Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 21, 2011, 08:59 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADay2Long View Post
.......and reading up it is suggested that every VM has a dedicated NIC ... I mean for 25$, I can probably throw in an extra card!......
Not exactly, you need 2 cards: the first NIC will be for the Host machine ( ex.: EXSi)

the second one will be for all the VM let me explain how the second one work ;
s

the ESXi will use it to create a virtual network that means it will make a virtual switch , so all the VM will be connect to this virtual switch like they will be on a real one, so each VM will have a different ip address .

So the VM do not share the same network card they share the same virtual switch (hub) and it's this virtual switch that is connected to the second nic.

it's exactly like if you will use a nic for each VM and connect them to an external switch

The only reason you will need a third NIC is if the network are not on the same subnet
Old April 21, 2011, 10:51 AM
Allstar
F@H

I see, thanks botat!

Been reading up and it seems ESXi only recognizes server grade NICs, so the Intel one won't have a problem but the integrated NIC is not recognized by ESXi (tested by another user). Will the VMs be able to use the on-board NIC?
Old April 21, 2011, 04:12 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADay2Long View Post
I see, thanks botat!

Been reading up and it seems ESXi only recognizes server grade NICs, so the Intel one won't have a problem but the integrated NIC is not recognized by ESXi (tested by another user). Will the VMs be able to use the on-board NIC?

you will not even be able to install ESXi if you don't disable it.