Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 18, 2011, 05:34 AM
Rookie

Default Game pc €2000

Hi, I would like your opinion on this new build of mine.

CPUs Socket 1155 Core™ i7-2600K (4x 3400 MHz) € 269
Corsair 750HX (750 Watt) € 139,90
=> Would the Scythe Chouriki 2 Plug-In 750W (around €107) be a better choice?
SSD Vertex 3 (120 GB) € 269
Corsair Vengeance 2x4 GB DDR3-1600 Kit CL8 (8192 MB) € 124,90
MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) € 159,90
DVD-Writer LiteOn IHAS324 (24 / 8 / 8 speed) € 25,99
Watercooling Corsair H70 € 89,90
=> Should I wait for the new watercooling of Cooler Master?
=> Or is the H60 a better buy?
2 X MSI R6970 Lightning (around €350)
Already got a Spinpoint F3 for storage.

Any suggestions for a case? I like the Haf X, but half of the window on the side looks at the drive bays :s And the rest is only cool if the case is filled up. But with this build it's only filled half

Ofcourse I want to overclock pretty hard with this build. I was wondering if I don't got bottlenecks and if the total package is well balanced.
I got my doubts about the power supply and the motherboard.. Are they strong enough? Also for a good overclock?

Thank you all!
Old April 18, 2011, 05:45 AM
MVP

Two questions come to mind:
What's your use for this rig aside from gaming?
What resolution will your display be?

As for your questions below, you are very far from having a bottleneck, even possibly overkill for your choice of CPU, and you can do much better than the MSI GD65 when it comes to overclocking due to its lower quality heat sinks compared to Asus and Asrock for example.

As for PSU, I'm not aware of the Chouriki, but the Corsair HX series is probably in the top range. If you want cheaper you will sacrifice something. If you go for Corsair TX V2 for example, you will get almost the same efficiency but you will lose on quietness due to its cheaper fans.

As for the case you can definitely go for a mid tower and save money and space. Looks are important to you it seems but what about size, noise and cooling?
Old April 18, 2011, 06:33 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Stick with the current choice of Corsair 750HX. I have never heard of this Scythe Chouriki before and most probably they are not that good considering a 750W PSU to be cheaper relative to the Corsair. Do not skimp on the PSU, it is never a good thing to stress a substandard PSU to the max.

Don't play the waiting game here. It is way easier to actually add in the H70 or any other aftermarket heatsinks earlier in the build if you could afford it. The H60 can also be a good choice as its mounting mechanism looks easier as well.

Other case options like the HAF X is the Corsair 650D or Corsair 600T which also comes in a white version with an optional side panel/mesh window.
Old April 18, 2011, 07:43 AM
Rookie

Apart from gaming I'm using it for just multi-tasking, adobe programs, etc.. normal stuff actually.

The resolution would be 1920x1080.

A very important thing is silence.. Would the Noctua D14 be a better choice than the h70? Cause i've just heard one in a store and it's freakin loud :o Even for a water cooling..

What motherboard should you suggest than ?
Old April 18, 2011, 08:01 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

just buy core i3 2100 cpu now and get a quad core ivy bridge after some months.new B3 mobo's are compatible with ivy bridge.
Old April 18, 2011, 08:11 AM
Rookie

lol no, going for the 2500k since I'm never going to use hyperthreading..
Old April 18, 2011, 08:24 AM
MVP

For that resolution I would downgrade the video card to MSI TFIII HD 6950 2GB CF. HD6970 makes more sense if money was not a factor and your display was a higher resolution but 6950 CF is probably hitting the roof and beyond with your display.
Keep your eyes peeled for the soon to be released HIS IceQ Turbo HD 6950 2GB as well. ;)

Other place to cut back would be the CPU. i5 2500K all the way.

These should free up some money to get other quality components.

For motherboard, Asus Sabertooth P67 and sleep well knowing you got the best. Second and cheaper choice would be Asrock Extreme4, really great value and quality components.

If silence is the priority then you can even do better with the Seasonic X Series 850 PSU, best in class, for a little bit more than the Corsair HX.

As for coolers, if you are planning to overclock between 4.5~4.9ghz then aircooling with NHD14 is really good and as audible as a car A/C on low. If you won't exceed 4.5mhz then the even quieter NHC14 is a great option. Be careful that your vengeance (top class RAM along with the Kingston btw) may block your CPU cooler. Try before you buy.

There are many here that watercool and I'm sure they can help you better than I. Personally I think sandy bridge performs great and dosen't need that much overclocking, nor does it generate that much heat to justify watercooling as previous CPUs did.

Silent cases on the cheap and going higher: Fractal Design R3<Corsair Graphite 600< Silverstone RV02. And wait for the soon to be released Raven RV03, cheaper plastic metal but might be as good as RV02.

Great luck on your build and sorry to say, the prices where you are are as bad as where I am.
Old April 18, 2011, 08:56 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
lol no, going for the 2500k since I'm never going to use hyperthreading..
2500k cpu is also a superb choice .
but you can expect 20% increase in performance with ivy bridge cpu's ,also less heat and low power consumption.
also check gtx 560 reviews ..I always recommend nvidia gpu in all forums .because of its superb performance and very very stable drivers .
Old April 18, 2011, 09:29 AM
MVP

My System Specs

You could replace the stock Corsair fans with the Noctua fans as they are quieter. You can choose between the Noctua NH-D14 or the Corsair H70 but I say it depends on your current situation. If your rig is a static one and you are not moving it from place to place, get the Noctua but if you are moving it around constantly, you wouldn't want a heavy cooler hanging to your motherboard. The MSI that you chose is good enough for this build.
Old April 18, 2011, 11:49 AM
Rookie

Is the noctua D14 better than the Scythe Mugen 2?
I'm not going over 4,5Ghz i think..