Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 10, 2011, 12:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

All I have ever seem is the stuff on paper the numbers look good but it is like having a huge SSD drive sure you boot allot faster but for practical applications and even most gaming there doesn't seem to be that much of a greater improvement . mind you I have the most powerful intel processors I owned anything but a e8400 and a q6600 I notice that in some applications and games that those processors seemed to not perform as well as my 955 be with every else the same ( of course except for the mb lol) .
Old April 10, 2011, 01:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

There is very minor improvement with Intel CPUs in real-world benchmarks at stressful resolutions. It does also depend on the game played too. Usually the best performance per dollar is AMD and Intel takes the high-end performance crown. But we all know Dan is an Intel fanboy :P
Old April 10, 2011, 03:02 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
There is very minor improvement with Intel CPUs in real-world benchmarks at stressful resolutions. It does also depend on the game played too. Usually the best performance per dollar is AMD and Intel takes the high-end performance crown. But we all know Dan is an Intel fanboy :P
actually an amd fan :p

but intel does take the top spot,so i build with them...

ati fan as well, but they dont fold as well as the nv ones so i use them less:)

either way, top right now is intel, bang per watt etc.

when dozer hits,well,itll be something else :p
Old April 10, 2011, 04:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
in short, yes, any quad core will feed a 6970 fine.
True maybe for the current generation and on games that aren't heavy RTS... AMD's first generation of quads (Phenom 9XXX line) could bottleneck a 6970 - I remember gaming with a Phenom 9500 (2.2 GHz) and it was slower on poorly-optimized games than an Intel Core2 DUO at the same clock speed.

That said, AMD improved a lot going to the Phenom II line, so you should be fine with a Phenom II 955 unless you play the original Supreme Commander with too many AIs. That game slowed down my OC'd Intel 2500K before I RMA'd my P67-B2 board