Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 4, 2011, 10:31 PM
Rookie

Talking New Build From Scratch

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. word processing... (jking) mostly gaming, maybe video editing and graphic design later in the future.

2. What YOUR budget is. $1800-$2000

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from. buying from? idk. im in USA so yea...

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. know nothing about ati or amd. always dealt with intel and nvidia. (didn't start learning about computers till bout 2 years ago.)

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are. Ive got nothing. i mean nothing. not even ne peripherals.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads. yes i have. lotta build out there but i still cant seem to answer the questions i have bout mine. This build has been revised so many times. its basic form was the worst piece of crap ever. i might as well have set my money on fire instead of buying that rig.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds. ill over clock to eliminate bottlenecks. don't know much about OCing. maybe ocing to keep the system more future proof.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it? no time limit. but end of summer would be best. i would like to get the computer in its most basic form asap. like using my external backup drive for now b4 adding internal automated backups. or only one ssd instead of two in raid 0. or one gpu instead of sli or crossfire. then slowly add on as i get monies.

9. What resolution do you use? no monitor. lulz

Ok so here is the deal. im build a computer from scratch. i want it as future proof as possible. The basic things im looking for is silence, power, SPEED, and great airflow. Ill sacrifice looks for performance. such as silence for the horrible noctua colored fans, or red mobo in green case. performance beats out everything except price. Im on a limited budget but if it is worth it ill add to my budget to get it. the over all budget is about $2,000 dollars now. but im not against spending more. I, as many other people, want to get the most for my money. This is my first build ive ever done. again, I am building completely from scratch. no montior, keyboard, speakers, or mouse. Ill choose the periphs myself. I want a fast bootup, i dont want to be waiting to load into zones, and start up applications. I want to be able to run everything to the point where i see no lag upper end graphics enabled. They don't have to be maxed but im tired of playing at low fps with medium graphics. i wanna see the game the way it was meant to be played. ill put the parts ive picked out. and a description under of what i feel like going with a specific part. then somone tell me if my part i picked fits what im looking for. just looking for opinion but if you could explain the places where i don't know that would be great. Fill in my space for these pieces of knowledge. or at least direct me to the answers.

Mobo:
ASRock Fatal1ty P67 PROFESSIONAL (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Need a board with 1155 socket for sandybridge. I don't think im enuf of an enthusiast to wait and pay for lga 2011. i can always oc the cpu to get rid of any cpu bottle neck. ive heard of getting a good 4.8-5 ghz on the cpu. and enuf sata 6 to give me raid 0 ssds and 2 storage and backup drives.

CPU:
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K

pretty basic. ive always dealt with intel and i know their system pretty well. i know nothing of amd or ati for that matter.

PSU:
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSA00-80GAD3-US 1000W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
1000W (correction: Mostly modular!!!?? false advert.)

i know nothing about power supplies except that i want silence, enuf power to run graphics w/o frying the computer, and AS MODULAR as i can get it. why isnt everything modular? greatest invention in PSU history.(maybe there is some exaggeration there)

RAM:
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop

This will be plently for now, and i can get more if need be, cause its 2x4 on a mobo with 4 slots. don't need like 24gb of ram here.

SSD:
Size,read,write,rand 4KB write
Intel 510 120GB 450, 210, ~8k IOPs
Corsair Performance 3 128GB 410, 210, ?
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB 550, 525, ~60k IOPs
Crucial m4 (c400) 128GB 415, 175, ~40k IOPs

did so much research on this. My new rig isn't going to have a rpm disk boot drive. HELL NO. i want that gorgeous ssd seek times. Vertex 3 is what im looking at but maybe there is some ppls im missing. idk i plan to eventually put in raid 0 and get 240gb at ~1gb read times. I want instant application opening and bootup times. or as close as i can get with my money.

CD/DVD:
LG Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 10X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Internal Blu-ray Burner Super Multi WH12LS30 LightScribe Support - OEM

idk nething bout cd drives. i just want blu-ray doesn't need to burn em, just read em and play my movies.

