Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 18, 2011, 09:01 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Ok, so general consensus seems to be that a bit of sand in the PC won't hurt anything. What about food particles falling off my clothes and into the PC during the build? Like for instance crumbs from whatever I ate for lunch: a piece of bread, or a muffin or something?

Am I just being too worried about nothing?
Old April 18, 2011, 09:43 PM
MVP

My System Specs

You could just not eat before building your rig or eat and wear a new pair of clothes before you start building. Then again you're just worrying too much about it, no problems will happen really from dry food crumbs. Maybe the ants might invade your PC but just do a through clean and inspection for dust or food crumbs before closing your side panel. If all else fails, you can rely on the Intel clean suit.

Old April 19, 2011, 02:45 AM
MVP

My System Specs

take a look at some computer pictures that have been posted on here, with 2inches of dust and spider webs on the inside...now unless that amount of crud is on your carpet or on you, nothing to worry about, use your static wrist strap and build away...the more u worry the more trouble your going to have, and at this rate the first time your pc doesnt post you will have a magnifying glass searching for sub-atomic dust particles....:P
Old April 19, 2011, 04:12 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0991 View Post
Carpeted dining table? Now that's something that I have not heard of . I am not too sure but if I am not mistaken synthetic based carpets are not prone to static electricity as it is the natural materials like wool that causes a lot of static electricity.

If all else fails I think you can wear a pair of surgical glove while assembling your PC. That way you isolate the static electricity to yourself from the electronic components with an insulator. There is also anti static glove which is like synthetic nylon-ish cloth but it is rare and I have not seen a pair outside of a factory but I have worn a pair before.
I mean the room. Yes I will try gloves+static strap, thanks and sorry for hijacking.
Old April 19, 2011, 05:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Unless Murphy of Murphy's law absolutely LOVES you, you only have to worry about particles if they're CONDUCTIVE. (e.g. if you're covered in fine metal particles because you were using an angle grinder / saw / etc)

Food generally isn't conductive unless it's wet, and if that's the case it will usually stick on your clothes rather than the case. Yesterday I finished putting together my gaming PC right after dinner and it's fine. As others have posted, invest in an air dusting can, example: Costco - Dust-Off Compressed Gas Duster

Then if you suspect anything fell into your case, just blast it a couple times and you'll be OK. ...unless the foreign object is so big the duster can't get rid of it, like the time I had a stapler inside my computer for 2 months...
Old April 19, 2011, 01:51 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempstar View Post
Ok, so general consensus seems to be that a bit of sand in the PC won't hurt anything. What about food particles falling off my clothes and into the PC during the build? Like for instance crumbs from whatever I ate for lunch: a piece of bread, or a muffin or something?

Am I just being too worried about nothing?
try to buy a case which has no fan slots on top and avoid eating during the build.

are you planning to build a gaming rig?
are you planning to use this rig for 24/7 ?
your budget ?
pc configuration ?
Old April 20, 2011, 10:40 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Do not under any circumstances bring glass around that build when there are sand particles present.

The sand particles will feel like underachievers