Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 16, 2011, 06:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

When its built. Have it on your desk if you can.

More dust lower doun. near the floor.
Old April 16, 2011, 11:43 PM
MVP

My System Specs

http://www.tomshardware.com/pictures...er-supply.html

As long as your casing interior does not look anything like this you're still good . Just ground yourself to the casing will be adequate. I do use a paint brush to clean the interior of my casing regularly to avoid having dust that are caked and won't come off easily.
Old April 17, 2011, 01:49 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

keep the hardware parts inside in a box,wear a sleeveless shirt,wash your hands,keep the cabinet on the table/desk,take mobo fix cpu and ram ,fix it in cabinet,then fix psu ,then graphics unit,then HDD ...at last check all connection ...
Old April 17, 2011, 07:23 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
dont walk on the carpet
...not to hijack the thread, but what if all I have is carpet? I've built systems before here but I'm getting progressively more worried.
Old April 17, 2011, 07:42 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyzac View Post
...not to hijack the thread, but what if all I have is carpet? I've built systems before here but I'm getting progressively more worried.
Don't move around all that much on the carpet, and if you do need to move around, make sure you ground yourself to the case after each trip to the fridge.... ;)

It's all about ensuring that your body (and thus anything you are holding) is at the same potential (charge level/polarity) as the case.

It's not something I'd beat myself up over these days, but if a person is concerned, an anti-static strap wouldn't be a bad idea if building on carpet. One of the other things to avoid is removing pieces of clothing without actively grounding yourself afterwards. Removing clothing can create a lot of static buildup.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 17, 2011, 10:45 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Impossible I say! Your kitchen mustn't be carpet? Assuming your kitchen is of adequate size, the counter can be fairly ideal building place ;) Typically a good working height when standing.
Old April 18, 2011, 12:22 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Impossible I say! Your kitchen mustn't be carpet? Assuming your kitchen is of adequate size, the counter can be fairly ideal building place ;) Typically a good working height when standing.
No but there's not enough free counter space to fit even a microATX tower. I build on my dining room table, which is carpeted.
Old April 18, 2011, 12:48 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
No but there's not enough free counter space to fit even a microATX tower. I build on my dining room table, which is carpeted.
Carpeted dining table? Now that's something that I have not heard of . I am not too sure but if I am not mistaken synthetic based carpets are not prone to static electricity as it is the natural materials like wool that causes a lot of static electricity.

If all else fails I think you can wear a pair of surgical glove while assembling your PC. That way you isolate the static electricity to yourself from the electronic components with an insulator. There is also anti static glove which is like synthetic nylon-ish cloth but it is rare and I have not seen a pair outside of a factory but I have worn a pair before.
Old April 18, 2011, 01:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My biggest fear is spilling my wobbly pop all over my build!
Old April 18, 2011, 02:25 PM
Banned
F@H

any carpet will make you zap things.

especially synthetic. i got no carpet in me building room. nada.