Video Card:
GTX 560 Ti SLI saw the crysis 2 max graphics edition kinda like that.
GTX 580 OC (maybe SLI most likely not) (evga oc version maybe)
GTX 590 (dont even think ill ever buy this)
Radeon 6970 Crossfire (comparable to 570 sli or 580 sli idk)
Radeon 6990 (same as 590)

IDK what to go with. So many options. Definitely looking at price to performance ratio here, and i dont want nething that will melt my case, or sound like im cutting grass. IDK how to compare the cards, nor anything about ati. i understand nvidia's 500 series very well but everything before that i dont know it. (nuthing about the 400 series or ne of that)

Monitor:
Havent picked one.

IDK much about resolution really. nothing about refresh rate and 60 vs 120Hz. like: does it even matter once you pass 60 fps on a 60hz monitor. or, the human eye can only see 90 fps so it doesn't matter past that. IDK anything at all. I had the 27" imac display before and not sure if i can deal with downsizing. all i know is i want LED backlit for the thinness.

Fans/CPU cooler:
Corsair H70

Cheap, lazy-man's water cooling solution i guess. Definitely don't wanna put water pipes or rads in my rig. keep it simple. great for OCing potential i hear (or read).

Case:
Cooler Master HAFX nVidia - 200
Corsair 700D - 270
Corsair 650D - 210

Looking for great airflow and usb 3.0 on front panel. (thats a must for future-proofing) also looking for good silent case.

thanks for reading this far. i know its long. but i wanna make sure i get what i want. ive had insufficient computers in the past. and now im going for my perfect system.

Nick
Old April 4, 2011, 11:18 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I'm a little bothered as to how much that motherboard must cost. If it is too expensive there are cheaper alternatives as well to balance out your budget for other hardware.

The PSU could be changed to a better one besides CM as they do not make PSU that I would recommend using. Go for other manufacturers like Seasonic, Corsair, Antec or Silverstone.

For the SSD I'd stick to the Intel instead which should be a lot cheaper per GB than the Vertex 3 and for that kind of speed it is fast enough. I would rather have more space to a SSD so that I can run more things faster than having less space and run less things even faster.

If you're getting a GTX580 then get a 850W PSU or higher as well so that you are able to SLi it with another GTX580 and not have to upgrade your PSU to a higher wattage to support 2 cards. If you can save a little on other parts you could even consider a GTX570 SLi which has more performance than the GTX590. But as for Crysis 2 I have even seen people say that they are playing it fine on a HD6870 no problem so this setup should be more than enough.

If you have a Apple Cinema Display then hook up its mini Display Port to your GC and use that instead. My case choice would be the Corsair 650D or the clear side panel/mesh Corsair 600D white.
Old April 4, 2011, 11:57 PM
MVP

You could save a few $$: Newegg prices:

Intel Core i5-2500K $225
MSI P67A-G45
$148 (decent SLi 2x8)
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB $100

HIS HD 6950 2GB 243x2 $486
(cheapest & unlockable to 6970)
OCZ Vertex 2 120G $200
(not a bad compromise)
WD1001FALS 1TB $88

SeaSonic X Series X-850
$201 (most expensive and quite) cheaper ones are Corsair AX850>Corsair TX850V2>Antec>XFX
Other cases to consider in the same range: Inwin Dragon Rider, Fractal Design XL (most silent) ~$150ish
NoctuaNHC14 $90
mouse: Razer Deathadder or Logitech G500 or Cyborg Rat5 $60ish
Keyboard: Saitek Eclipse or razer Lycosa, LOgitech G110 $80ish
Monitor: Didn't leave much for that but for this system you can pretty much gobble up any new game on 2560x1600 resolution, and make a good show on 5670x1080. So if you're going for single 1080 monitor now, then do with one non-reference video card, like an MSI Twin Frozr III. AMD or Nvidia, add later.
Old April 5, 2011, 12:26 AM
Banned
F@H

if you go msi,gd65 and up for performance.

ud3,rather 4 for giga.

good point on the 2500k.

hr-02 for cooler? :)

2tb wd green for storage
Old April 5, 2011, 05:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not a fan of the mobo, but I don't know enough to say it's not a good choice. I don't see anything that would make me want to buy it and only a 2 year warranty on a $250 mobo is a turn off in my books.

Get a better PSU... go with a trusted brand... kingwing flowerpower units, corsair, seasonic, etc have 100% modular units that are rock solid (but you pay a premium). If you have the money to buy, getting a 1kw PSU is safer than a 850w PSU for potential SLI upgrades, but not mandatory.

