Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 6, 2011, 09:17 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Gaming PC - Need your opinion

Hi everyone. First post here ^^.

I would like to have your opinion on my next PC build I'm aiming to have by June. Of course I continually update it with new releases that catches my attention.

Here what I would like to focus your review on :
  • Case : Please guide me betwen CM Sniper, HAF X, HAF 932 Advanced. I perfectly know that one is mid-tower. I really like the Sniper but I am worried that the 590 will heat that thing up like a little oven.
  • Memory : I like the Vengence a lot but I've been told HyperX are as good. HyperX would be easier to find for me too.
  • GPU : I like the 590's spec being so high above 570 and 580. My other idea would have been SLI 570 but I don't want to have more noise and heat.
  • SSD : I want to keep Intel but can't choose between X25-M and 510 series.
Please note that I am not willing to OC but I want to maximize components performance and life. Also, I don't need THAT much SSD space since I have a 1Tb NAS for storage. SSD will only be used for games and OS. So here is what I am aiming for right now.

Case : CM Sniper
PSU : Antec TruePower New 750W
Mobo : ASUS P8P67 - ATX - Intel P67(B3) Express Chipset
Memory : 2x CORSAIR CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 - DDR3-1600 - 2 x 4GB - Vengeance - 8-8-8-24
CPU : INTEL Core i7 2600 / 3.40GHz / LGA1155 / 8MB Cache
GPU : ASUS GeForce ENGTX590/3DIS/3GD5 - 3GB GDDR5 - PCIe 2.0 x16 - 1xMini-HDMI/3xDVI
SSD : 510 Series 120GB / 2.5" / SATA 6Gb/s / Sustained Read: 400Mb/s / Sustained Write: 210Mb/s
Optical drive : LG CH12LS280 - 12X Blu-Ray BD-Rom - SATA - Retail

Total : ~2500$ <-- My budget +/- 250$

Monitor : (Not in total and don,t count in budget) Will probably use a single 23inch LED LG or something similar.

Thank you.

Last edited by Mayoo; April 8, 2011 at 04:41 AM.
Old April 6, 2011, 10:27 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Case is really a personal preference and I would suggest going for whichever design that you like. As long as there are enough fans to create airflow your case would not be a hotbox.

I would rather get a GTX570 SLi rather than a GTX590. Not only it outperforms the GTX590 but it could OC better as the heat is distributed to 2 separate cards instead of a single card. If you intend to get the GTX570 SLi then you could get the Asus P8P67 Pro.

About the noise I am not too sure but the comparison of the HD6970 CF was quiter compared to a HD6990 so I would assume that GTX570 SLi can be quieter than a GTX590 but I could be wrong about this. I would go for the Intel 510 instead.
Old April 6, 2011, 10:39 AM
Banned
F@H

the extra threads will probably go to waste if all you do is gaming, and perhaps throw a nice hr-02 on the cpu to cool it.

i would get a pair of 6950 2gb's
Old April 6, 2011, 11:06 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Q1: If I go with 570 SLI + P8P670-Pro, will I need to upgrade PSU ?
Q2: Am I right when assuming that CM V6 and CM V8 are only eye candy vs the HR-02 ?

Thanks again !
Old April 6, 2011, 11:43 AM
Banned
F@H

to have headroom? yes
yes. hr-02 is a monster,best in class.you can put a very low rpm fan on it if you want, but its meant to work fanless.
Old April 6, 2011, 12:17 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Ok, so that's done.

I'll go with 850W PSU, 570 SLI and P8P67 Pro.
HR-02, I need to think about it. It seems quite heavy for the mobo to support. Plus it's price is not in my range for a passive cooler. I have to admit it seems quite effective though.

Anyone can help me out with the memory and SSD?

Thanks.
Old April 6, 2011, 12:49 PM
Banned
F@H

any seasonic built for the psu will do fine.

for memory, take your pick of gskill flavour with shortest heat spreaders just in case you go for a manly
cooler later on when you make up your mind :)

and for ssd, ill let the experts talk.
Old April 6, 2011, 12:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile New Build

I had the V6GT briefly. It was waay too loud 4 me. While the look may have caught your eye, remember that the HAF X has hot swappable sata 3 bays in the front as well as usb 3 on top.

For me, I like speed and convenience without excessive noise or heat. If you're not going to oc, then if you find the case is warmer than you like, either add more fans or higher cfm fans.

Keep in mind the sound from some fans sounds like a jet fighter, while others are impressively quiet.

The fact that the HAF X is on wheels helps, but isn't a selling feature 4 me, but a gpu fan shroud is. It kept a 480 cool to the touch after an hr of prime 95. High cfm fan.

I'm not that familiar with Antec psus, but would recommend a Corsair modular or possibly silverstone. There are others that don't come to mind at the moment. Guys?

While some people like to keep their psus closer to the required power needed, I like erring on the side of more for any possible tweaks or upgrades.

A good psu will last several builds if well made and not overworked.

I like Mushkin memory. The corsair is a good lifetime warranty brand but I find it a bit pricey. G Skills seem 2 b popular among the members, so look at those. Any of the lifetime warranty ram is ok. Patriot, Mushkin, Corsair, are but a few.

It looks like a solid build that will handle just about anything you throw at it, and it'll b pretty fast, which is what I like.

The SSD, you could go Vertex II, 4 a bit less, with outstanding performance. A backup HDD in the unit would still b recommended, WD Black 1 tb or Samsung F3. Very fast.

Remember that 2 make use of your sata 3 components, you'll want components capable of supporting it.

I'm certain to receive the wrath of some more knowledgeable members over some of these comments, but hey, that's what a forum does.

Good luck with the build and resulting system, whatever u choose!!! FISH
Old April 6, 2011, 08:57 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

for your CPU cooler go with the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ it has the best price to cooling ratio.

you can pick one up for about 30 bucks

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler Review
Old April 7, 2011, 09:18 PM
Rookie

What kind of display(s) were you thinking of using?

I got a HAF X. It's not the nicest looking case, but it offers lots of space to work with and is also good with air cooling.