37 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I presume that while you're building your rig you won't have fingers soaked with that chemical, more towards a sticky feeling to your fingers rather than wet.

I don't think that it will cause a major problem at all. Cleaning is unnecessary but if you would like to be 100% sure you could get a bottle of isopropyl alcohol and clean whichever parts that you think you might have touched.

Parts that are not part of the internal components of your rig like keyboard, mouse etc can be cleaned with a damp cloth.
Old April 23, 2011, 03:44 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0991 View Post
I presume that while you're building your rig you won't have fingers soaked with that chemical, more towards a sticky feeling to your fingers rather than wet.
Thankfully I didn't have my fingers soaking in the chemical. Actually the chemical was dried on the batteries and was sort of a white powdery flaky substance. It looked similar to dried sugar or salt.

I wiped down the keyboard and mouse (and the desk tray they were on) with a damp cloth. Would you say that's OK?

Thanks!
Old April 23, 2011, 03:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempstar View Post
Thankfully I didn't have my fingers soaking in the chemical. Actually the chemical was dried on the batteries and was sort of a white powdery flaky substance. It looked similar to dried sugar or salt.
Stick your fingers in your mouth.. if it tastes bitter then its still on your hands
Old April 23, 2011, 03:50 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

One more thing: I also touched a bunch of games in their DVD cases after handling the battery. Do you think the chemical would cause any issues with the DVDs? I mean, if I touched the cases, and then open it, touch the disc inside, would transferring the chemical residue to the DVD cause it to degrade? Am I just being too worried?
Old April 23, 2011, 04:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If the acid was dry and all pouder, the only way it can get acid again is when wet. if some of your component or DVD have some on them, just keep them dry and you're all safe ;)

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old April 23, 2011, 04:34 PM
Banned
F@H

yes,bad. powder = will go into your eyes,lungs etc.

i usually throw away the whole remote,50 bucks or whatever not worth my health
Old April 23, 2011, 05:20 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
yes,bad. powder = will go into your eyes,lungs etc.

i usually throw away the whole remote,50 bucks or whatever not worth my health
dangtx, I agree totally and I did chuck the remote. I was more concerned about cross-contamination to my PC.
Old April 23, 2011, 05:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...