Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old April 5, 2011, 07:51 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3
Question $200 Upgrade Challenge!

Heya, I finally have $200 to spare on getting a slight system upgrade (possibly depending given answers). Was thinking of getting a SSD off Canada computers or maybe a new mobo that has PCI 2.0 (Given my wife bought me a 6890).

Here is my current specs:
P5N32-E 680i board meaning PCI Express 1.0 :P
7200.11 rpm Sata Seagate 1TB
e6600 Processor
4GB Ram Gold OCZ
Vid DAAMIT 6890

What to upgrade best bang for the buck?
I have a good monitor speaker all other specs...
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old April 5, 2011, 07:55 AM
Blu's Avatar
Blu Blu is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Grande Prairie, Alberta
Posts: 394

My System Specs

Default

I would go with a new motherboard to get the most out of your new card, but an ssd would be a upgrade to consider as well myself I would go with the new motherboard first, try not to spend all 200 and save for an ssd :)
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old April 5, 2011, 08:01 AM
maverick_brent's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 468

My System Specs

Default

used cpu and mobo??
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old April 5, 2011, 08:11 AM
MVP
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 399

My System Specs

Default

I would choose a SSD over a motherboard change as upgrading a LGA775 motherboard to a better LGA775 motherboard is pointless. If you buy a SSD you could enjoy the performance boost now and when you decide to upgrade to Bulldozer/Ivy Bridge/Haswell for example, you could still use that SSD on that new rig and have the speed gain that you would come to expect of a SSD.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old April 5, 2011, 08:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Markham
Posts: 1,569

My System Specs

Default

His motherboard won't support TRIM, so he'd have to find an SSD with very good ITGC.
I'd just forget about the upgrade altogether and save up for a platform change.
What's the 6890 BTW? 6790? 4890? 6870?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old April 5, 2011, 08:22 AM
francisw19's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Alberta
Posts: 246
Default

Agreed with the guys above on the motherboard...don't bother with a new board unless you plan to replace your CPU and RAM as well. It's just not worth buying into a new 775 motherboard at this point.

As long as your PCIe 1.0 slot is 16x, you're not going to be holding back your card too bad (it would be about on par with PCIe 2.0 8x). So, I'd say keep what you got.

The SSD would be a good investment, IMO. It would be a huge improvement over your 7200.11 disk. You can keep your old hard drive and use it for documents or other large files. However, I would wait just a little bit longer...from what I understand, it looks like there are some new SSDs out or coming out soon (Vertex3 for example). So, there should be some adjustments in the prices of the stuff currently out. Just something to watch for...I know it sucks to buy something only to have the price drop a few weeks later.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old April 5, 2011, 09:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fort St. John, BC
Posts: 1,222

My System Specs

Default

Save that money towards a better upgrade in the future.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old April 5, 2011, 10:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,579
Default

..what the hell is a 6890?

you need a new platform. you're going to choke on a dual core soon enough. don't bother with an ssd if this is a gaming rig, an ssd would be your last purchase.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old April 5, 2011, 11:10 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3
Default

Yeah, sorry my fault hit the 9 instead of the 7 :P

Anywho it is the Radeon 6870

Also yes it is a gaming rig (or was back in the day) right now I mainly play BFBC2

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm thinking that yeah, it may be just worth the wait... The question being is how long to wait given I don't get to spend a lot all that often (wife). But I'm not complaining!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old April 5, 2011, 12:33 PM
Eldonko's Avatar
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,445
Default

you should eb able to upgrade that mobo to pcie 2.0 for $50 or less. Check classifieds or ebay, 775 is dirt cheap. You can probably get a 775 board and a quad for $200 if you look around.
__________________
Donkeys kill more people annually than plane crashes or shark attacks.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Challenge fearm3now New Builds 6 May 3, 2010 08:51 PM
GIGABYTE and Futuremark Host P55 OverclocKing Challenge and 10K Challenge Gav Press Releases & Tech News 1 November 13, 2009 02:31 PM
A 200$ upgrade Dar_ell New Builds 19 August 6, 2009 08:29 PM
Bang4Buck Challenge ev0styLe New Builds 10 January 18, 2009 06:23 PM
Challenge CactusJoe New Builds 11 December 2, 2008 06:43 PM