I'd say wait a month or so for the SSD market to become ultra-competitive... You could easily save 10-20% in a month or two compared to now.

The GTX 560 gigabyte SOC card is pretty damn awesome if you can find one in stock. I can't suggest the GTX 580 until the price is < $420 as it's just not a reasonable $/performance ratio. Just buy a single card for now and sell+upgrade at the end of the year when the new architecture comes out. Nvidia is expecting 4x the performance over their current 500 series cards.

Buy a <$50 air cooler. Buying the H70 is a waste of your money. You can get 4.6 Ghz on air no problem. If you really want the all-in-one water, maybe the H60?

90% of the cases I would suggest for air-cooling and quiet performance don't have front panel USB 3.0, but I don't see why you make that a requirement. You can always install USB 3.0 ports in your optical bay drives and occasionally get replacement front panels that support 3.0. Also, getting USB 3.0 is future proof, but saying it has to be front panel has nothing to do with future proof, just convenience.

Monitors: If you want 27" LED, you're not gonna get anything worth buying for under $400... period. Think about your monitor requirements and your budget you're willing to put just for the monitor.
Old April 5, 2011, 06:52 AM
Rookie

What should i do for a usb 3.0 front port addition. I see some but they take a special PCI card to add to get it to work. it doesnt work on the on board mobo 3.0 headers. Could i get a case and switch out the usb 2.0's for 3.0's. I just want it for convenience really.
I do want a mobo with lots of 3.0 on the back though, plenty sata 6 and i want that efi bios! i saw the asus rampage 4. but 300+ for a mobo some how isn't justified in my book. b3 isn't important to me cause i wont be using sata 3. i might be completely ignorant on a lot of this stuff though so... yeah.
Old April 5, 2011, 08:39 AM
MVP

My System Specs

The Asus P8P67 Deluxe has a front panel USB 3.0 box that would give an extra 2 USB 3.0 connections at the front. If I am not mistaken most of the cases that you have listed has USB 3.0 at the front but they will connect to the back USB 3.0 as they have not improved to use motherboard connections instead.

The B3 stepping is for the affected SATA 3GB/s ports and the SATA 6GB/s ports are not affected and if you would want to run faster SSD's in the future the SATA 6GB/s is good to have.
Old April 5, 2011, 09:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think your mobo said it had USB 3.0 headers? You can just get any hardware that uses a USB 3.0 interface with the headers on your mobo. You can buy cables, which can sometimes be used to replace the current front panel USB ports, or optical bay units (they sit in your optical bay)... the ASUS board has an optical bay 'front panel.'

I'd look into the Raven RV01 as a pretty damn awesome case for air-flow & cooling. You might be able to work with the smaller RV02 as well... the other benefit is the rear USB 3.0 ports (off the mobo) will be on the top of your case. If you don't like that case, I can look up a couple other cases I have seen that have good air-flow.
Old April 6, 2011, 04:50 PM
Rookie

i could use a long list of cases to go through. plz do if you dont mind
Old April 6, 2011, 06:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile New Build

Case selection is such a subjective thing. I own the regular HAF X and have been very happy with it. Cheaper than the Nvidia case, yet the same except for colour.

Now SSD, I would consider buying the Vertex II. A bit cheaper yet still a great performer. Systems still don't use all of the available bandwidth/pcie lanes(?) capacity, not even close, so a V2 would still be more than enough.
Consider adding a WD Black or Samsung F3 sata 3 HDD for peripherals,storage,backup,...

The 2500K would be a good deal that can easily oc for you, for a bit less.

For psu, consider a Corsair or Silverstone modular. great psus. I think the 1000 is a bit high, but it leaves room for expansion/upgrades. One of the most important yet overlooked components for your system!

The motherboard I would choose would be Asus or gigabyte. Don't know too much about ASRock.

Ram wise, look at Mushkin, Patriot, or G Skill. Corsair is a bit pricey, but any lifetime warranty mem is usually pretty good.

Pricematch, and with any luck you could save enough on other components to get the 590!

Good luck with your selection, build and resulting system as I'm sure you'll be more than happy with it.

Tags
awesomeness , build , first build , gaming , price to performance