Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 28, 2011, 06:58 AM
Rookie

Default Most silence and speed?

Being an hardware-amateur, I turn to this sight for some answers since Iīm stuck. I want silence (prio) and then speed and the Noctua NH-D14 wonīt fit my old Arctic Cooling Silentium T2 Pro. Also Iīm wondering if a I7 always gives me a faster computer compared to an I5?

So, what gives me the most silence and speed:
Artic Cooling Silentum T2 Pro or a new Fractal Design Define R3?
Noctua NH-D14 or NH-D12? Maybe Hydro series H70 instead?
I7 or I5?

Other things than above?
Old March 28, 2011, 07:12 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Welcome to HWC.

If you want silence there are many other choices out there but I'd say if you have the money the Corsair H70 is a good choice although it also lose out to high end air coolers like the Noctua. I would go with the Fractal Design Define R3 for no reason.

The Core i7 will be faster than the Core i5 in heavily threaded applications which are mostly rendering softwares. If you're more interested in web surfing and playing games the Core i5 is good enough without the Hyper Threading that Core i7 has.
Old March 28, 2011, 07:27 AM
Banned
F@H

neither. hr-02 for full fanless operation.

depending on the tasks your computer will be accomplishing, one or the other cpu wise.

how about a cheap i3 2100? unless you do rendering and the like itll be quite nice.
Old March 28, 2011, 08:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

Silence and Speed are counterbalanced options, as you must know. You won't get speed with silence!

I would honestly grab a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ and invest in a (1) high quality, low speed low noise fan to replace the stock fan with. That should be quiet enough for most picky users, and a lot cheaper too.

i7 would give you a speed advantage over i5, most due to hyperthreading, but i5's are plenty quick themselves.
Old March 29, 2011, 07:43 AM
Rookie

Thanks for your answers, silence and speed are contradictional, I just want to know where the biggest loss are, in more volume or less speed. My computer-time is mostly web and sometimes advanced picture and music-editing. Overall I want fast flow with the best processor. But itīs all a jungle... Now whatīs most silent: Thermalright HR-02, Coolermaster Hyper 212+ or Noctua NH-D14? And then, wich power supply is most quiet?
Old March 29, 2011, 08:19 AM
Banned
F@H

the hr-02 since its made to run without fans. you can run a fan on it,if you wish.

x series seasonics are dam quiet. they have some fanless ones for lower end, or hybrid ones for mid end.
Old April 1, 2011, 02:40 AM
Rookie

Ok, thanks for answer, but hr-02 gotta be mostly based on price? What if quality is more important? Letīs say donīt worry about the money and just think quality? Then the Noctua NH-D14 got to be the best choice above? Listened to the computer below yesterday o it was ok. Someone who believes it is possible to get quieter with the same performance? If yes, how?

Fractal Design Define R3 with Fractal Design 650W
Noctua NH-D14
Asus P8P67 S1155 with i7
DDR3 1600 4GB
Old April 1, 2011, 03:14 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Take a look at my specs. I'm pretty happy with my silence and speed.
My advice: Fractal case, Corsair TX650 v2 PSU, Ninja 3 fanless.
Old April 1, 2011, 03:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie View Post
Ok, thanks for answer, but hr-02 gotta be mostly based on price? What if quality is more important? Letīs say donīt worry about the money and just think quality? Then the Noctua NH-D14 got to be the best choice above? Listened to the computer below yesterday o it was ok. Someone who believes it is possible to get quieter with the same performance? If yes, how?

Fractal Design Define R3 with Fractal Design 650W
Noctua NH-D14
Asus P8P67 S1155 with i7
DDR3 1600 4GB
If price isn't a factor forget the Fractal and the NH-D14. The HR-02 is a far superior passive heatsink, you just need a case with well designed airflow for it to perform well. Not to mention the inherent turbulence caused by the different sized fans. The Fractal fans included with the R3 aren't that silent and perform fairly inadequately. It's an excellent value "quiet" case, not a good "silent" case.

I would suggest the HR-02 as your CPU cooler and the FT02 as your case. Just try and make sure you get the new revision with the AP181 fans. They perform exceptionally well even at 500rpm, which should be inaudible for most people and barely audible for the picky. Get a PSU like the Seasonic X series or the Corsair AX series. (they're the same thing) When you think about the cost of replacing the fans on the Fractal, the FT02 (new revision) is a better value.

Also, are you going to be using the onboard graphics or buying a separate GPU?
Old April 1, 2011, 08:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, my preference is the NH-D14 hands down. I have owned most of the aforementioned coolers and find the Noctua the quietest.I must mention that I always overclock so it is possible to be quiet with another cooler, I just haven't found one that cools as well as the Noctua, and that includes any watercooling I have done. (sound wise)