Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 16, 2011, 01:09 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Sand and other particles - should I be worried?

Hi, new member here. I am about to start building my new PC, and I have a seemingly strange question:

I noticed that there is some sand on my floor (not piles of it, just a bit that got tracked in from outside). There may also be some crumbs from food, etc. on the floor. I was sitting on the floor, and so I may have gotten some sand on my clothes. I am going to wash my hands and change my clothes before starting to build my PC, to make sure I didn't transfer any sand or other particles into my PC. Here are my questions:

- What if I miss cleaning off some sand/particles, and I end up with some in my PC (e.g. sand falls from part of my arms that I didn't wash properly, for instance)? Will this cause problems?
- Is changing clothes before building the PC even necessary, or would you say that is excessive? Am I being overly cautious?

Thanks in advance.
Old April 16, 2011, 01:17 PM
Top Prospect

You don't anything in your case that will create a short (conductive), or clog everything and block fans/overheat stuff. A few grains of sand is likely fine. You don't need to change your clothes before building the PC, but one thing you can do is ground yourself by touching the metal parts of your case/surroundings.

Use some compressed air to clean the sand out if you get any in your case
Old April 16, 2011, 01:20 PM
Banned
F@H

you could pour a glass of sand on the bottom of your case, as long as its not sucked in a fan or something itll be fine.
best thing to do you like go in shorts and tshirt, so theres no shirt flapping around when you build it, wash your hands,dry them and
dont walk on the arpet,ground yourself properly(touch metal that goes to ground)
Old April 16, 2011, 01:22 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I have an ESD strap for grounding, but I am more concerned about how clean I need to be when working on the PC.

Just to be extra sure, I am probably going to change my clothes, but who knows, maybe there is some dirt on my new clothes, or from the clothes dryer or something. Would that cause any issues, or am I just being paranoid?
Old April 16, 2011, 01:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempstar View Post
Hi, new member here. I am about to start building my new PC, and I have a seemingly strange question:

I noticed that there is some sand on my floor (not piles of it, just a bit that got tracked in from outside). There may also be some crumbs from food, etc. on the floor. I was sitting on the floor, and so I may have gotten some sand on my clothes. I am going to wash my hands and change my clothes before starting to build my PC, to make sure I didn't transfer any sand or other particles into my PC. Here are my questions:

- What if I miss cleaning off some sand/particles, and I end up with some in my PC (e.g. sand falls from part of my arms that I didn't wash properly, for instance)? Will this cause problems?
- Is changing clothes before building the PC even necessary, or would you say that is excessive? Am I being overly cautious?

Thanks in advance.
Take your shoes off when you come in the door and buy a vacume cleaner. Then,use the vacume daily!
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old April 16, 2011, 01:41 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Tempstar I think you have yourself worked into a tizzy after seeing to many tv clips of men in white suits and excessive clean rooms.
sweaty hands will probably do more damage than anything that can fall out of your freshly changed clothes.
also anything that does fall out is most likely going to fall to the bottom of the case when you stand it up.
Old April 16, 2011, 01:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If there's enough dirt/sand to do damage to any computer component, I'd be FAR more worried about your personal hygiene and health.
Old April 16, 2011, 02:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I'd say just vacuum the area where you plan to build your PC before starting. Then it should be fine. If you're working on the floor (I'd really suggest using a table), I'd put a towel down on the floor as to not scratch the floor or case.
Old April 16, 2011, 02:33 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

When in Doubt.........Build NAKED
Old April 16, 2011, 05:28 PM
NCIX System Builder

My System Specs

you all sound very scared of shorting out your computer, i assemble about 6-12 systems a weekday and I have yet to short anything out, I build systems in a hoodie, jeans, sneakers and a cardboard wrapped workbench, parts arent as sensitive as they used to be, they can withstand a small static shock from your finger and it'll still be fine, but don't expect it to withstand a tesla coil shock!

A few tips are, like the above posters say,

shock yourself on the case first if you are electrically charged (use the back of your hand or elbow if you dont want that tingly feeling that you get when you're shocked)

Don't wear sweatpants (theres a reason why I wear jeans, theyre not so conductive)

Dont build your computer on carpet, preferably wood or granite.

And most of all, don't freak out when you build, accidents happen when you do!