Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 8, 2011, 08:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Consider Windows Home server, it's the cheapest easiest way of doing this, just a bit hard on HD space.
I'll beg to differ.. The cheapest and easiest way of doing it is with FreeNAS.

I setup a 3TB NAS with the software and the ONLY issue I ran into was because I was using a shitty onboard network card.
Old April 8, 2011, 09:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry, I didn't mean to say cheapest. Of course a free linux based software is going to be cheaper.

However I still think it's the easiest.

For a person that doesn't know RAID or anything like that then WHS is just simple
Old April 8, 2011, 10:34 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
For a person that doesn't know RAID or anything like that then WHS is just simple
+1 , and if the motherboard fail the OP can always install his drives in a PC to retrieve the info.
Old April 8, 2011, 12:56 PM
Allstar

I use atom boards for a lot of home projects, something like a Zotac with 5 or 6 sata ports and your laughing down the road for expansion. IF your unsure of RAID and looking to replace a 2TB setup, just RAID 1 them and it does not matter what controller you put them on if the NAS ever fails. RAID 5 or 6 and you should have an external drive backing up your important stuff... RAID should not be used as THE backup, its only good as a fast fix for a failed drive or speed. Its very possible to have a RAID array fail, especially as we move to larger and larger drives.
Old April 8, 2011, 01:06 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
+1 , and if the motherboard fail the OP can always install his drives in a PC to retrieve the info.
I like this idea as well. My main thing is always being able to get my data and have a bit of fault tolerance in case a drive were to fail, especially when 2TB drives are so cheap, but when one fails, it can mean massive amounts of data. Which WHS is sounding more and more appealing.