Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 13, 2011, 09:13 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Best GPU for my needs in new desktop

Hi everyone,

I'm in the midst of setting up my desktop which will be used for work and play. For now, I have the casing, PSU, HDD and monitor settled with only the CPU and GPU left undecided.

CPU wise, I'm waiting for Bulldozer to be released first as the programs that I use in my work appear to be hyper-threaded plus I will also be using Photoshop CS5 which I heard 'loves' multi-core CPUs.

GPU wise....GTX 580, GTX 570 and AMD 6970 which GPU to get??? My main work programs are not GPU intensive as it involves calculations but I think Adobe Photoshop and especially games require a good GPU yes?

I would like to game at high settings (not sure about AA requirements though), 1920 X 1080 resolution and on a 23" monitor (Dell ST2320L).

My 1st choice is the GTX 580. Is this an overkill?

Will a GTX 570 or AMD 6970 be more than enough for my needs?

Which one to get if between GTX 570 and AMD 6970
Old April 13, 2011, 09:54 PM
Banned
F@H

bang per buck, 6950 and gtx560. the 580 is king, but costlier.

you may want to actually go with the 560 though,since photoshop should make use of it as well.

570/6970 not that great bang per buck either...maybe get the 6950 and try to unlock? if you want to leave

photoshop on the cpu only.
Old April 13, 2011, 10:23 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I agree that you should choose between a HD6950 or a GTX560 Ti. If you are not playing a lot of games with this rig and more of a working type rig then get either of these 2 choices would suit you well enough.
Old April 14, 2011, 04:45 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

On max settings, with 8+ AA, a GTX 560 will probably stutter (default comment = on GPU intensive games) For photoshop and all the other applications you want to run, a 560 is more than enough.
It basically depends on how important going from 4 to 16x aliasing settings are for you.

The 560 is a good card, and great for gaming at your resolution. It is a good "bang for your buck" card at this time, I wouldn't regret buying one for a gaming system as it can run the newest game with good graphics.
If you're an AMD fan, the 6950 is the close equivalent. If you choose to offload your renders on your video card, you will want to stay with Nvidia cards, as they give a higher performance per $$ than AMD cards currently.

You may want to look at the i7 2600k CPU if you want something sooner, rather than later. In the past, AMD has hyped the crap out of their CPUs, then barely delivered (see: 1090T) The 2600k has 4 core, 8 threads and can perform near the monster 990x $1100 6 core, 12 thread king.
If you're doing mostly rendering work, you could also look at the 6-core Xeon lineup (5645's) which run in the $500 range and fit in most midrange x58 motherboards (and use standard ram)

Lots of options.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old April 14, 2011, 08:41 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Also if you feel the need to dabble in a little overclockery, the Sandy Bridge processor go like nobody's business!

I'd go with the 560. Cost/performance or bang/buck, you just can't beat it. I'm tempted to grab one for my wife's system myself.
Old April 14, 2011, 09:42 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Hmm...

Thanks for all your comments guys. I've done some serious thinking over the day and I think I would use a Nvidia GPU instead. So for now, it's GTX 570 or GTX 580 as I've read on Tom's Hardware that Adobe CS5 have suites that can benefit greatly from CUDA...

Are Palit cards worth buying? They cost less than other brands here in Singapore but they come with a measly 2 years of warranty...so if the card spoils in the 3rd year, it's a too bad situation for me.....
Old April 14, 2011, 10:53 AM
MVP

My System Specs

As for Photoshop it makes not much difference having a GTX570 or GTX580. If you're talking about video rendering softwares from Adobe then it would make a difference. For Photoshop it would be better to have a better CPU and RAM rather than a less powerful CPU and a powerful GPU.

I suggest going for Core i5 2500 + 8GB RAM + GTX560 Ti for your needs as I mentioned that you don't really need a very powerful GPU for Photoshop.
Old April 14, 2011, 11:04 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Hi DMA

Thank you for your advice. I'm leaving my CPU options open for now as I want to wait for AMD's Bulldozer before I commit to a CPU.

Anyway, since we're on the topic of CPUs and Adobe Photoshop, does Adobe Photoshop benefit from a Core i7? I've budgeted for a Core i7 CPU since Adobe Photoshop and my other main work program Flowjo appear to be optimized for hyper-threading...
Old April 14, 2011, 11:18 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanlyf_2011 View Post
Hi DMA

Thank you for your advice. I'm leaving my CPU options open for now as I want to wait for AMD's Bulldozer before I commit to a CPU.

Anyway, since we're on the topic of CPUs and Adobe Photoshop, does Adobe Photoshop benefit from a Core i7? I've budgeted for a Core i7 CPU since Adobe Photoshop and my other main work program Flowjo appear to be optimized for hyper-threading...
Good idea as by the time Bulldozer comes out you have a better spread of choices. By then as well the price of a SB rig should be cheaper as well as Intel might reduce the price to compete with Bulldozer.

Hyper threading is only a name given by Intel to a method called multi threading. If the programs that you run are multithreaded and are able to utilize more threads then getting a Core i7 will be better than a Core i5. However a virtual thread has yet to replace physical cores in terms of performance and since a single core is a single thread, you can theoretically get better performance from 8 cores/8 threads rather than 4 cores/8 threads.
Old April 14, 2011, 11:26 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

If you're worried about warranty, you could check out EVGA. I -think- they've extended their lifetime warranty to outside of North America but you'll need to check to be sure.